Currently the best settings for Apex Legends

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Tiberiusmoon

Currently the best settings for Apex Legends

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 23 Apr 2023, 06:59

Since I have seen the odd mention of Apex on the forums I though i'd post a guide here.

Now these settings are low latency statictically without IRL latency testing, I consider the FPS, Variances, Drops in FPS and GPU usage which have shown to be significant in IRL latency tests.
This is also with the assumption your system and drivers are up to date and stable.
Each system setup can be different, so your results may differ. (Learn to use CapFrameX and post your results)

Edit: It turns out my GPU usage in Dx12 games was held back by a chipset driver update making Dx11 the best option, I have correct the post
Currently Dx12 will provides low latency while Dx11 provides more FPS throughput when compared to eachother without Nvidia reflex.

BIOS:
If you have 6 or more cores on your CPU disable hyperthreading and the following regardless: C-states, intel speed step, speed shift, and do the same the AMD equivalent.
If your familiar with CPU frequency and voltage tweaks just set all cores to their respective boost clock rating and voltage. (disable CPU core voltage offsets)
Enable 4G decoding, (resizble bar is optional but not utilised properly so it should be left off.)

OS tweaks:
To avoid mistypes in the registry download this app: https://github.com/SanGraphic/QuickBoost/releases
You can save the exe somewhere if you wish to undo settings.
Click Enable Exclusive fullscreen & disable xbox gamebar.
Then Install timer resolution service.
In the advanced section click disable Preemption.
Install RTSS and set the frame cap to 295 for r5apex_dx12.exe. (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rt ... nload.html)
-Right click your desktop > display settings > graphics > change default graphics settings.
Enable all options in this window except Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling.
-Settings > gaming > game mode: Enable game mode.

Dx12 Apex Low latency

Ingame:
Fullscreen
Native resolution
FOV scaling: off
Sprint view shake: Minimal
V-sync: disabled
Nvidia reflex: On +Boost
Adapt res FPS target: 0
AA: none
Dynamic stream budget: Disabled
Tex streaming budget: 3GB
Tex filtering: Bilinear
Everything below that is set to Low or disabled.
Launcher commands: -novid +fps_max unlimited -high

Nvidia Control panel:
All settings should be controlled by application, off or auto -in that order- except for the mentioned settings:
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Preferred refresh rate: highest
Tex filtering, Aniosotropic sample: On
Tex filtering, LOD bias: Allow
Tex filtering, quality: High Performance
Tex filtering, Trilinear optimisations: On
Threaded optimisation: On

Notes on settings choice:
-Tex streaming budget and Tex filter quality.
Using the right combination will reduce frame spikes, you can use no Tex stream budget with High performance but its a negligible difference in frame variance and more erratic FPS, given the visual benefits and consistency, 3GB and performance is chosen.

Dx12 vs Dx11 (after tweaking for the best settings)

FPS Avg: