Why is my radeon card so much smoother than nvidia

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
bumbeen

Re: Why is my radeon card so much smoother than nvidia

Post by bumbeen » 24 May 2023, 06:17

Slender wrote:
24 May 2023, 06:03
hmm, ok. i wrong about that.
anyway, nvidia have a dpc "bug"
yeah it does seem dpc spike are higher when idle on nvidia than they should be, but I don't see those same dpc spike in game for example:
idle on desktop, it's way too high:

but with game running windowed in background to keep gpu clock++:

Slender

Post by Slender » 24 May 2023, 06:19

bumbeen wrote:
24 May 2023, 06:17
Slender wrote:
24 May 2023, 06:03
hmm, ok. i wrong about that.
anyway, nvidia have a dpc "bug"
yeah it does seem dpc spike are higher when idle on nvidia than they should be, but I don't see those same dpc spike in game for example:
idle on desktop, it's way too high:

but with game running windowed in background to keep gpu clock++:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11445

babooz99

Post by babooz99 » 24 May 2023, 09:17

Mr1991 wrote:
24 May 2023, 00:45
Does it feel better on the desktop, or just in game?
Just ingame. There's nothing going on on desktop that would tell me otherwise. It's mostly noticeable when I'm panning the camera when playing FPS games. Imagine vsync vs no vsync off uncapped fps (lots of stutters). On my radeon card it looks like there's less tearing/stuttering/jitter whatever you wanna call it similar to the effect vsync on/off does.

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 24 May 2023, 11:23

Yeah that’s what I figured, it’s probably the same on desktop, the cursor will prob look smoother, I’ve noticed it on my setup, AMD felt smoother on desktop than Nvidia, though anyone can try this: after booting up pc move your cursor around for a bit, then change to a different refresh rate then back to your original, this seems to improve the mouse control and makes mouse movement smoother, (thus making the game feel better too)

Just wanted to add, Windows 10 LTSC version also felt smoother to me than standard 10

MisterS0L0

Post by MisterS0L0 » 24 May 2023, 14:54

What CPU are you using ? Lower end CPUs will run smoother with AMD GPUs because Nvidia have a driver overhead problem that uses cpu resources.

blackmagic

Post by blackmagic » 25 May 2023, 01:03

Slender wrote:
24 May 2023, 00:20
because amd uses 1 driver dxkrnl with low dpc latency.
nvidia use 2 drivers, dxkrnl + nvlddmkm. nvlddmkm have big dpc spikes (any settings).
amd 100% prefer if you use ryzen cpu.
that reason why i am owner too of an rx580 and buy it...

i read too about dcp latency thing somewhere and difference between nvidia and amd drivers thing...

in that days i still blame my pc performance and maybe the cause for bad online drop and i was think that maybe that dpc latency has to do with it...

sadly this all dont fixed my bad online gaming experience.
this all total another bullshit and dont rly a fix.

but now dcp is very rly low and stable here with that card... :lol:

but i know guys who have rly bad dcp latency problems and huge spikes but still this dont affect there online gaming or pc stability that much and they play fine.

ChillyRide1712

Post by ChillyRide1712 » 25 May 2023, 18:37

babooz99 wrote:
23 May 2023, 15:49
Mr1991 wrote:
23 May 2023, 13:42
By smooth do you mean mouse movement more smooth? That would give the perception of the game is smooth at the same frame rate
Mouse feels more responsive, my aim feels snappier and easier to aim. The game also looks smoother, less jitter/judder especially when panning the camera quickly during an FPS game. On my nvidia card when I move my mouse around quickly, the screen is not as clear/visible leading to slower reaction times. On my radeon the screen is clearer I can see things better when I'm moving around quickly. I gotta say the difference is hard to notice unless you play at a high level. I have 20k hours in csgo and play at a high level. I would never notice this if I just played casual games.
I find its hilarious when man spent 20k hours but dont know how this game works :D Sry for being picky, its my 2 cents.

The reason u "feel" better with rx580 because its all about CS old engine and gpu power saving features. All modern GPU got so much power that CS dont use it. If game (not all) dont utilise gpu on more than 60-70% it will downclock ur GPU core freq, so if there is a heavy scene with lots of smoke etc gpu will use its power from power saving mode with lower clocks to performance mode with all the way up freq mhz and thats why its jitter and not smooth. rx580 card and dont have so much power as 2000 series nvidia and 3000 and so on, so its always boost core mhz at max. In order to have 0 jitters and stable smooth fps u have to lock core clocks for this game.

Slender

Post by Slender » 26 May 2023, 00:04

ChillyRide1712 wrote:
25 May 2023, 18:37
babooz99 wrote:
Mr1991 wrote:
By smooth do you mean mouse movement more smooth? That would give the perception of the game is smooth at the same frame rate
Mouse feels more responsive, my aim feels snappier and easier to aim. The game also looks smoother, less jitter/judder especially when panning the camera quickly during an FPS game. On my nvidia card when I move my mouse around quickly, the screen is not as clear/visible leading to slower reaction times. On my radeon the screen is clearer I can see things better when I'm moving around quickly. I gotta say the difference is hard to notice unless you play at a high level. I have 20k hours in csgo and play at a high level. I would never notice this if I just played casual games.
I find its hilarious when man spent 20k hours but dont know how this game works :D Sry for being picky, its my 2 cents.

The reason u "feel" better with rx580 because its all about CS old engine and gpu power saving features. All modern GPU got so much power that CS dont use it. If game (not all) dont utilise gpu on more than 60-70% it will downclock ur GPU core freq, so if there is a heavy scene with lots of smoke etc gpu will use its power from power saving mode with lower clocks to performance mode with all the way up freq mhz and thats why its jitter and not smooth. rx580 card and dont have so much power as 2000 series nvidia and 3000 and so on, so its always boost core mhz at max. In order to have 0 jitters and stable smooth fps u have to lock core clocks for this game.
absolutly wrong.
we use lock gpu freq on max (nvcpl = max perfomance / regedit tweak)
I can say with certainty that this is true. I know a person with such a mouse graphs. He use radeon. When he take nvidia gpu result very very worse.
edit: sorry im not see you last message.
Attachments
6.png
6.png (60.06 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

babooz99

Post by babooz99 » 01 Jun 2023, 20:38

ChillyRide1712 wrote:
25 May 2023, 18:37
babooz99 wrote:
Mr1991 wrote:

Hmm so how exactly do I not know how this game works? Also I've tried locking clocks, it's not it. On my rx580 the game feels like it's 240hz, super smooth and fluid. On my 3060ti game feels like it's running at a lower refresh rate, just not as clean and smooth. Nothing to do with clocks im afraid

RamenRider

Post by RamenRider » 01 Jun 2023, 21:39

What are your current Radeon settings OP?

Press Alt R. There's a gaming tab, a global gaming tab, and a display tab. All have different settings that affect input lag.

AMD also has exclusive features you can mess around with. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/a ... ht_have_a/

Also UWP drivers ARE FUCKING AMAZING
axaro1 wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 10:48
Today I installed UWP drivers to enable HAGS on my 5700xt setup and it massively improved input lag.

Fps are about the same maybe with a small improvement in 0.1% and 1% but I'm mostly noticing a big difference latency.

I used this guide:
(https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/amd-r ... wp.437511/)

If you guys have input lag issues with Amd GPU I highly recommend to give HAGS a try (either by installing outdated drivers such as 20.5.1 Beta or by installing the latest UWP drivers).