So I borrowed my friend's XBOX...

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
RamenRider

So I borrowed my friend's XBOX...

Post by RamenRider » 08 May 2023, 13:27

And the Xbox One X has less input lag than both a PS4 and Windows. Using same monitor and outlets(EMI is rare).

The Xbox feels exactly the way older setups/gaming hardware is supposed to feel, no floaty mouse, no DWM forced vsync, no nothing. Just pure bliss.

Why can't I get my PC to feel this good? Do I really have to use a custom rom? Do I really need to mod my bios to unlock HPET? *cough MSI x570 meg ace cough*(If anyone knows how) Something is terribly evil with Windows, I might need to resort to calling Jesus just to rebuke this demon.

FPSMaster

Re: So I borrowed my friend's XBOX...

Post by FPSMaster » 09 May 2023, 06:35

There is no logical explanation why a XBOX Series X Should have less lag then a modern PC. Either you are experiencing Placebo or the XBOX has less Emi then your PC.

There are countless tests that show Consoles have at least 20-40ms more lag then PC, because they often run with 97-100% GPU Utilization and they have less FPS then PC. 120FPS max vs 300+ FPS on PC (Or even more, if you play games like CS GO)

dervu

Post by dervu » 09 May 2023, 11:00

Now go with your PC to your friends place.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

blackmagic

Post by blackmagic » 09 May 2023, 12:39

xbox series s here...

all same bad like on my pc 1:1.
but im not rly an console player and never was...

i buy it only to compare how rocket league gonna behave on xbox and then compared it with my pc...

i think that only and best game where you can look and compare and see all the bullshit with your own eyes. if you rly experience some issues and need some proof for yourself that you are dont crazy...

shooters on console is bad idea to compare something because the swtich from keyboard to controllers/joysticks are 2 very different things and worlds. very hard to adapt and or tell some difference...it needs much time and experience but then you need to play on your pc too with controllers/joysticks...

if you want compare your console vs pc and see some difference in your input lag...then go for online race games or fight games or even fifa where you easy can play and fast adapt to controllers/joysticks in such games...on both console and pc.
that way more easy and will be more accurate and give better results to you.

RamenRider

Post by RamenRider » 10 May 2023, 08:19

blackmagic wrote:
09 May 2023, 12:39
xbox series s here...

shooters on console is bad idea to compare something because the swtich from keyboard to controllers/joysticks are 2 very different things and worlds. very hard to adapt and or tell some difference...it needs much time and experience but then you need to play on your pc too with controllers/joysticks...

if you want compare your console vs pc and see some difference in your input lag...then go for online race games or fight games or even fifa where you easy can play and fast adapt to controllers/joysticks in such games...on both console and pc.
Sir I didn't play shooters. I would never play shooters on a console. I played stuff like PSO2 and Ace Combat 7 and fighters games which I would also play on my PC. When I said no floaty mouse I meant everything was so responsive it was incredible, felt like 2015 again. The button response, was immediate, even moving and selecting stuff on the menu felt heavenly. And I would never touch a EA game either.

>Xbox Series S
Released 2020

>Xbox One X
Released 2017

See perhaps we are getting into the root cause of all of this input lag here. Something happened from between then and now that caused modern gaming to have such bad latency. DWM vsync most likely. Maybe even something with timers and HPET too cause that's another big factor.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 10 May 2023, 09:54

RamenRider wrote:
10 May 2023, 08:19
blackmagic wrote:
09 May 2023, 12:39
xbox series s here...

Sir I didn't play shooters. I would never play shooters on a console. I played stuff like PSO2 and Ace Combat 7 and fighters games which I would also play on my PC. When I said no floaty mouse I meant everything was so responsive it was incredible, felt like 2015 again. The button response, was immediate, even moving and selecting stuff on the menu felt heavenly. And I would never touch a EA game either.

>Xbox Series S
Released 2020

>Xbox One X
Released 2017

See perhaps we are getting into the root cause of all of this input lag here. Something happened from between then and now that caused modern gaming to have such bad latency. DWM vsync most likely. Maybe even something with timers and HPET too cause that's another big factor.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11847&p=93313#p93313

RamenRider

Post by RamenRider » 10 May 2023, 16:53

dervu wrote:
09 May 2023, 11:00
EMI is rare and most people who think they have it are chasing after monkeys. Why would I take the time to go set up at a house where I don't know if the EMI is good in the first place?
FPSMaster wrote:
09 May 2023, 06:35
There is no logical explanation why a XBOX Series X Should have less lag then a modern PC. Either you are experiencing Placebo or the XBOX has less Emi then your PC.

There are countless tests that show Consoles have at least 20-40ms more lag then PC, because they often run with 97-100% GPU Utilization and they have less FPS then PC. 120FPS max vs 300+ FPS on PC (Or even more, if you play games like CS GO)
Yes it has frame drops but the latency is something you can also feel. People are smart enough to assert the difference(usually if they are on forums like these).
Last edited by RamenRider on 14 May 2023, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » 11 May 2023, 08:10

microsoft wants you playing on your xbox

dervu

Post by dervu » 11 May 2023, 12:45

RamenRider wrote:
10 May 2023, 16:53
dervu wrote:
09 May 2023, 11:00
EMI is rare and most people who think they have it are chasing after monkeys. Why would I take the time to go set up at a house where I don't know if the EMI is good in the first place?
Well, you can keep playing on that xbox and see if it still feels great at your place, that would rule that out too.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor