someone fixed netcode and even hitreg and desync just by ram timings...

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
blackmagic

someone fixed netcode and even hitreg and desync just by ram timings...

Post by blackmagic » 19 Apr 2023, 07:39

some day ago i find this clip on valorant reddit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CB8P0-hJRQ

what you think about this guys ?

just another placebo and bullshit fix ?

he talks in this clip about unreal engine and how wrong ram timings can fuck up everything and more things like which already was suggested here on blurbusters too...

but just watch the clip by yourself...

@winkli YT

Ever been one tapped before even turning the corner? Tapped when clearly holding the deeper angle? Swung by a Sukhoi SU-35 Jett? Valorant has been plagued with poor netcode, desynced hitreg, and impossibly bad frame pacing/input lag as a result of using 128 tick Unreal Engine 4. [TLDR IN DESCRIPTION]

No one had been able to solve the strange hit registration, shots that fly clean THROUGH hitboxes, and obscene peeker's advantage, even negative peeker's advantage that presented ONLY in Valorant - an equation with more than 5 unknowns. Today I'll show you how to rectify all these using EXTERNAL NVIDIA/AMD Framerate FPS caps and Modifying Ram slot placement and timings to 'correct' timings according to Valorant's sensitive netcode.

Unreal is more suscept than any other engine to desync and input lag, with Rising Storm and Red Orchestra being NOTORIOUS for having horrendous desync, FPS coded fire rate, movement and hitreg. Valorant is seemingly similar running on the same exact base engine of Unreal 4 modified to suit Riot's needs, but with the same gripes and sufferings such as an inconsistent frame time, poor frame pacing, a broken frame rate cap, netcode coded as minions tied to both reflex, FPS, and low latency mode.

This affected swaths of the playerbase with no solution for more than 2 years. Riot games has been caught once again saying they 'fixed netcode' this patch (again) just days prior.
Join me as I show how I solved Valorant's garbage hitreg across 3 vastly different PC's.

If you're overclocking this may be an especially big issue since you'll be fully stable on memtest HCI, but the game plays like garbage for no particular reason -

---TLDR---:
1. Network device priority should be set either to High (correction from last vid), USB devices High, GPU being on LOW priority for the time being. Mind that some Wifi and ethernet adapters, especially the new intel line, require MSI MODE; and will BSOD on linebased mode. Avoid SATA/NVME modes but set prios to Low for Ryzen.

2. The in engine frame rate cap results in horrid frame pacing and causes you to miss shots you had hit, or see bullets flying through a phantom target whose hitbox isn't even there. Turn on FPS Cap on NVIDIA Control, or CHILL in AMD Control, with cap to your monitor's refresh. Then Use FAST VSYNC / ENHANCED SYNC respective.

3. Set of RAM timings I found can give consistent netcode in Valorant:
1-2-2-4 in that ratio -- I use 12-24-24-48 with 12 being the Cas Latency and 48 being the TRAS. Anything outside this range or ratios of 1.33333 and 1.5, appear to have horrendous desync when run in Valorant's comp games.

4. With all this in mind seat your ram in slots 2/3 to train consistent input lag for every single time you turn on your PC. This will force the motherboard, at least in theory, to train your ram in adverse conditions to yield the best possible tight timings and latencies than otherwise having too wide a range of stable possible timings in slots 2/4. You can also try training it on slightly lower voltage than the operating voltage in order to force stable timings that will not error when heated or stressed. This ensures that your PC boots to identical input lag every reboot.

espresso

Re: someone fixed netcode and even hitreg and desync just by ram timings...

Post by espresso » 19 Apr 2023, 15:55

In his comment he writes:
CS:GO from what I can see has the cleanest if not the most flawless netcode I have ever touched, with 128tick being extremely smooth and 64 tick being bread and butter. Valve's integrity when it comes to preserving their own market and playerbase without gaslighting the crap out of them is fairly flawless
HAHAHAHHAHAHA he either has never played CSGO or the dude is fully delusional.

Zodasaur

Post by Zodasaur » 19 Apr 2023, 16:00

Tried it and it made absolutely no difference to hitreg...

blackmagic

Post by blackmagic » 20 Apr 2023, 11:50

maybe there a chance that this gonna help someone :lol:

just posted it hear and want know your opinion about this clip and all this...

AyayronPlays

Post by AyayronPlays » 20 Apr 2023, 17:19

There is a part of the video where he claims memory training is affected by... heat and humidity?

Heat of the dimms, not being an expert on ram, I could believe it, but humidity? I find that a little rediculous.

I'm not sure how to feel about this video, it's quite clear that he's basing all of this off of "feel" as opposed to anything actually quantifiable.

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 27 Apr 2023, 12:17

Zodasaur wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 16:00
of course not, since hitreg is not clientsided

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 28 Apr 2023, 20:59

blackmagic wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 07:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CB8P0-hJRQ

---TLDR---:
1. Network device priority should be set either to High (correction from last vid), USB devices High, GPU being on LOW priority for the time being. Mind that some Wifi and ethernet adapters, especially the new intel line, require MSI MODE; and will BSOD on linebased mode. Avoid SATA/NVME modes but set prios to Low for Ryzen.

2. The in engine frame rate cap results in horrid frame pacing and causes you to miss shots you had hit, or see bullets flying through a phantom target whose hitbox isn't even there. Turn on FPS Cap on NVIDIA Control, or CHILL in AMD Control, with cap to your monitor's refresh. Then Use FAST VSYNC / ENHANCED SYNC respective.

