Computer feels 'off' + subtle mouse and keyboard input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
fatehasfans

Re: Computer feels 'off' + subtle mouse and keyboard input lag

Post by fatehasfans » 26 Sep 2023, 17:21

imprecise wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 23:59
fatehasfans wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 19:14
Just want to add, this problems persists offline also.
I also noticed a difference in mousefeel even on desktop when using GPU scaling. It feels a little bit off compared to Display Scaling.

scaling.png
I run an AMD card (RX6900XT) so I don't have the Nvidia panel. I can't seem to find the scaling option for AMD but even with that I don't think that is the problem because I notice the issue is also within the bios itself (mouse sluggish etc) :(

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 27 Sep 2023, 00:13

fatehasfans wrote:
26 Sep 2023, 17:21
imprecise wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 23:59
fatehasfans wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 19:14
Just want to add, this problems persists offline also.
I also noticed a difference in mousefeel even on desktop when using GPU scaling. It feels a little bit off compared to Display Scaling.

scaling.png
I run an AMD card (RX6900XT) so I don't have the Nvidia panel. I can't seem to find the scaling option for AMD but even with that I don't think that is the problem because I notice the issue is also within the bios itself (mouse sluggish etc) :(
https://www.technewstoday.com/perform-s ... r-display/

Do you have another mouse to test in BIOS? It could just be the way BIOS works or an indication there's something wrong with BIOS settings or the motherboard itself.

fatehasfans

Post by fatehasfans » 04 Oct 2023, 15:01

Yea I've tried numerous mice as well as remove drivers on top of other things such as play around with registry mouse setting - none of it did anything other than mask the issue or change it slightly but it was always there.

kyube

Post by kyube » 05 Oct 2023, 13:13

fatehasfans wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 06:37
UPDATE: The problem exists offline also.
Have you considered running a xperf trace (or LatencyMon for a quick check) to test whether your DPC & ISR latency are stable?
Your motherboard seems to have the ALC4080 onboard audio controller and 8125B NIC, both of which can cause substantial stuttering.
Not only that, you only got 1 onboard USB host controller which is probably tied to core 0 (like every other device on Windows, thus they're competing for CPU time)

I'd advise to use this when testing xperf
https://github.com/amitxv/PC-Tuning/blo ... dpcisr.bat

As a side note, I think all of these "feels off" threads can be easily summarised into a few main culprits (ordered by importance):
- Unstable overclock and/or insufficient cooling solution (the cooler the components, the better)
- Bad/unstable DPC latency (not tinkering with MSI capabilities and moving interrupts onto other core, bad drivers,...)
- Networking (bad routing to server, bufferbloat, bad networking hardware & cables etc.)
- Electricity (this being a <1% chance imo. Cables, grounding, emitted EMI etc.)

schandras

Post by schandras » 06 Oct 2023, 01:26

kyube wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 13:13
fatehasfans wrote:
Have you considered running a xperf trace (or LatencyMon for a quick check) to test whether your DPC & ISR latency are stable?
Your motherboard seems to have the ALC4080 onboard audio controller and 8125B NIC, both of which can cause substantial stuttering.
Not only that, you only got 1 onboard USB host controller which is probably tied to core 0 (like every other device on Windows, thus they're competing for CPU time)

As a side note, I think all of these "feels off" threads can be easily summarised into a few main culprits (ordered by importance):
- Unstable overclock and/or insufficient cooling solution (the cooler the components, the better)
- Bad/unstable DPC latency (not tinkering with MSI capabilities and moving interrupts onto other core, bad drivers,...)
- Networking (bad routing to server, bufferbloat, bad networking hardware & cables etc.)
- Electricity (this being a <1% chance imo. Cables, grounding, emitted EMI etc.)
Hello, can you provide me some numbers on what my latencymon ISR/DPC should look like? I have been trying to make sense of these numbers since forever. I am mainly concerned with my average DPC/ISR execution time: which I believe is high. I have seen others having sub 1us results. while I have results like 4us /17us and even higher. Makes me believe I have average latency multiple times higher than normal.

kyube

Post by kyube » 06 Oct 2023, 20:16

schandras wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 01:26
kyube wrote:
fatehasfans wrote:

Hello, can you provide me some numbers on what my latencymon ISR/DPC should look like? I have been trying to make sense of these numbers since forever. I am mainly concerned with my average DPC/ISR execution time: which I believe is high. I have seen others having sub 1us results. while I have results like 4us /17us and even higher. Makes me believe I have average latency multiple times higher than normal.
It does not work like that. Everyone has different hardware. Different drivers, different BIOS settings, different Windows settings, a ton of variables.
Use the same tool I've provided above and try hunting down culprits.
LatencyMon is not supposed to be used for measuring this.

fatehasfans

Post by fatehasfans » 26 Oct 2023, 21:21

kyube wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:16
schandras wrote:
kyube wrote:
fatehasfans wrote:

It does not work like that. Everyone has different hardware. Different drivers, different BIOS settings, different Windows settings, a ton of variables.
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply! I have not run xperf (looks too complicated for my small brain) but I did load latencymon before and everything looked fine, as far as I know but I've never really understood what it should be, can't find a rubric for it.

