2023 Esports Optimization Guide

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Sebichek45

Re: 2023 Esports Optimization Guide

Post by Sebichek45 » 05 Jun 2023, 07:43

MatrixQW wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 02:23
Walkarion wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 17:22
I can exclude HD audio driver when i install driver for nvidia gpu with NVCleanstall? And i understand that you dont update driver for your ethernet thats right?
Actually you don't need NVCleanstall, you can just select the graphics driver with Nvidia package and exclude the HD audio and also what InputLagger said but to be fair I never tried Nvidia HD audio driver so it can be fine. If you want to be sure use Xperf from Microsoft and test it.
And yes, ethernet I use Windows default driver.

doesn’t it have less options to tinker with in the adapter settings?

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 05 Jun 2023, 10:24

Sebichek45 wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 07:43
doesn’t it have less options to tinker with in the adapter settings?
Yes. those settings may be useful for servers but for a desktop pc and gaming there is no benefit.
I tested all of them and I didn't feel less latency while playing and neither did Xperf show latency reductions.
With ReceiveSideScaling for example I tried all cpu's combinations and not worth it for me.
And with all those settings turned off, Realtek driver had more latency than Windows default.
But like anything, test for yourself. Maybe on your PC things will go differently.

K4zuki

Post by K4zuki » 15 Jun 2023, 11:25

Messing around with the process lasso settings, there's like few bunch of windows processes that's on high priority, i set everything to normal including dwm.exe, tried putting wininit.exe to realtime it wont let me tho, only high can, and wow the mouse movement changes, its so responsive now, what about fullscreen optimization should i keep it disable ? im optimizing for valorant atm, and found that disabling fullscreen optimization makes the game feels inconsistent

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 16 Jun 2023, 10:43

K4zuki wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 11:25
Messing around with the process lasso settings, there's like few bunch of windows processes that's on high priority, i set everything to normal including dwm.exe, tried putting wininit.exe to realtime it wont let me tho, only high can, and wow the mouse movement changes, its so responsive now, what about fullscreen optimization should i keep it disable ? im optimizing for valorant atm, and found that disabling fullscreen optimization makes the game feels inconsistent
What else did you find? Have you tried messing with the timers?

K4zuki

Post by K4zuki » 18 Jun 2023, 10:10

Sebichek45 wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 10:43

What else did you find? Have you tried messing with the timers?
i just follow the forum post, i did the bcdedit command if you asking about that timer, the other optimization i do are setting win32priorityseparation to 28 hexadecimal and debloating nvidia, also i use windows 10 ltsc and disable windows update, thats it, none of these optimization give that responsive feeling but thanks to this post, the process lasso is the one that makes the most difference for me, msi thing idk but i did it anyway, my mouse were really feet so slow and sluggish, settings all the windows process to normal change it alot

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 02 Aug 2023, 14:38

I have an update to add:

I tested with the integrated microsoft networking drivers from 2006 and did find lower latency, but I also ran into issues where the drivers would just stop working and the internet would act like it was down. After testing a few different drivers, I found the newest drivers to work best even with a slightly higher latency.

I was working on Rocket League again and trying to track down what was causing the desync events, and it really seems to be network related.

--
After watching this video, I tested CSTS immediately fixed my major desync lag from default. This works by the client running 1% faster to catch up to the server when it's found to be behind, and constantly tries to adjust back down to normal game speed. If you read the comments on the video, people describe choppy movement when using this, as the game will constantly be changing speed. I did not experience this issue at first, but after playing again at a later time, I could clearly see the slowdown/speedup movement happening nonstop throughout the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WViRlYgkN_s
--

Here's the dilemma: default allows the game client to run slower than the rest of the clients. If your network buffer falls behind you're stuck behind the other clients for the rest of the game. In this situation, is the game running at 99%? I suspect it varies between 97-99% since the lag adjustments are always randomly different. Change to one of the other modes, and the client will run at 101% speed to catch up to the server, while still dropping to lower % speed whenever the lag condition happens. Now what you see from the server is more accurate, but the gameplay is constantly changing speed.

Another observation: there are different types of RL servers and you can tell by their naming convention what type of server it is... like USE-name, USE-name-additionalnumbers, USErandomstringofnumbersandletters, and I have noticed the lag buffer acts differently on each of them.

