Question about audio latency and REAL program

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
louf13

Question about audio latency and REAL program

Post by louf13 » 16 Mar 2023, 00:26

Hello,

My current audio output device is an Astro A40tr headset with the mixamp pro. https://www.astrogaming.com/en-ca/produ ... 01660.html

I've been interested in the benefits of the REAL audio latency program, which claims to reduce latency by reducing the buffer size of the audio. But it doesn't work for USB audio apparently. So my options are to either plug the headset directly into the motherboards line out port, which should theoretically allow me to use the HD audio device drivers and obtain ~2ms buffer size. Or I can use the optical cable from the mixamp to the rear of my motherboards spdif port. This sets the buffer size to ~7ms from the original 10ms I get from using the mimxamp normally and just using usb audio.

But I've read some posts where ASTRO employees were saying that using the optical cable on PC can actually increase audio latency because the motherboard doesn;t properly support 5.1 audio and so it has to be process by the motherboard in addition to being processed by the mixamp or something along those lines. Audio isn't really my domain and so that is why i'd love your guys opinions on this. I've also read that onboard audio can introduce input lag as well, which is why I currently have it disabled.

My motherboard is the Asus Rog Strix z690-f and I currently have the onboard audio disabled and am just using the usb audio from the mixamp.

If my goal is to get the lowest audio latency possible on my PC, without upgrading my hardware, what configuration should I use? USB, SPDIF, or the line out port? I also noticed that using SPDIF allows me to change the sample rate of the headphones. By default they are locked at 2 channel 16bit 48000 on USB, but on SPDIF I can change it to 32bit 48000 which I assume would be better quality, no? Let me know what you guys think, and whether one option offers better latency at the cost of quality or vice versa. Thank you.

deama

Re: Question about audio latency and REAL program

Post by deama » 03 Apr 2023, 10:50

How do you test your audio latency?