Reshade, GPU and bottleneck

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
hejonar

Reshade, GPU and bottleneck

Post by hejonar » 30 Mar 2023, 13:41

I am trying ReShade for a certain game that also needs lowest input lag possible. Game is very CPU dependent, in fact I am CPU bottlenecked, while GPU runs at 40% usage tops. I found few ReShade scripts that I wanted to run and noticed that they all combined require like 0.01m/s of CPU and 3.00m/s of GPU, at least according to ReShade itself.

I am not sure how Input Lag works from technical level. So how would running those post-process scripts would affect my input latencies? Given I have massive GPU headroom and game is running with FPS limiter, would those extra 3m/s be still added?

Note, I have tried software called CapFrameX and according to it those 3m/s are added(22m/s->25m/s). But I've also read somewhere that Input Lag can't be measured by software and CapFrameX Input Lag measurement is purely synthetic.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Reshade, GPU and bottleneck

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Mar 2023, 17:16

It depends on how powerful your GPU is.

On one GPU, the same ReShade filter may add +10ms lag, and on a different GPU, the same ReShade value may add only +0.3ms of lag. Or maybe +20ms versus +0.1ms. Or maybe +5ms vs +2ms. It depends on the filter, depends on ReShade configuration, and depends on how fast your GPU can execute the ReShade filter. Some filters execute in only 0.1ms on a RTX 4090 GPU.

The slower your GPU, the more costly a ReShade filter is.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hejonar

Re: Reshade, GPU and bottleneck

Post by hejonar » 30 Mar 2023, 18:49

That's very interesting, I had no idea it works this way. Thanks.