2023 Esports Optimization Guide

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Niko

Re: 2023 Esports Optimization Guide

Post by Niko » 23 Mar 2023, 05:48

imprecise wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 23:46
witega wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 22:51
Thank you for your reply.

I am only on a single screen, so I theory I shouldn't be impacted? I'm running the Passmark test right now. Maybe I should try running two tests with LLM on Ultra and Off.
In theory, LLM is meant to continue accepting and processing inputs when the GPU is under 100% load and can't keep up with any new processing. Nvidia claimed 23% latency improvement in 2019 when they introduced it and ran a 2060 at 4K in order to 100% load the GPU.

https://blurbusters.com/new-nvidia-grap ... s-latency/

60 fps = 16.67ms
120 fps = 8.33ms
240 fps = 4.17ms
480 fps = 2.08ms

At 120fps, even with LLM helping, 23% improvement is only going to be 1.92 ms. At 240fps, 0.96ms. Games running at over 120fps generally don't need a low latency mode intended for 100% GPU load scenarios, this technology is best when the GPU is running a low framerate high resolution single player game. Even then, it's better to cap at a more stable framerate than use the GPU at 100%.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... when-gpu-/

To answer your question... you might see a slight improvement in responsiveness if it works correctly on your system.
Its better to use LLM per game not Globally. Its used in games when Nvidia Reflex is not supported. They both help only when GPU Bound. If you play CPU Bound game its better to disable because can cause issues. Doesnt matter if the game has 60, 120, or 240+FPS. GSynch was originally created for low FPS games & gradually expanded. But not Reflex or Ultra. The difference is one is implemented in the game engine & the other in the drivers.

PS: BTW these are Frametimes. Reflex & LLM Ultra lower Input Lag. Looks like you confused Frametimes with System Latency & Input Lag..

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 24 Mar 2023, 03:24

Sebichek45 wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 22:21
How were you able to set the wininit to real-time? using process lasso didnt change anything. Also have you tried other default “high” services too?
You could spend hours optimizing these settings, like the creator in the linked video. The approach here is to do the minimal amount of steps possible to achieve 90% or better optimization. I decrease any process from Above Normal or High if they put load on the CPU, with a few exceptions: the apps in the screenshot are left on default, and I elevate games to High. I also balance load the affinities and disable core 0 for games.

As you can see in the screenshot, the rules are applied but the priority class reports High. In the activity log, you can see Real time being reapplied by Process Lasso. There is probably a more permanent way to set this, but I'm ok with the way it works for now, especially since it can be set back to default with a couple clicks. We really shouldn't have to be changing any of these settings just to get back to Win7 performance levels, but that is the reality we face.
plrt.png
plrt.png (36.8 KiB) Viewed 8395 times

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 24 Mar 2023, 05:14

imprecise wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 03:24
Sebichek45 wrote:
How were you able to set the wininit to real-time? using process lasso didnt change anything. Also have you tried other default “high” services too?
You could spend hours optimizing these settings, like the creator in the linked video. The approach here is to do the minimal amount of steps possible to achieve 90% or better optimization. I decrease any process from Above Normal or High if they put load on the CPU, with a few exceptions: the apps in the screenshot are left on default, and I elevate games to High. I also balance load the affinities and disable core 0 for games.

As you can see in the screenshot, the rules are applied but the priority class reports High. In the activity log, you can see Real time being reapplied by Process Lasso. There is probably a more permanent way to set this, but I'm ok with the way it works for now, especially since it can be set back to default with a couple clicks. We really shouldn't have to be changing any of these settings just to get back to Win7 performance levels, but that is the reality we face.
plrt.png

Thanks. Also that savitarax guy released a video about those process lasso rules not properly applying when checked through a cmd command ( I forgot). Have you checked those out?

Also did you apply/recommend forced mode in process lasso?

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 24 Mar 2023, 08:39

Sebichek45 wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 05:14
Thanks. Also that savitarax guy released a video about those process lasso rules not properly applying when checked through a cmd command ( I forgot). Have you checked those out?

Also did you apply/recommend forced mode in process lasso?
I just watched it and verified wininit is only level 13. Even though it doesn't change the priority above 13, there is a noticeable improvement by setting it to real-time. This could just be Process Lasso keeping the CPU more alert by being more active.

Forced mode might be a good idea if you see the app/process changing to a different priority, but I haven't had this issue when using CPU Priority > Always.

I will be experimenting some more with these settings. I dropped dwm to below normal again, and it feels like games are +1 agility, but browsers seem less responsive.

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 24 Mar 2023, 20:28

Thanks for your efforts and updates o7

Will hit you up if I find anything worthy to mention or ask.

Niko

Post by Niko » 25 Mar 2023, 15:06

imprecise wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 03:24
Sebichek45 wrote:

plrt.png
Wininit cant be a reason for improvement outside of Windows boot time. You cant control Winit (not just the priority) for security reasons. It starts the system background tasks when Windows starts. You can check CPU time, Cycles or Cont.Switching to see how much CPU is using (and is it using any when game or do anything else). You probably can use ADK or WPT to record a restart & check it out further.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 31 May 2023, 20:19

imprecise wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 18:08
Adding in HPET here at the beginning due to large performance impact:

On my Win11 build I disable the HPET device in Device Manager, and run this command as an admin in Command Prompt:

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
Updating guide to reflect HPET configuration.