3. Set of RAM timings I found can give consistent netcode in Valorant:
1-2-2-4 in that ratio -- I use 12-24-24-48 with 12 being the Cas Latency and 48 being the TRAS. Anything outside this range or ratios of 1.33333 and 1.5, appear to have horrendous desync when run in Valorant's comp games.

4. With all this in mind seat your ram in slots 2/3 to train consistent input lag for every single time you turn on your PC. This will force the motherboard, at least in theory, to train your ram in adverse conditions to yield the best possible tight timings and latencies than otherwise having too wide a range of stable possible timings in slots 2/4. You can also try training it on slightly lower voltage than the operating voltage in order to force stable timings that will not error when heated or stressed. This ensures that your PC boots to identical input lag every reboot.
I found this approach pretty interesting. I think he may be onto something with searching for stable frame pacing, but the RAM advice doesn't make much sense. Most motherboards are optimized for 1/3 slot usage for dual channel. Using 2 and 3 would likely cause single-channel (half bandwidth) performance, and a lot of motherboards will have worse performance when using 4 DIMMs or any slots other than 1&3. Some mobos with 4 DIMMs can run quad-channel but it's rare and probably makes gaming performance worse. It's possible their RAM is just not good enough to be set on fast, or they might have a defective motherboard. Another possibility is single channel RAM just works better in Valorant, but I kind of doubt it. As far as the timings being trained... that sounds like a motherboard feature, not something gamers can just expect to happen automatically. All my timings are set in BIOS manually or by selecting XMP modes. Another thing to keep in mind is MOST computers can't do XMP at all. If you didn't select each component and build your PC, XMP is probably going to cause problems.

I will probably be testing out different MSI priorities after watching this video. Right now I've lowered all devices to 1 max MSI channel so they don't saturate the PCI lanes and set priorities to unassigned since setting priority is an added layer of complexity for the drivers to process. I've seen multiple recommendations to increase network adapter priority and priority on old devices that are like pci-e x1. I've seen mixed results when people set GPU to high priority: sometimes better, sometimes worse performance. I might look into PSP some more also since they mentioned disabling it.

winkli

Post by winkli » 29 May 2023, 01:57

Nice to see that people have found this.

Some addresses to your questions and skepticism:

Personally this is what I run at this time:
5.1GHz Unified core and cache on a 12900KF with 1.35V LLC3, IO LLC2 and AVX disabled entirely
5100MHz DDR4 @ 20-30-30-70-100 1T command Rate RAM, 2 sticks of 8gb Team Xtreem Black RGB 4800MHz
GALAX 3070ti with +850 or +1700MHz VRAM and locked core at first voltage point on boost (do not try +1700MHz on other GPUs, it will crash) Either keep your Vram OC on 0 or 850, (haven't tested 425 or anything else inbetween) [GPUs are known to change memory timings depending on vram speed and load - but NVIDIA does not specify or grant control on it, only AMD does]

PCIE 3 on all devices except the chipset since I'm trying out my PCIE wifi which is immune to USB priority delays
VL805 3.0 for mouse and keyboard USB controller card by FOVORE

I just set the priority of my USB controllers and WIFI to high, and all else to low and linebased, the AX210 Wifi onboard that I have will only operate on MSI mode enabled for that particular device.

When running single channel mode everything is a tad snapper and frame pacing is well smoother. At speeds this high Dual channel hardly matters to hit around 400 in CS and 240+ in valorant. These timings and placement train my ram at RTLs of 50/51, extremely low and on every single boot.

It matters that the external FPS cap is a huge improvement to hitreg over the in game cap, and the Ram timings ensure that the game is interacting with data storage and retrieval properly. Obviously this afects all games, but since Valorant's bandwidth is comically large on 128 tick interpolated, data I theorise would fire at a higher rate than CS:GO or any other shooter.

Oh yeah do not use Rawinput buffer if you use USB internet. It will buffer all USB devices on that including the Wifi/Ethernet adapter. Riot spaghetcode.

Now when I play there is 0 desync. Only you get the minimal peeker's advantage as you go upwards of 3300 hours into LEM-global elite MM, where pros and faceit enjoyers are quick enough and built to the point where they will be faster than you by training - and in the realms of human possibility.

If you are in the market to get new graphics cards, go with the 4070ti, 3070ti, and other TI cards. There's something about them that is likely just a better design. My 3080 runs like a brick compared to my 3070ti, galax for both, I've even had Zotac 3090's with reference PCB's, but so far the 70ti cards have been doing me good for shielding and good highly consistent input lag. Speculation aside, the Galax 4070ti and 3070ti series overclock the VRAM close to 17% over the stock settings with a simple thermal pad changeover to Gelid/Thermalrights, which is unheard of on any other card. I've mastered the 3070ti, but only had hands on the 4070ti for my customer recently -- the memory chips clock far better, beyond the 12000MHz mark in Afterburner.
Last edited by winkli on 29 May 2023, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

winkli

Post by winkli » 29 May 2023, 01:58

Unreazz wrote:
27 Apr 2023, 12:17
Zodasaur wrote:
of course not, since hitreg is not clientsided
The client must interpret hitreg sent by the server, and must submit movement, intent, and fired shots to the server as vector and location data. If it is sent too early, too late, or out of order, Massive desync will ensue. This is a trivial misconception.

winkli

Post by winkli » 29 May 2023, 02:00

Zodasaur wrote:
Depends if you had the issue to begin with, what settings you have applied, and if you've got any issues besides it. Ram timings is just part 2 of externally capping the FPS of the game. You can't really have either or - only both at the same time.

The game presenting is Valorant. CSGO and others have identical but far less noticeable effects.