Dedicated Internet Access

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ixa

Re: Dedicated Internet Access

Post by ixa » 10 Sep 2023, 21:38

imprecise wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 21:24
ixa wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 21:14
Ey there! why do you suspect is my NIC? I've tried million different things related to software modifications and tweaks.
Nothing worked, I had some exceptions that didn't last long. I truly tried every known and maybe not that known tweak.
Also tried your OS optimization haha.
You said:
"fix delays, out of sync, no time to react, etc. problems?"

In my experience, the NIC was causing these types of issues. When my NIC was in MSI mode, opponents always had about 200ms advantage and could shoot anywhere near my character and score interpolated hits.
Hmm, It could be, it's just that I tried disabling and tweaking the NIC already so many times. But you never know.
Switching msi I think I've tried it but I would give it a try once more. By network software I think you mean the program that comes with the driver right? I don't install it since I've found out that it adds a lot of latency (tested it with latencymon)
Also I can't use default ms driver because for some reason windows doesn't have it. I have an intel 1219v.
Only thing I change now in nic it's power saving feature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m-msq6JtyM
This is a video I've found out recently and tried to follow the tweaks, but all placebo or not a single change.

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 10 Sep 2023, 21:52

imprecise wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 20:35
ixa wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 13:50

I am really sad, I can't play at my level, it's frustrating me so badly. I need to quit this shit, you can have the best pc, 144hz and everything you want but a random guy with 60hz and best internet will kill you more ez.
Can't figure it out, the fact that i can't react to ppl
I suspect your NIC is the issue. You could try an external NIC or a wifi connection as a test to see if it makes a difference.

Some things that can help NIC performance:
Disable power saving and additional advanced options
Disable networking software
Using default MS drivers
Switching MSI/LineBased mode

It may not be the NIC issue. I have a Intel i210-t1 and i have no problems switching over the onboard ethernet controller. What really helped me is switching to FTTH. Its not the 100% improvement i was hoping for, but its better than before. i get more time to react against the same enemies which were impossible to kill before. I strongly feel its the network quality provided by the ISP which you have no control over.
If the OP is not on FTTH, first thing he should do is switch over to that.

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 10 Sep 2023, 21:58

ixa wrote:
Unreazz wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 04:00
ixa wrote:
08 Sep 2023, 06:00
Unreazz wrote:
08 Sep 2023, 05:13

no sadly not. he never shared his expierences online besides on some german websites and we suffering from it too. on my old location a VPN or a line reset fixed it for a couple of days with a static IP adresse. i dont know if its necessary but VPN worked out on my cable line and from one day to the other its not helped anymore. maybe because the ISP got bought from a biger one and they changed probably something on the route, idk. on DSL only a line reset helped for 2 or 3 days and thats only when a technican come before and changed my port.

this are the only 2 things which changed something. i never had luck with other technique lines and suffering like you 24/7 about this. if you can't move out, than you basically f***. you can also try to get starlink but as far as i heared from other expierences, its not better. or you wait that something changes byself over the time. but this could also be 20 years later .... so either you quit gaming or move
You think CGNAT, could be a problem?
Noo. i have some friend who plays on CGNAT and they don't suffer from it
I am really sad, I can't play at my level, it's frustrating me so badly. I need to quit this shit, you can have the best pc, 144hz and everything you want but a random guy with 60hz and best internet will kill you more ez.
Thats right. You can have the best hardware and even if you are one of the most talented players around that wont matter coz your network quality is bad. I have a 13900k and a 4090, one of the fastest monitors, still i find it extremely difficult to kill some players playing at the same network latency as mine on a very inferior hw and screen. It has everything to do with your isp's network quality and their handling of " gaming traffic " even a 10ms ping will feel bad. Ive tried countless of tweaks, everything, nothing works. Now im just waiting to change my isp to another one, hoping it will make things better than now.

ixa

Post by ixa » 10 Sep 2023, 22:02

Tuhin Lavania wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 21:52
imprecise wrote:
ixa wrote:

I suspect your NIC is the issue. You could try an external NIC or a wifi connection as a test to see if it makes a difference.

Using default MS drivers

It may not be the NIC issue. I have a Intel i210-t1 and i have no problems switching over the onboard ethernet controller. What really helped me is switching to FTTH. Its not the 100% improvement i was hoping for, but its better than before. i get more time to react against the same enemies which were impossible to kill before. I strongly feel its the network quality provided by the ISP which you have no control over.
Haha! exactly. I am on FTTH now, and I've tried couple different ISP on FTTH too. I remember I used to play on ADSL, and I wasn't able to kill anybody, but after I got docsis 2.0 coaxial 20mb, it was godlike haha. I was able to kill the ppl I wasn't before.
The only time I remember I had good internet. Sadly this FTTH, didn't give me the same feeling. Also, I strongly agree with you by "internet quality" and this is one of the reasons I've trying to study the technology and all to understanding what It could cause the desync. That's for me it's like maybe the "general" latency the ISP has. This is why I was asking for DIA, which is low latency all the time.
Also routing can be the problem, I have a friend that can kill ppl from one country, but not another haha. Which is weird.

ixa

Post by ixa » 10 Sep 2023, 22:04

ixa wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 22:02
Tuhin Lavania wrote:
imprecise wrote:
ixa wrote:

Using default MS drivers

Haha! exactly. I am on FTTH now, and I've tried couple different ISP on FTTH too. I remember I used to play on ADSL, and I wasn't able to kill anybody, but after I got docsis 2.0 coaxial 20mb, it was godlike haha. I was able to kill the ppl I wasn't before.
The only time I remember I had good internet. Sadly this FTTH, didn't give me the same feeling. Also, I strongly agree with you by "internet quality" and this is one of the reasons I've trying to study the technology and all to understanding what It could cause the desync. That's for me it's like maybe the "general" latency the ISP has. This is why I was asking for DIA, which is low latency all the time.
Also routing can be the problem, I have a friend that can kill ppl from one country, but not another haha. Which is weird.
I think switch MSI mode off did a difference, but not a big one to be certain of it. So maybe it's placebo :/