An article about HPET bug decreasing CPU performance:
https://www.overclockers.at/articles/th ... at-it-isnt

2018 AMD guidance to disable HPET for better performance, Intel guidance unclear:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12678/a- ... -results/3

Here's a nice video about HPET:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF-jpouz7b8

and a long forum discussion:
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/anoth ... 04/page-91

Here is some more in depth information and configurations:
viewtopic.php?t=12142

connection between HPET and synchronization drifting apart, description of desync in CSGO:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensiv ... er_out_of/

Detailed overview of configuration options:
https://www.xbitlabs.com/hpet-settings/
hpetsetup.png
hpetsetup.png (373.6 KiB) Viewed 7429 times
Last edited by imprecise on 28 Aug 2023, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Tiberiusmoon

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 01 Jun 2023, 01:19

Two things I wanna point out:

The dynamictick tweak can cause a lot of page fault errors. (recorded in latencymon.)

NULL should only be enabled if Nvidia reflex is not avaliable as reflex is designed to prevent a GPU bound scenario regardless of GPU usage.
Because of this enabling NULL with reflex will give the same latency penalty.

On a side note:
Look into HAGS, there is a good performance improvement there but has issues if your streaming.
For input latency I have found enhancing tsync policy give a noticable improvement.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 01 Jun 2023, 23:51

Niko wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 15:06
Wininit cant be a reason for improvement outside of Windows boot time. You cant control Winit (not just the priority) for security reasons. It starts the system background tasks when Windows starts.
As was discussed earlier, it appears process lasso interacting with the app is the reason the responsiveness is improved, not necessarily anything the wininit app is doing.
Tiberiusmoon wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 01:19
Two things I wanna point out:

The dynamictick tweak can cause a lot of page fault errors. (recorded in latencymon.)

NULL should only be enabled if Nvidia reflex is not avaliable as reflex is designed to prevent a GPU bound scenario regardless of GPU usage.
Because of this enabling NULL with reflex will give the same latency penalty.

On a side note:
Look into HAGS, there is a good performance improvement there but has issues if your streaming.
For input latency I have found enhancing tsync policy give a noticable improvement.
Thanks for the response. I looked into it and found that hard page faults are not errors. It happens when the hard drive is accessed instead of the RAM. When a hard page fault occurs, it's just documentation that the hard drive was accessed directly.

NULL and Reflex: my recommendation is off unless you're losing responsiveness due to overloaded GPU. Use Reflex if available, NULL for older games.

HAGS: I turned this off when I saw GPU copy load spiking to 80% every time the buffer loaded more to schedule. It's really annoying having GPU fans constantly revving up and down from this situation, even under light loads such as web browsing. I had HAGS in the Windows 10 guide but the results of turning it on/off seem to vary and I would recommend testing on/off in critical apps instead of saying one is optimal. I suspect off is optimal in most cases today, but that could easily change in the future if HAGS becomes more of a standard.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 02 Jun 2023, 21:50

imprecise wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 18:08
1. Install the latest motherboard, audio, network, and graphics drivers.
Realtek drivers usually have higher latency for ethernet and audio.
I tested the ethernet Microsoft default Windows driver vs Realtek with Xperf and Microsoft driver has alot less latency.
For audio I have to use Realtek driver to make use of the 5.1 speakers. But for games I use the monitor's audio wich is using Microsoft.
NVCleanstall for Nvidia allows to install only the graphics driver, keeps things clean. I do this with a clean Windows installation.
I always had Asus motherboards and there are two devices that I disable and never install because I felt for a long time they slow the system. One is the SM Bus (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CA2&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_00) and the other is the sensor probe (ACPI\VEN_PNP&DEV_0A0A) wich shows up as unknown on my Asus Z97-K when Windows is installed.
Feel free to test them.

When I install Windows I always unplug the network cable and once installed I pause the Windows Updates for one day and block it from updating drivers with gpedit.msc:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Do not include drivers
When I'm finished installing apps and configuring the system, I plug the cable and run the WUshowhide app from Microsoft. I run it several times until everything is hidden from WU.
As for the BIOS, I disable Spread Spectrum to keep the clock stable and Memory Scrambler (only works with ECC sticks) to avoid another layer and creating overhead.

imprecise wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 18:09
Many people suggest de-selecting core 0 for the game you are optimizing, and spreading the CPU affinities across your cores based on usage. This can be a complicated process, and may not be required if the rest of the guide here is implemented.
If people don't want to use Process Lasso they can do it by cmdline. It uses hexadecimal values.
start "" /affinity HexVal "game path"

whitebox wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 09:40
Can you explain why should we turn off Nvidia Low Latency Mode? (Currently I have it as 'Ultra').
It's better to turn it 'on' globally. It will set the frames queue at 1. If you turn it 'off' games could set a higher value.
This setting is for DX. For OpenGL you need to use Nvidia Profile Inspector and change the 'max frames allowed'.