Found the cause of my input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ptaylor54

Found the cause of my input lag

Post by ptaylor54 » 15 Oct 2023, 06:06

Hello, for months I have dealt with horrible input lag on my mouse and had tried every regedit/tweak/OC I could find and just couldn't solve it. When that didn't work I changed nearly every single piece of hardware in my machine to no avail. I had concluded it must have been my power or EMI that was causing it and I would just have to accept the lag forever. However, I believe I have finally found the culprit and would like to see if anyone else wants to try and see their results.

When reinstalling a clean version of windows I would often just default to the Windows media creation tool software, as it generally was easier and faster than the disk tool. But I have reason to believe that there is something inherently wrong with the tool creating a stable version of windows as every time I have used it for the clean install the mouse movement feels floaty and inconsistent. Not to mention that if you perform a sfc/ scannow test in CMD right after the clean install it will find broken files and have to fix them immediately, additionally there are several error and warning prompts in the event viewer directly after installation. I have now replicated the feeling on multiple machines and find the results to be consistent. The solution is to use the disk media tool to install windows using rufus to prep the USB. After a clean installation you should notice that your mouse immediately feels snappy and accurate again and you can do whatever additional tweaks you prefer to optimize your system, but the base you are building on feels correct and accurate.

cl_predict

Re: Found the cause of my input lag

Post by cl_predict » 15 Oct 2023, 07:48

what do you mean by "disk media tool"?

eropsy

Post by eropsy » 15 Oct 2023, 07:57

cl_predict wrote:
15 Oct 2023, 07:48
what do you mean by "disk media tool"?
I think he mean to download iso of windows through windows creation tool and then make bootable flash drive with rufus tool. I just dont get it, how it going to help since we use same windows image just different tool to create bootable drive

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 15 Oct 2023, 08:49

I always install OS with downloaded ISO + Rufus. This solves nothing.

kriegsnake

Post by kriegsnake » 15 Oct 2023, 09:41

I always reinstalled windows with rufus, it’s bs.

ptaylor54

Post by ptaylor54 » 15 Oct 2023, 11:41

IDK it could just be placebo, but to me the difference is immediately noticeable on two different machines, as well as both machines when using the base windows creation usb tool instead of the rufus iso install there where broken files that had to be repaired via sfc/ scannow in cmd prompt literally right after you install, but the same problem doesnt occur when using the rufus install. If you run sfc/scannow right after installing the iso version it finds no broken files.

ptaylor54

Post by ptaylor54 » 15 Oct 2023, 15:11

If you look at the image: download/file.php?mode=view&id=3919

Do not install using the first option. Download the second option then flash it onto a usb using rufus software. Not saying this is the input lag fix for everyone, but it certainly was the fix for my machine as the input lag was instantly better, and has remained fixed for multiple weeks now. Just thought that it was a lower risk possible fix to recommend to people instead of some of the much more risky and expensive "tweaks" that are thrown out.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 2.04.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 2.04.16 PM.png (89.41 KiB) Viewed 10623 times

ahead

Post by ahead » 18 Oct 2023, 01:21

When I read something like that, I understand problems never be solved.

Arrogant

Post by Arrogant » 18 Oct 2023, 07:17

After lurking on this forum for years this was the one time thing that has helped me truly. Dude I could cry right now lol. Who would of thought that this would’ve been an issue. I probably reinstalled windows 10/11 more than anybody on this forum. Today was the first day that I downloaded the iso & created a bootable usb through Rufus & the mouse movement was so responsive that it caught me off guard. Again I cannot thank you enough. I’m going to the dentist today to get all my wisdom teeth pulled & this made my day so much better. I played 1 game of cs2 before I have to leave & it felt so good. Dude thank you so much.

Kipperii

Post by Kipperii » 18 Oct 2023, 08:27

Arrogant wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 07:17
After lurking on this forum for years this was the one time thing that has helped me truly. Dude I could cry right now lol. Who would of thought that this would’ve been an issue. I probably reinstalled windows 10/11 more than anybody on this forum. Today was the first day that I downloaded the iso & created a bootable usb through Rufus & the mouse movement was so responsive that it caught me off guard. Again I cannot thank you enough. I’m going to the dentist today to get all my wisdom teeth pulled & this made my day so much better. I played 1 game of cs2 before I have to leave & it felt so good. Dude thank you so much.
hope that work next month