Weird "Mouse Trail" issue

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
o.Qv

Re: Weird "Mouse Trail" issue

Post by o.Qv » 18 Mar 2023, 19:36

sooooooo update time:

reinstalled windows -- issue persists

-i did recognize that using the mouse @ 1000 hz instead of 4000 reduces the gaps by a large margin
-everything below 175hz removes the Gaps competely (144,120,100,60)

il try to get a gaming session going tomorow, to see if it is purely cosmetic or i can sense anythign off ingame
imprecise wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 13:10
I was thinking it was from using a nonstandard refresh rate (not a multiple of 24 or 30)... now that you tested on another nonstandard refresh rate on a second monitor it does seem to be probable. I remember seeing registry edits for the mouse curve, and there were different ones for different refresh rates. Another possibility could be from exceeding the limitations of graphics cable and/or graphics ports. It could also just be a result of overclocking the monitors past their optimal specs.
i did thos regedits but they didnt change the behaviour. Going to order a new DP cable next week just to check
sherifmagdy32 wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 09:26
mmmm i do not know if what i am thinking is correct i am not that knowledgeable in this area but if you are interested can you try to download and install "https://mouseacceleration.com/" use it to make acceleration constant by making the sensitivity 1 a straight line
i am thinking the gap is because of a sudden increase in acceleration I might be wrong
also would mess around with
"Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Set up Mouse Keys"
with the top speed and acceleration combination here and see if it has any effect on that
In my own opinion, i think having the top speed set to the lowest
and acceleration to the highest would give the most consistent results
il get your idea, but im pretty sure i would recognize a change in accel or speed. I'm very sensitive to my mouse feel :)

again guys thx for all your input ! :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Mar 2023, 13:53

o.Qv wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 19:36
-i did recognize that using the mouse @ 1000 hz instead of 4000 reduces the gaps by a large margin
Hmmm. That's another clue, 4000Hz vs 1000Hz.

There can be many reasons why a high Hz mouse overloads the system intermittently/cyclic, creating gaps.
A lot of systems / software are just borderline unable to handle the poll rate. In many cases, 2000Hz uses 75% less CPU than 8000Hz.
Have you tried a PCIe USB card for your high-Hz mouse?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

WolFy19

Post by WolFy19 » 19 Mar 2023, 15:40

Hi, i have the same issues, did u found a fix ? It does the same in game, skipping frame.

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 19 Mar 2023, 18:46

Are you using native resolutions of your monitor, or custom? I noticed I get this in some custom resolutions I make, also (on some pcs) playing with the timers in command prompt can cause this

o.Qv

Post by o.Qv » 19 Mar 2023, 19:36

sooooo when i play aoe 4 and i turn "Adaptie sync compatible" on in my amd driver the gaps go away ingame after a few second, when i alt tab to desktop theyre back.

when i turn adaptive sync off, gaps stay even ingame

also weird is when the game loads it drops to like 30 hz before it works its ways up to 175hz and its smooth again, like its exreeemely stuttering... dunno if thals normal during load times

hmmmmm is there anyway i can test my gsync module for failure ? or get my monitor hz displayed live ?
its an alienware aw3423DW

EDIT: Im on Native resolution nothing custom

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 20 Mar 2023, 02:32

Sounds like the monitor/resolution settings then, have you tried custom resolutions with different timings? Like try using “exact” refresh rate in CRU, so say, 240.00 hz instead of 239.937, etc

o.Qv

Post by o.Qv » 20 Mar 2023, 08:26

just changed the cable, still there :(

so quick sum up:

1.)everything below 175hz removes the Gaps competely (144,120,100,60) -- made me think its frameskipping, tested it but no frameskipping at 175 hz (tested via https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping)

2.) running the mouse @ 1000 hz instead of 4000hz reduces the gaps by a large margin, they are still there though just way less frequent -- made me think issue with the mouse, tested with different mouse (allthough it was cable bound so 1000hz), gaps still there

