Ram causing desync/input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
whatdahek

Ram causing desync/input lag

Post by whatdahek » 27 Aug 2023, 08:40

Hello guys!
I've been having input lag/desync issues for quite a while now.
I've searched everywhere and I got most of the possible causes resolved.

So I ran memtest and it came out without errors.
I still had random graph spikes and stuff like that so I decided to disable EXPO and see how things go.
Games became better and more shots were registering with EXPO off but I still get random input lag/desync even tho most of it is gone and game is now playable.

What could I do to fix my ram and make it more stable?
I have a b650 aorus elite ax rev 1.0 with kingston fury 6000mhz 32gb(2x16)
I'm on the f7 bios update, should I try the new beta bios update?
123123123.png
123123123.png (25.79 KiB) Viewed 7217 times

TheKelz

Re: Ram causing desync/input lag

Post by TheKelz » 29 Aug 2023, 04:05

I've first noticed that RAM plays a pretty big role early in 2018, I even created a post on a different forum. Since then, I've purchased a completely new PC but the issue stayed the same. Just like on your PC and my old PC, when I don't use XMP and set RAM speeds to default (in this case 2133mhz), my game is much more stable and smooth, I can basically game like this all day and forget about the issue. But as soon as I increase the speed or set XMP, then it goes to shit. I can make it better by tuning timings and sub-timings, but it never goes to 2133mhz level. I went through 3 different RAM kits (Corsair Vengeance 3600C18, G.Skill 3200C16 and G.Skill 3600C16) and they all have the same issue. Just like on my old PC, different RAM kits - same issue.

Slender

Post by Slender » 29 Aug 2023, 04:58

TheKelz wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 04:05
I've first noticed that RAM plays a pretty big role early in 2018, I even created a post on a different forum. Since then, I've purchased a completely new PC but the issue stayed the same. Just like on your PC and my old PC, when I don't use XMP and set RAM speeds to default (in this case 2133mhz), my game is much more stable and smooth, I can basically game like this all day and forget about the issue. But as soon as I increase the speed or set XMP, then it goes to shit. I can make it better by tuning timings and sub-timings, but it never goes to 2133mhz level. I went through 3 different RAM kits (Corsair Vengeance 3600C18, G.Skill 3200C16 and G.Skill 3600C16) and they all have the same issue. Just like on my old PC, different RAM kits - same issue.
4 dimm z690 z790 d4?

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 29 Aug 2023, 08:02

Slender wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 04:58
TheKelz wrote:
4 dimm z690 z790 d4?
Asus Rog Maximus Hero XII (Z490) with i9-10850k CPU. Dual Channel.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 29 Aug 2023, 22:48

TheKelz wrote:
Have this sh-it "lag" since 2015 pc built in 2014 with top Corsair Vengeance 1866 ram
Ive managed to fix icy, floating mouse, even in desktop, by set adequate voltages for my amd fx8350 for passing prime95 test without any errors. But huge dedync in games is still here :(

Have you ever tried cheap green ram kits?

whatdahek

Post by whatdahek » 30 Aug 2023, 06:26

TheKelz wrote:
I tried it like 2-3 times, disabled EXPO or even the whole bios to default and only changed hd audio/internal graphics to off.
Every single of the 3 times the game felt insanely better compared to what it was before, to the point I hit 25-30 kills on short match on csgo.

It is playable but it still feels off, so there is nothing more I can do basically ?

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 30 Aug 2023, 09:10

InputLagger wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 22:48
TheKelz wrote:
Have you ever tried cheap green ram kits?
No, but I'm planning to. I used to work as an IT and worked with lots of different computers in the past. All of them would feel perfect with their cheap green RAM sticks. I'm planning on visiting my old office and testing those sticks on my PC and see how they'll work. They just moved and now it's harder for me to get there, that's why I keep planning it but unable to do so. But I will do it 100%.

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 30 Aug 2023, 09:13

whatdahek wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 06:26
TheKelz wrote:
I tried it like 2-3 times, disabled EXPO or even the whole bios to default and only changed hd audio/internal graphics to off.
Every single of the 3 times the game felt insanely better compared to what it was before, to the point I hit 25-30 kills on short match on csgo.

It is playable but it still feels off, so there is nothing more I can do basically ?
I have no idea man. I don't understand why disabling XMP/EXPO provides such a noticeable improvement but anything else makes it crap and it stays the same between different motherboards and RAM sticks. I can't think of one thing which could be the reason for this. I tried playing with voltages and sub-timings. The effect is there, just not significant enough to make it as good as non XMP/EXPO config. Mystery that I will never be able to solve I guess.

EDIT: I'm planning on getting a B-Die RAM soon (3200C14) to see how will it work. This will be the last time I'm trying another RAM.

whatdahek

Post by whatdahek » 30 Aug 2023, 09:14

TheKelz wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 09:13
whatdahek wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 06:26
TheKelz wrote:

I have no idea man. I don't understand why disabling XMP/EXPO provides such a noticeable improvement but anything else makes it crap and it stays the same between different motherboards and RAM sticks. I can't think of one thing which could be the reason for this. I tried playing with voltages and sub-timings. The effect is there, just not significant enough to make it as good as non XMP/EXPO config. Mystery that I will never be able to solve I guess.

EDIT: I'm planning on getting a B-Die RAM soon (3200C14) to see how will it work. This will be the last time I'm trying another RAM.
That's so weird honestly. Last time I was able to play consistently for 1 week straight I had EXPO off. But after a full week things became a bit worse again. Absolutely makes no sense.

dervu

Post by dervu » 30 Aug 2023, 11:42

I don't want to start power grid issues type discussion here, but it is funny how symptoms that you guys mention about games working better without XMP/EXPO align with observations of many people with power related issues when doing same thing. Just small reference to maybe try something out of hardware realm, like checking PC at other place, if you don't see any results with multiple hardware changes and nothing makes sense.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor