Halo Infinite adding input lag when volume is changed, among other things

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ArcadeGamer1929

Halo Infinite adding input lag when volume is changed, among other things

Post by ArcadeGamer1929 » 14 May 2023, 14:17

Hi, I used to get virtually no input lag in Halo Infinite (even with V-Sync enabled). Since Season 3 released, it's been infuriating input-lag galore, it's much better now and I'm not sure why, but the big problem now is that no matter what I do, if the game is in fullscreen (borderless since it's a DX12 game) and I use the volume keys, a bunch of input-lag gets added until I Alt-Tab twice.

I've tried disabling the in-game V-Sync and forcing it in the NVIDIA Control Panel, it gets ignored in fullscreen mode and tears anyway; in windowed it seems to work at a glance, but every 10 seconds or so, the game feels like it's dipped from a consistent 60 fps to about 15 or 20 fps before rectifying itself after a few seconds, what's weirder about this is that the in-game FPS counter, Xbox Game Bar, and RTSS all report 60 fps whenever this happens, it even happens when the framerate is capped via RTSS and the frametimes are still reported as a consistent 16.7 ms.

So until I find a solution, I have to choose between randomly-occurring undetectable "stuttering", tearing, not changing my volume at all, or just going back to using my Xbox One S for Halo Infinite.
If it helps, I'm using an Optimus laptop, and the internal display isn't a G-SYNC nor FreeSync monitor. This also happens with both the Microsoft Store and Steam versions of the game.