Restarting PC multiple times to alleviate Valorant desync

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
13n47

Restarting PC multiple times to alleviate Valorant desync

Post by 13n47 » 23 Jul 2023, 08:44

Hey!
I want to point out something that I've been testing from this video.
Now I have been also testing around with different RAM configs and I can confirm from my experience that with XMP on I have a lot more desync issues that without XMP.

This got me thinking that RAM could be the main culprit behind desync issues. Around 11 minutes in he talks about how restarting his PC multiple times fixes his input lag. I have tried this and for a few days this has really made my games feel a lot smoother. Hits seems to register instantly and without a delay, when players peek I actually have more time to react than before. What I do is this: boot up my pc, use it for a bit, shut it down, boot it up again(restart it 3-5 times in a row) and then start playing. You shouldn't just press restart as it doesn't completely shut down the PC, you have to do a complete shutdown and then manually boot it up again. Because of my experience with XMP, I think the RAM gets affected by something(the heat or humidity if I had to guess) and needs to be recalibrated via manual shutdowns and bootups.

In the past I have tried to restart Valorant during a match to try fix the desync, but it never worked. I recently did the manual shutdown and bootup during a game and to my surprise the game ran a lot smoother. I was losing every gunfight for multiple rounds in a row, bottom leaderboard and when I came back I started clicking heads and people thought I toggled lmao. One guy complained that he was getting run and gunned but I clearly came to a full stop before shooting on my end.

Can some more people test this?

Edit: seems it doesn't work. probably just had a lucky timing that the game was working great whilst i was testing this.
Last edited by 13n47 on 04 Aug 2023, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

wadge

Re: Restarting PC multiple times to alleviate Valorant desync

Post by wadge » 23 Jul 2023, 11:19

Its been a long time since i've pointing this out but no one seems to have reported about that except you..

From as long as i remember (maybe 2012) that i'm fascing this desync issue i made a lots of different builds, all having differents feelings regarding desync and input lag.

But one thing that i always (and still currently) noticed, was that after a long period of time (lets say one night) when i freshly started my pc the first game was on point, all shots registered no desync and then it quickly deteriorat.

As you said, when i do a full shut down of the pc, unplug the power supply and press the power button for 60sec to drain everything. As soon as i launch a game its fine for few minutes then desync comes back.

Im still confused of what is causing that and to this day i havent found a fix for that.

Pretty sure ram has an important role to play in this issue but how to pin point that is an other story

13n47

Post by 13n47 » 23 Jul 2023, 11:26

wadge wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 11:19
Its been a long time since i've pointing this out but no one seems to have reported about that except you..

From as long as i remember (maybe 2012) that i'm fascing this desync issue i made a lots of different builds, all having differents feelings regarding desync and input lag.

But one thing that i always (and still currently) noticed, was that after a long period of time (lets say one night) when i freshly started my pc the first game was on point, all shots registered no desync and then it quickly deteriorat.

As you said, when i do a full shut down of the pc, unplug the power supply and press the power button for 60sec to drain everything. As soon as i launch a game its fine for few minutes then desync comes back.

Im still confused of what is causing that and to this day i havent found a fix for that.

Pretty sure ram has an important role to play in this issue but how to pin point that is an other story
I also found it slowly deteriorates unless I cap my FPS. With unlimited I get around 280-300fps, but I cap it to 230 and it stays smoother for a longer period of time.

MisterS0L0

Post by MisterS0L0 » 23 Jul 2023, 11:45

13n47 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 08:44
Hey!
I want to point out something that I've been testing from this video.
Now I have been also testing around with different RAM configs and I can confirm from my experience that with XMP on I have a lot more desync issues that without XMP.

This got me thinking that RAM could be the main culprit behind desync issues. Around 11 minutes in he talks about how restarting his PC multiple times fixes his input lag. I have tried this and for a few days this has really made my games feel a lot smoother. Hits seems to register instantly and without a delay, when players peek I actually have more time to react than before. What I do is this: boot up my pc, use it for a bit, shut it down, boot it up again(restart it 3-5 times in a row) and then start playing. You shouldn't just press restart as it doesn't completely shut down the PC, you have to do a complete shutdown and then manually boot it up again. Because of my experience with XMP, I think the RAM gets affected by something(the heat or humidity if I had to guess) and needs to be recalibrated via manual shutdowns and bootups.

In the past I have tried to restart Valorant during a match to try fix the desync, but it never worked. I recently did the manual shutdown and bootup during a game and to my surprise the game ran a lot smoother. I was losing every gunfight for multiple rounds in a row, bottom leaderboard and when I came back I started clicking heads and people thought I toggled lmao. One guy complained that he was getting run and gunned but I clearly came to a full stop before shooting on my end.

Can some more people test this?
Tested, if anything it felt worse, sorry

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 23 Jul 2023, 12:31

I've also noticed that every time I switch off the computer, it behaves differently. The worst situation is when you wake up after a night out and turn on the computer for the first time. That's when the lag is at its worst, and things start to improve at night. I wouldn't say that night gaming has completely eliminated the desynchronisation problem, but mouse feeling is much more responsive.

dannyoceanic

Post by dannyoceanic » 23 Jul 2023, 12:37

13n47 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 11:26
wadge wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 11:19

I also found it slowly deteriorates unless I cap my FPS. With unlimited I get around 280-300fps, but I cap it to 230 and it stays smoother for a longer period of time.
The FPS cap was working for me for a while sometime around 2021- mid of 2022. Game felt smoother and was less Run and gun by enemies.
Some after mid of 2022 they released a patch with changes and the FPS cap didn't work anymore.

Since 3 months or so I'm playing with uncapped and the game runs smoother.

I have to check out the xmb option because I changed it around 2 months ago by putting it on and my game has clearly micro stutter if I move my mouse from left to right in a fast motion. My premates saw it in-game as well when I wanted to show them my "lags", they were thinking I had connection problems. I have 0% package loss and my ping is around 10-35ms on the serves we play.

I will turn off xmb for the coming days and see if the game runs smoother again. Will check back here by then.

Restarting the PC I haven't read that option yet, but I tried it some time ago with a full restart after some games and it didn't really help about the game smoothness.

sherifmagdy32

Post by sherifmagdy32 » 23 Jul 2023, 17:22

I had the same issue with my old pc
b365m motherboard XMP felt awful i did manual over clock the ram at lower voltage and felt huge difference

widow13

Post by widow13 » 30 Jul 2023, 10:25

I have this too, hovering around high immortal and when the issue doesn't exist I feel like I'm playing against golds.
When the issue comes back I feel like I'm a gold player in a Radiant lobby.

I remember back in the day If I ever forgot hpet on the game felt laggy and stuttery but shots were registering.
Few days ago I got into a game and game felt laggy and stuttery and I got 35 kills that game.
It's really confusing and I have this issue for around 3 years and cannot find a fix, I have stopped playing valorant multiple times.