Just to add, I did also replace the monitor but not before the problem started, and again the problem itself is a really subtle one. To provide some insight on how it affects the computer and overall feel here are some descriptions.

Firstly, the mouse - it always feels 'floaty' and not snappy like it should be so if I drift the mouse from side to side at any pace I can feel it drifting off as it doesn't 'grip' the screen like it should.
As far as overall feel it has that feeling as though a driver isn't installed correctly or is missing, and how it affects thing? Well, in some games I can often see examples of graphical/animation snapping occurring, as though the computer is catching up on itself but because it's quite powerful it overcompensates which leads to this micro-snapping. Also, clicks and keypresses don't register properly and double clicks/key presses in a single click/press is very persistent too (ALSO IN BIOS!!!)! On top of that regarding the mouse inputs, as I mentioned earlier, when trying to click on things like search boxes or interactive buttons like browsing the internet or just jumping in and out of programs (or switching between) I notice I have to click several times before the command is registered.
To give you a quick example: Ever alt-tab out of an application then you go to click something on the desktop but the computer hasn't quite got out of the application cleanly so it takes a click or two to register the foreground? Well, it's exactly like that only it happens every time even when I'm not running multiple programs or alt-tabbing out of something. Also, when I try to click and drag (just trying to 'grab' the screen with the cursor, it will rarely register the first click/drag and fail to register every like 3rd time after that if I try it consecutively.

Now, prior to this I NEVER had any issues with input consistency, everything would register 100% alt-tab or no alt-tab. I can't put my finger on it but it feels as though something just isn't set up properly, like I mentioned that feeling when you install the wrong driver. But everything is installed as it should be. All drivers perfect, system loads like a dream. All other mundane (loading-style) tasks complete as normal.

There has always been something at the back of my mind that thinks maybe I'm missing an earthing screw or mounting both that earths the motherboard when screwing the board to the case. As far as I can remember I used all screws correctly but it just feels electrical, like a static problem or the board isn't mounted properly and is touching it shouldn't or I used a screw I shouldn't have. I don't know but as far as the monitors go a few years back I upgraded from an AOC 60hz monitor to a 144hz (AOC) one.

Might take the computer apart tomorrow and reinstall windows. Also, one more thing .. when I put all the new parts together as I was in the process ruling out what it might be the PSU I ended up using (to replace my old 650w) was a Corsair 1100w platinum but it was a hand-me-down from a friend. Now, I read somewhere before that you should try and match your power needs to what you have and that having too big a PSU can actually be detrimental, but given I like quality and tend to think more money = better quality I did replace it with a 1600i Corsair which if the first one was overkill then this thing is just plain stupid to have for what I have. So, I guess there could be something in that but I am not qualified to know, hopefully one of you would know more about this than me because I was thinking of getting something smaller like a 750-800w and see if that fixes the problem but I'd welcome your opinions before that.

Any feedback is very welcome, thanks.
Last edited by fatehasfans on 27 Oct 2023, 08:25, edited 3 times in total.

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 26 Oct 2023, 21:39

fatehasfans wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 21:21
kyube wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:16
schandras wrote:
kyube wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply! I have not run xperf (looks too complicated for my small brain) but I did load latencymon before and everything looked fine, as far as I know but I've never really understood what it should be, can't find a rubric for it.

Just to add, I did also replace the monitor but not before the problem started, and again the problem itself is a really subtle one. To provide some insight on how it affects the computer and overall feel here are some descriptions. Firstly, it has that feeling as a driver isn't installed correctly or is missing. How it affects thing, in some games I can actually see graphical/animation snapping occurring, it's as though the computer is catching up with itself but because the computer is very powerful it overcompensates it's correction which leads to micro-snapping. This also leads to clicks and keypresses not registering properly but also double clicks/key presses occurring in a single click/press too! also, when trying to click on things like search boxes or interactive buttons when browsing/using the computer I notice I have to click several times before the computer registers the command/input. Ever alt-tab out of an application then you go to click something on the desktop but the computer hasn't quite got out of the application cleanly so it takes a click or two to register the foreground? Well, it's exactly like that only all the time and even when not running multiple programs or alt-tabbing out of something and also when I try to click and drag (just trying to 'grab' the screen with the cursor, it will rarely register the first click/drag and fail to register every like 3rd time after that if I try it consecutively.

Now, prior to this I NEVER had any issues with input consistency, everything would register 100% alt-tab or no alt-tab. I can't put my finger on it but it feels as though something just isn't set up properly, like I mentioned that feeling when you install the wrong driver. But everything is installed as it should be. All drivers perfect, system loads like a dream. All other mundane (loading-style) tasks complete as normal.

There has always been something at the back of my mind that thinks maybe I'm missing an earthing screw or mounting both that earths the motherboard when screwing the board to the case. As far as I can remember I used all screws correctly but it just feels electrical, like a static problem or the board isn't mounted properly and is touching it shouldn't or I used a screw I shouldn't have. I don't know but as far as the monitors go a few years back I upgraded from an AOC 60hz monitor to a 144hz (AOC) one.

