Scanline sync issue with QFT

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Tiberiusmoon

Scanline sync issue with QFT

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 07 Jun 2023, 07:01

When calibrating S-sync the tearline dissappears/jumps when reaching about 1/8th of the screen near the top.
I understand the idea of using negative values to move the tearline in the vertical back porch but I have no indication that the tear line is there.

My QFT settings:

I can reach the V back porch in default vertical totals but not in QFT.

For example when setting the S-sync to 1 it remains close to the top, but when using -1 that tear line is nowhere to be seen.
When the negative value is high enough I can see the tearline appear from the front porch, this repeats when reaching a multiple of -1125.
Its like RTSS skips the whole backporch.

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Re: Scanline sync issue with QFT

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 07 Jun 2023, 15:33

Unless I'm not reading your post right, the whole point is to not have the tearline visible. Having the LVT allows plenty of space for that tearline to be "off screen". Also, RTss has ways of making the tearline visible so you can see it moving with your hotkeys.

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 07 Jun 2023, 15:34

Also RTss won't work right depending on GPU usage. What game is this and what is your GPU usage at 200hz?

Tiberiusmoon

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 07 Jun 2023, 17:44

Its to not have the tear line visible at the top of the screen not the bottom. (using negative values)
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=42653#p42653
Yes I am aware of RTSS's frame colour indicator.

Its not a game its an app to test screen tearing called smooth frog.

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 08 Jun 2023, 13:24

So with a smaller vertical total you're not going to need in most cases to have it set at beyond -20. Did you use the hot keys as I suggested so that you can see it moving up while in app? Then you close out of the app and check the value that it has in the preset file for that app. Move it up the screen till it disappears. Need to understand that GPU usage affects this and that's why each game is going to potentially have a different value. This is because screen tearing is caused by how quickly that GPU rasterizes and sends that frame to your monitor. There are other factors and details you're not providing.

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 08 Jun 2023, 13:26

You have no indication the tearline is there and that's how it should be. Once it disappears moving upward, you're done. No more screen tearing in that app. But depending on GPU utilization you need different profiles for each game.

Tiberiusmoon

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 08 Jun 2023, 16:55

As I said originally.

When the tearline is 1/8th of the vertical active area away from reaching the VBP it doesnt get any closer it just dissappears with no indication that the tear line is in the VBP.
This happens in smooth frog and Apex legends.

Scanline sync value 1 will sit 1/8th of the active area, 0 will not sync at all and -1 dissappears completely.
A negative value of -97 will make the tear line appear near the bottom of the active area.

The hotkeys do not mean anything, you just adjust the sync value and hit enter to apply, same thing and change in tearline position.

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 10 Jun 2023, 12:27

The hotkeys are beneficial for you to see in game. I prefer using the scrolling vertical bar to assist in seeing the tear line. My understanding now at this point is that to see where that tear line ends up if not visible is to review the frametimes. When the tearline is visible, how large is the jitter? I understand it stops about 1/8th of the screen, but how large is that space that the tearline takes up?