3.) Cable replaced (8k Vesa certified) -- issue persists

4.) fresh win11 install (ghost spectre and retail) -- issue persists

5.) CPU and RAM are tested. Just to make sure im clean in this departement

6.) USB powersaving, C-state control, legacy USB Mode -- all no effect

7.) in Age of Empires 4
o.Qv wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 19:36
sooooo when i play aoe 4 and i turn "Adaptie sync compatible" on in my amd driver the gaps go away ingame after a few second, when i alt tab to desktop theyre back.

when i turn adaptive sync off, gaps stay even ingame

also weird is when the game loads it drops to like 30 hz before it works its ways up to 175hz and its smooth again, like its exreeemely stuttering... dunno if that's normal during load times
(NOTE: Maybe related to exclusive fullscreen, or AMD card + gsync Module ??)
BUT: in dota2 gaps stay

Next steps i going to try:
1.) Hooking my wifes PC to my Monitor
2.) Replacing my AMD card with my wife's NVIDIA
3.) Setting a custom Resolution with CRU@exactly 175hz even though i think that's a bit far fetched (no offense just my opinion)
4.) Trying windows 10 from my work notebook
5.)
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 13:53
o.Qv wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 19:36
Hmmm. That's another clue, 4000Hz vs 1000Hz.

There can be many reasons why a high Hz mouse overloads the system intermittently/cyclic, creating gaps.
A lot of systems / software are just borderline unable to handle the poll rate. In many cases, 2000Hz uses 75% less CPU than 8000Hz.
Have you tried a PCIe USB card for your high-Hz mouse?
i know nobody that has one, so not easy to try. but i made sure its the only device on the that USB controller via USB-Treeview + since it persists to some degree even with a cable bound mouse @ 100hz i'm going to postpone this

6.) Exorcism !

as always i'm down for suggestions.
A method to live monitor my Screen's hz would be helpfull. If someone can share me ideas i'd be gratefull
wish me luck, shit is starting to get annoying .... :?

PS: sorry for my probably fuckedup grammar, i'm trying though ! =)

o.Qv

Post by o.Qv » 20 Mar 2023, 09:29

Mr1991 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 08:50
I’ve had this issue when I set up certain custom resolutions, or mess with timers in bcdedit, so no, not always electric.
Reporting back:
plugged my wifes pc into my monitor --- everything bueno

ergo -- Monitor is fine

pulled out my 6900xt, put my wifes 1080 in -- voila, all fine

the resolution on the 1080 was set to 174,9 something something... so for now i guess u were right all along Mr1991, but in the opposite way ^^ :)
UPDATE: Need some help with CRU im too dumb to understand all its settings, and afraid to use it ^^

atm, with my radeon card back in it says: "175hz" ... so maybe i can fix this with going a little under 175hz
going to try a driver rollback aswell UPDATE: Rollback didn't fix it

"or mess with timers in bcdedit" u think could be a ram issue aswell ?

i just built this pc few days ago and with my old board/ram/CPU i didn't have those issues.
I'm Running G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RK at stock XMP 6400 on MSI Unify-x. Bought this setup to fiddle around with later on when life is giving me more time .. atleast thats what i thought ... goddamnit

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 20 Mar 2023, 14:10

So it works with a different graphics card? Yes download CRU to see exactly what the resolution is

Just curious, where was you checking to see where it says your refresh rate, on the monitor itself both times?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 20 Mar 2023, 14:22

Mr1991 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 14:10
So it works with a different graphics card? Yes download CRU to see exactly what the resolution is

Just curious, where was you checking to see where it says your refresh rate, on the monitor itself both times?
His particular monitor model contains a newer G-SYNC module that supports hardware G-SYNC with a Nvidia GPU, and FreeSync via an AMD GPU.

His AMD GPU is exhibiting the mouse issue, while his Nvidia GPU apparently is not, so it's possible the FreeSync functionality on that particular model does not use or fully use the module and reverts to software-level behavior which might be contributing to the issue he's seeing. I.E. possible resolution timing issues when using an AMD GPU outside the native Nvidia GPU module mode.

It's definitely an atypical scenario, and only recently possible due to how few monitor models contain these newer dual-purpose modules. Most monitor models either contain a G-SYNC module and only support hardware-level VRR operation on Nvidia GPUs, or don't contain a module and only support software-level VRR on an AMD GPU (FreeSync) or an Nvidia GPU (G-SYNC Compatible).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)