Valorant's Netcode Desync Fixed with RAM Timings and Nvidia FPS Caps

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Traveler

Re: Valorant's Netcode Desync Fixed with RAM Timings and Nvidia FPS Caps

Post by Traveler » 30 May 2023, 08:16

winkli wrote:
29 May 2023, 02:27
Ditch Coolermaster power supplies and disconnect any RGB USB bs. Don't underpower your PC with a subsized PSU, ensure you get your new builds with a PSU of the following:
Superflower,
EVGA,
ANDYSON,
Thermaltake,
Gamdias,
MSI,
No SeaSonic?

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 31 May 2023, 06:10

winkli wrote:
18 May 2023, 20:19
I now have somewhat significant volumes of data to support that there is indeed a strong correlation with changing the DRAM timings to fall within certain ratios to better the hitreg in Valorant.

As to why this is the case, it is a solution to a 5-10 variable equation that commits both Reflex, ULL, DRAM timing ratios, External and internal FPS caps, and a god awful engine called Unreal 4 that Valorant is developed on.

The issue with Valorant is that the netcode is extremely desynced on some systems, whilst being perfectly fine on either the majority of systems. Most people from my line of work (building PC's and diagnosing them) never turn on XMP -- a portion of about 80% of my customers, especially those who get prebuilts.

This lets them run JEDEC or DEFAULT motherboard timings and speeds -- if you're on the correct one, which is 2133 with timings sets of 19-19-19-39. or 17-17-17-35, 15-19-19-39, even 15-17-17-35[not sure about this one but there was one with 17 in it] Then they would largely have 0 issues with the game itself.

Now the more enlightened members of our society would cringe at the thought of wasting money on XMP that was never activated, and thus would use it at a 1:1 ratio, with sufficient or even over sufficient SOC and IO voltages to ensure that it runs correctly with a million memtest passes.

However, the engine, anticheat, or whatever machinations that windows runs on, will not allow timings outside of certain ratios being
1-1-1-[2 or 3], 1-2-2-4, 1-1.5-1.5-3.5, to work correctly or those JEDEC timing odd ratios I discuss above.

Take the current cas latency of your ram and your current speed, then multiply the cas latency by the set of ratios above, applying it to the ram timings from Cas latency down to TRAS latency.

Now this is quite intriguing as while we know that each number stands for the row, cell, and column refresh times etc etc, it doesn't exactly tell us what the optimal numbers are that each will fall in line with the other.

I'm not sure how this works -- I can only theorise that maybe there is a phenomenon similar to a cache miss or out of order data being received or sent, or that Vanguard actively polls the ram speed against the timings both of which it might be viewing within windows as a ring 0 program.

It is to note that your USB network adapters need to be balanced [singled out] on USB ports against other things like mouse and keyboard to minimise jitter interference, which will have a similar effect on the end netcode. It's sometimes good in cheap cases to unplug the front panel USB altogether since badly shielded ones act as an antenna.

Finally set an FPS cap to the refresh of your monitor with fast sync on or off depending on if you mind having some random frame drops without the associated input lag -- you can cap it to refresh rate -1 to get a smoother experience since Valorant's engine has issues keeping up with the NVIDIA cap when it does go over the limit.

Reflex and ULL can be enabled finally, as a result. DO NOT USE RAWINPUT BUFFER if you use USB NIC's or WIFI since it appears to buffer the NIC as well as the mouse and keyboard (VERY BAD).

Let me know if this also helps you :)

I can’t seem to put my tras higher than 58T the bios says the range is between 21-58 T. I have xmp disabled. any tips?

winkli

Post by winkli » 24 Jun 2023, 02:43

Sebichek45 wrote:
31 May 2023, 06:10
winkli wrote:
18 May 2023, 20:19
I now have somewhat significant volumes of data to support that there is indeed a strong correlation with changing the DRAM timings to fall within certain ratios to better the hitreg in Valorant.

As to why this is the case, it is a solution to a 5-10 variable equation that commits both Reflex, ULL, DRAM timing ratios, External and internal FPS caps, and a god awful engine called Unreal 4 that Valorant is developed on.

The issue with Valorant is that the netcode is extremely desynced on some systems, whilst being perfectly fine on either the majority of systems. Most people from my line of work (building PC's and diagnosing them) never turn on XMP -- a portion of about 80% of my customers, especially those who get prebuilts.

This lets them run JEDEC or DEFAULT motherboard timings and speeds -- if you're on the correct one, which is 2133 with timings sets of 19-19-19-39. or 17-17-17-35, 15-19-19-39, even 15-17-17-35[not sure about this one but there was one with 17 in it] Then they would largely have 0 issues with the game itself.

Now the more enlightened members of our society would cringe at the thought of wasting money on XMP that was never activated, and thus would use it at a 1:1 ratio, with sufficient or even over sufficient SOC and IO voltages to ensure that it runs correctly with a million memtest passes.

However, the engine, anticheat, or whatever machinations that windows runs on, will not allow timings outside of certain ratios being
1-1-1-[2 or 3], 1-2-2-4, 1-1.5-1.5-3.5, to work correctly or those JEDEC timing odd ratios I discuss above.

Take the current cas latency of your ram and your current speed, then multiply the cas latency by the set of ratios above, applying it to the ram timings from Cas latency down to TRAS latency.

Now this is quite intriguing as while we know that each number stands for the row, cell, and column refresh times etc etc, it doesn't exactly tell us what the optimal numbers are that each will fall in line with the other.

I'm not sure how this works -- I can only theorise that maybe there is a phenomenon similar to a cache miss or out of order data being received or sent, or that Vanguard actively polls the ram speed against the timings both of which it might be viewing within windows as a ring 0 program.

It is to note that your USB network adapters need to be balanced [singled out] on USB ports against other things like mouse and keyboard to minimise jitter interference, which will have a similar effect on the end netcode. It's sometimes good in cheap cases to unplug the front panel USB altogether since badly shielded ones act as an antenna.

Finally set an FPS cap to the refresh of your monitor with fast sync on or off depending on if you mind having some random frame drops without the associated input lag -- you can cap it to refresh rate -1 to get a smoother experience since Valorant's engine has issues keeping up with the NVIDIA cap when it does go over the limit.

Reflex and ULL can be enabled finally, as a result. DO NOT USE RAWINPUT BUFFER if you use USB NIC's or WIFI since it appears to buffer the NIC as well as the mouse and keyboard (VERY BAD).

Let me know if this also helps you :)

I can’t seem to put my tras higher than 58T the bios says the range is between 21-58 T. I have xmp disabled. any tips?
Reduce the ram speed until your timings can fall into range accordingly