I'm not sure how exactly this relates to other games, but it seems to be the issue that keeps returning. Somewhere in the network between the client and the server, there is a buffer issue that doesn't affect all players evenly. I had a power outage in my building, resetting the building switch, and when it came back on I noticed there was no laggy network buffer to deal with, which is the same condition people report for their networking having no issues late at night but big issues during peak load hours. Resetting network equipment is an easy way to clear out cached data and return to optimal networking performance, but as end users we are not allowed that kind of access to the equipment we are using. What options do we have as end users to troubleshoot and resolve an issue that is being caused by overloaded networking?

Something I've been doing more lately is ipconfig /flushdns, as it fixes my "driver crashed" issue, but this only affects one client-sided buffer and has minimal impact on the overall issue since the buffer problems are being created somewhere on the network between the server and client.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 02 Aug 2023, 16:04

imprecise wrote:
02 Aug 2023, 14:38
I have an update to add:

I tested with the integrated microsoft networking drivers from 2006 and did find lower latency, but I also ran into issues where the drivers would just stop working and the internet would act like it was down. After testing a few different drivers, I found the newest drivers to work best even with a slightly higher latency.
When I tested this was actually long ago and I installed Realtek package driver and this one is what gave me higher latency but Windows update has a Realtek driver (without package) for my ethernet card, so I installed it some weeks ago and it's even better than Windows default driver.
I tested playing online vs bots for 3m match, so it would make use of all devices of the PC.
Here are the results with Xperf:

DPC INFO

Total = 26021 for module ndis.sys (Network Throttling=70 ; Interrupt Moderation=off, all other settings in ethernet properties also off)
Elapsed Time, > 0 usecs AND <= 1 usecs, 18729, or 71.98%
Elapsed Time, > 1 usecs AND <= 2 usecs, 6845, or 26.31%

INTERRUPT INFO

Total = 25699 for module ndis.sys
Elapsed Time, > 1 usecs AND <= 2 usecs, 25424, or 98.93%

P. D.: Installed Nvidia HD audio driver and seems just fine.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 02 Aug 2023, 19:51

imprecise wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 18:09
imprecise wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 18:08
2. Turn off "Enhance Pointer Precision" in mouse settings.
mouse.png
Another setting I found... having multiple displays at different resolutions could affect mouse behavior:
cursormovement.png
cursormovement.png (114.97 KiB) Viewed 7713 times

pcenthusiast92

Post by pcenthusiast92 » 03 Aug 2023, 12:08

imprecise wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 18:09
imprecise wrote:
2. Turn off "Enhance Pointer Precision" in mouse settings.
mouse.png
imprecise wrote:
3. Disable power savings in Device Properties.
power saving 2.png
imprecise wrote:
4. Configure network settings.
networksettings.png
Hello sir thanks for sharing your Windows Tweaks, I was wondering my windows 10 is somehow broken as you can see the MSI mode utility shows weird numbers My Nvidia GPU 1060 has like limit blank, max limit 1, the ethernet controller too (limit 1) max limit 4

as you can see here in the image: (tried to set all normal because they were set undefined, I was thinking If i set to normal they will behave better, as I have a horrendous desync in games like counter strike.

Hope you can see the image:
https://i.imgur.com/pS03sKM.png

pcenthusiast92

Post by pcenthusiast92 » 03 Aug 2023, 13:07

I also been dealing with this latency spikes with the internet integrated chipset, I have tried already downloading the official drivers of my motherboard: Asrock b350 fatality 4k gaming, modifying or tweaking the settings, also tried 3-4 different drivers and still having this Tcpip.sys /ndis.sys spikes

PC specs:
MOBO: Asrock b350 fatality k4 gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (no AF)
Patriot ddr4 2x4 3200 (configured as 2666 by manufacture recomendation)
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
SSD: crucial 240 gb it says 73% life span (according to crystal mark)
But yeah is the only ssd I have.

You can tell the dcp execution is higher 0.1+ for ndis and tcpip

Here the main tab:

I like to tweak my system a lot too, my nickname is haze or cloudhaze I used to tweak a lot back in 2011-2019 then I take a break of tweaking system.

But yeah I'm a bit tired of the desync while playing my favorite game counter strike, I also have a regular HP monitor that is 60 hertz, and I noticed that If I decided to go 100fps ingame, I start to feel visual lag, like it feels 30fps or something, then I need to type fps_max 61.5 or so to avoid the (tearing) and now the game looks less laggy, but then I feel like mouse floating, is hard to aim, etc,etc

PS: I also noticed that sometimes the latency moon gave me spikes with the: CLASSPNP.sys