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 10 Sep 2023, 22:12

ixa wrote:
Tuhin Lavania wrote:
imprecise wrote:
ixa wrote:

Using default MS drivers

Its definitely the Internet. Thats why these days ive stopped bothering with all those tweaks and optimizations in windows as i just feel they are a waste of time. Let me tell you something, i was playing with a friend of mine, both same region, so same latency. we were playing 1v1 and while playing he tells me that my actions are delayed, while it was certainly not the case on my screen. i was as quick as possible. It was clearly not possible to beat him as he was too quick even on the same latency. Ive done countless of these type of " experiments " over the time and in one case i was able to easily beat my friend who was playing on 20ms against me on 145 ms and we were just standing in front of each other to test this out. This is very weird and it shows network latency and all that powerful hardware and personal skills/talent dont matter over good network quality provided by your isp.
Switching over to FTTH mitigated some of the problems but i still have that zero time to react against enemies and no amount of tweaking locally solves that.

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 10 Sep 2023, 22:14

ixa wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 22:04
ixa wrote:
Tuhin Lavania wrote:
imprecise wrote:

Using default MS drivers

I think switch MSI mode off did a difference, but not a big one to be certain of it. So maybe it's placebo :/
Did that. It doesnt solve anything for me. I remember the first game i playd after doing that i was a god and i felt really happy lmao but it all came down in the second match. Was a placebo. Maybe it solves things for other people, but it didnt do anything for me.

ixa

Post by ixa » 10 Sep 2023, 22:24

Tuhin Lavania wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 22:12
ixa wrote:
Tuhin Lavania wrote:
imprecise wrote:

Using default MS drivers

Its definitely the Internet. Thats why these days ive stopped bothering with all those tweaks and optimizations in windows as i just feel they are a waste of time. Let me tell you something, i was playing with a friend of mine, both same region, so same latency. we were playing 1v1 and while playing he tells me that my actions are delayed, while it was certainly not the case on my screen. i was as quick as possible. It was clearly not possible to beat him as he was too quick even on the same latency. Ive done countless of these type of " experiments " over the time and in one case i was able to easily beat my friend who was playing on 20ms against me on 145 ms and we were just standing in front of each other to test this out. This is very weird and it shows network latency and all that powerful hardware and personal skills/talent dont matter over good network quality provided by your isp.
Switching over to FTTH mitigated some of the problems but i still have that zero time to react against enemies and no amount of tweaking locally solves that.
Yes! I've done this kind of test with a friend too, he sees me too early. I've seen a lot of enemies POV, and I'm just there, standing and looking at them for half a second.
I wonder what do we define by "internet quality" For me, I guess it's congestion. In my country and city, there are too many ppl that require internet, and low infrastructure. But 100% certain.
Maybe it's some kind of traffic shaping? QoS on ISP? OLT protocols? bad hardware on the POP? man, too many things.
I have this analogy to describe it, its like a racing car driver. When he gets to his racing car to drive it and test the settings his engineers did. He has to respond and tell what's wrong and what's hes feeling. And hes able to feel this tire is more loose, brakes ar too stiff, steering wheel is off, etc etc. All of this a racing driver can feel it, maybe it doesn't have the knowledge. But is noticeable.
The same is with us, we notice this kind of stuff as low reaction times, enemy beeing so fast we can't react, etc. But the main difference is that we don't have the knowledge about something this complex about internet. So we can say exactly what's causing it.

ixa

Post by ixa » 10 Sep 2023, 22:28

ixa wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 22:24
Tuhin Lavania wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 22:12
ixa wrote:
Tuhin Lavania wrote:

Yes! I've done this kind of test with a friend too, he sees me too early. I've seen a lot of enemies POV, and I'm just there, standing and looking at them for half a second.
I wonder what do we define by "internet quality" For me, I guess it's congestion. In my country and city, there are too many ppl that require internet, and low infrastructure. But 100% certain.
Maybe it's some kind of traffic shaping? QoS on ISP? OLT protocols? bad hardware on the POP? man, too many things.
I have this analogy to describe it, its like a racing car driver. When he gets to his racing car to drive it and test the settings his engineers did. He has to respond and tell what's wrong and what's hes feeling. And hes able to feel this tire is more loose, brakes ar too stiff, steering wheel is off, etc etc. All of this a racing driver can feel it, maybe it doesn't have the knowledge. But is noticeable.
The same is with us, we notice this kind of stuff as low reaction times, enemy beeing so fast we can't react, etc. But the main difference is that we don't have the knowledge about something this complex about internet. So we can say exactly what's causing it.
Also, one question that it's in my mind. Here in my country Argentina, more precise my city. We don't have much choices regarding to ISP'S. Due to administrative things and politics. The internet is kind of a monopoly. There are maybe 3 big companies that distribute internet.
What makes me doubt is, if we all have the same ISP, why some people have better performance than other? I see a known streamer on twitch, that plays csgo. Known in the Arg CS scene. He has coaxial, on one of the same of the 3 ISPs. And hes performance is awesome.

f1ndus

Post by f1ndus » 11 Sep 2023, 05:27

Stop deal with internet a ISP. This things doesnt have connection with our problem.
I am one of many People who tried switching ISPs. [Me personally 3 different providers!]
We tried everything from cables to providers.
Nothing helped.
If you have doubts then try connect to your Phone internet via WiFi.
Dont waste your time with internet to fix your input lag problem!