Might take the computer apart tomorrow and reinstall windows. Also, one more thing .. when I put all the new parts together as I was in the process ruling out what it might be the PSU I ended up using (to replace my old 650w) was a Corsair 1100w platinum but it was a hand-me-down from a friend. Now, I read somewhere before that you should try and match your power needs to what you have and that having too big a PSU can actually be detrimental, but given I like quality and tend to think more money = better quality I did replace it with a 1600i Corsair which if the first one was overkill then this thing is just plain stupid to have for what I have. So, I guess there could be something in that but I am not qualified to know, hopefully one of you would know more about this than me because I was thinking of getting something smaller like a 750-800w and see if that fixes the problem but I'd welcome your opinions before that.

Any feedback is very welcome, thanks.
I might get called crazy, but I think this might be a virus of some sort. What I mean is that I have this exact issue, my PC just feels off, Windows animations are junky/stuttery, mouse is inconsistent and etc. Thing is, this started randomly out of nowhere back in 2018 with my old DDR3 PC. Since then, I've tried everything and ended up buying a new DDR4 PC. To my surprise, every issue remained. Nothing changed in the feeling my PC has. I want to add that Windows 11 shows these issues the most. Animations are very junky and just drop frames all over the place no matter if I set my PC to High performance mode for CPU and/or GPU.

The reason why I say it might be a virus because I did transfer my PSU (bought a new one and installed in my old PC first) and SSD drives from the old to the new one. I did change SSDs but not the PSU. I have a suspicion that my SSDs just transferred the virus to my new PC and now it's irreversible. Or almost irreversible. I even changed RAM, GPU, CPU and 3 motherboards on this new PC to no avail.

I'm planning on going to the place where I used to work. It's an IT office and has bunch of computers there. I'm gonna bring my PC and start testing shit there. If my theory will be confirmed, I'm gonna buy an all new PC with completely new/unused parts and never connect my old USB sticks or anything that I have to not accidentally give this issue a chance to come back. I will create a post here if or once I'll fix this issue and will show evidence of issues I had and how I fixed them. This might take a year or maybe 2 though, as it requires money, but I will get there.

fatehasfans

Post by fatehasfans » 27 Oct 2023, 08:39

That's interesting. I do carry over my gaming and storage hard-drives - I link them to my main windows hard-drive every time I install a fresh copy of windows. Could I be linking the 'problem'?

Just to provide a little insight on what I mean...

I keep windows only on one hard-drive .. nothing else (my C drive)

All my games and other stuff are on my D, E, and F drives which are all separate hard-drives.

Each time I format and reinstall windows (on the C drive) I then install steam and link up those other drives to the steam account which is on the C drive. My guess is that Windows also creates it's own links to the other drives to enable the recognition and transfer of the data on those.

So could I be bringing something across to the C Drive?

But here is the thing that's making me think not and something I would like you to try also, when I go into Bios the double clicks and input problems are still there so if I try to turn something (an option or button) from Off to On in the Bios every third click or so will see the button switch back to On as if I pressed the button twice in quick succession when I only pressed once. I will show you a video of what I mean and see if I can upload it for you. But if it's in the Bios then whatever is happening in Windows is irrelevant, right?

Is this happening to you in your Bios?

I've provided a link to a video I made highlighting some of the issues, any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

https://youtu.be/XNj1ynAlffA

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 27 Oct 2023, 15:58

fatehasfans wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 08:39
That's interesting. I do carry over my gaming and storage hard-drives - I link them to my main windows hard-drive every time I install a fresh copy of windows. Could I be linking the 'problem'?

Just to provide a little insight on what I mean...

I keep windows only on one hard-drive .. nothing else (my C drive)

All my games and other stuff are on my D, E, and F drives which are all separate hard-drives.

Each time I format and reinstall windows (on the C drive) I then install steam and link up those other drives to the steam account which is on the C drive. My guess is that Windows also creates it's own links to the other drives to enable the recognition and transfer of the data on those.

So could I be bringing something across to the C Drive?

But here is the thing that's making me think not and something I would like you to try also, when I go into Bios the double clicks and input problems are still there so if I try to turn something (an option or button) from Off to On in the Bios every third click or so will see the button switch back to On as if I pressed the button twice in quick succession when I only pressed once. I will show you a video of what I mean and see if I can upload it for you. But if it's in the Bios then whatever is happening in Windows is irrelevant, right?

Is this happening to you in your Bios?

I've provided a link to a video I made highlighting some of the issues, any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

https://youtu.be/XNj1ynAlffA
I watched the video. I can't say I have the same behavior regarding clicking things but my mouse does indeed feel the same floaty/heavy way as on Windows, so yes, it's not something to do with Windows. This is why I think it's a virus, it infects the hardware (mainly CPU and/or the motherboard) and thus this behavior everywhere on the system. At least this is my theory.