CS2 Input Lag Testing

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
dannybates

CS2 Input Lag Testing

Post by dannybates » 22 Dec 2023, 12:19

I have spent a bit of time benchmarking the response times of the PG27AQN (latest firmware) using the NVIDIA Reflex Analyzer.

To preform the benchmark I made sure to take into account tick based animations. The monitoring position was located in a bright area and the character was rotated from dark to light using the following bind to do a 180. Also comfirmed with a 480fps camera that the in game pov is rotated 180 degrees in a single frame.

Code: Select all

alias attack_ "yaw 5455 1 1"; bind mouse1 attack_;
Each test was done 110 times.

The most surprising thing that I have found is that ULMB 2 adds roughly 24% of input lag. Is ULMB 2 supposed to add that much input lag?

I have attached an image of the results.
Attachments
Results
Results
Untitled.png (17.71 KiB) Viewed 6944 times

joseph_from_pilsen

Re: CS2 Input Lag Testing

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 23 Dec 2023, 07:59

ULMB doesnt add so much PERCENT of input lag, it adds a stable +-1.4ms input lag. At worse PC it would be still the same 1ms but 10 percent max... ULMB delay added is just a half a time of monitor refresh (dimming out before every refresh). Mathematically its a half of 1/360Hz interval = 1:360:2 = 1:720 = approx. 1.4ms (your result).

Can you make a test with NVCP gsync on + NVCP vsync on + reflex on? Because this is a setting many people use to prevent 60hz feeling (without vsync the movement persistence is trash).

dannybates

Post by dannybates » 23 Dec 2023, 09:39

joseph_from_pilsen wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 07:59
ULMB doesnt add so much PERCENT of input lag, it adds a stable +-1.4ms input lag. At worse PC it would be still the same 1ms but 10 percent max... ULMB delay added is just a half a time of monitor refresh (dimming out before every refresh). Mathematically its a half of 1/360Hz interval = 1:360:2 = 1:720 = approx. 1.4ms (your result).

Can you make a test with NVCP gsync on + NVCP vsync on + reflex on? Because this is a setting many people use to prevent 60hz feeling (without vsync the movement persistence is trash).
Hi,

That makes sense thanks. I have done the test as requested. Did notice that the game would hover around 340hz/fps instead of 360.

Attached are the results. Let me know if there is anything else you want me to test.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (7.92 KiB) Viewed 6686 times

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 23 Dec 2023, 13:15

Great job, yes its normal that fps is stable 340then, at 280hz i get 260fps as the drivers do the limit by themselves a bit below refresh rate. You dont need to set any limit manually, the driver overrides it by its own pre-set value. Interesting fact: if you start the game with -vulkan, the driver limit is not being applied and you must use your own or use non-limit values (like vsync fast). But the game with -vulkan runs always a bit worse (at least at nvidia cards).

It also confirms that ULMB/vsync is a good trade-off between responsibility and visibility and motion persistence, for scanning environment for opponents is still critical to have best motion clarity, best persistence and still low input lag. Its nice to have 5ms input lag instead of 8ms but if you dont spot opponent as soon as it appears on your monitor or the game is feeling like 60hz slideshow any time you move your mouse cursor, its a bit useless... I tested all the settings (i have 280hz monitor), vsync off is a big no in cs2, totally unsmooth like 60hz, and ulmb is a bit discutable, OFF is more crisp when the picture is static or when walking slowly, ON is much better when looking anywhere than at my cursor as the background doesnt unsharp + whenever i move faster. The slight delay doesnt matter, the game servers are so trashy that even with ULMB2 is the client ahead from server A LOT (counter step at client = still moving at server etc.).

It confirms that cs2 has low input lag and the input lag is not the reason why aim and game itself is feeling so often so much off, the reason is OUTPUT lag which is up to 60ms and you cant affect it by hardware, is server sided (a delay between input and any effect on opponents, not environment - if you shoot an enemy, there is a delay between input and effect (hit animation), so multiple kills are a pain in ass as you waste time with output lag (you cant switch to another ttarget before you see whether you have got the first one or not).

Minimal achieavable input lag in csgo was around 11ms and it wasnt possible to reduce it by any ways as there was a fixed input lag done by obsolete game engine, so input lag in cs2 is up to 3 times lower and maybe with NASA hardware and benq 2586q (540hz new version) we will see even slightly better results. So oldschool csgo players are used to play with 11ms input lag nevertheless, valorant has AFAIK 7ms. So even with vsync on + ULMB its possible to transfer very easy.
Again, with single digit ms input lag, the main issue and bottleneck is the server, sadly cs2 client performance is affected by server (same like it was in csgo). When server variance is high (and its alwayss high, valve only obfuscated this value to hide it from players as they are crooked and fraudulent company), the input lag plays no role, the aim/movement will suck as the server (bad) response and performance behaves like server sided input lag (dont mess it with output lag, its another thing, output lag doesnt have impact on your input, but server variance and performance does have, it simply fu..ks up your movement and aim).

And last, important notice, STABLE input lag added always matters less than any jittery value. With 11ms vs 8ms vs 5ms stable input lag you will adapt during few minutes and get good results at any value (unless its too high, ofc.). However any jitter will cause you headache, sadly this is cs2 case - at valve official servers its unstable server performance (= stuttery response from server) and unstable networking - mostly at valve official servers = > packetloss => some packets are being dropped and re-sent => choppy gameplay. Unfortunatelly, cs2 is heavy on networking and CPU performance generally (not only on client but server side) so even faceit servers are not smooth, with cq_netgraph 1 (try also value 3) you will never see a permanent empty red straight line. Whatever else you will see in netgraph = issues. And i dont remember many servers with permanent red straight line in netgraph, yes they do exist, no they are not common.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 25 Dec 2023, 01:43

23 Dec 2023, 13:15
Great job, yes its normal that fps is stable 340then, at 280hz i get 260fps as the drivers do the limit by themselves a bit below refresh rate. You dont need to set any limit manually, the driver overrides it by its own pre-set value. Interesting fact: if you start the game with -vulkan, the driver limit is not being applied and you must use your own or use non-limit values (like vsync fast). But the game with -vulkan runs always a bit worse (at least at nvidia cards).

It also confirms that ULMB/vsync is a good trade-off between responsibility and visibility and motion persistence, for scanning environment for opponents is still critical to have best motion clarity, best persistence and still low input lag. Its nice to have 5ms input lag instead of 8ms but if you dont spot opponent as soon as it appears on your monitor or the game is feeling like 60hz slideshow any time you move your mouse cursor, its a bit useless... I tested all the settings (i have 280hz monitor), vsync off is a big no in cs2, totally unsmooth like 60hz, and ulmb is a bit discutable, OFF is more crisp when the picture is static or when walking slowly, ON is much better when looking anywhere than at my cursor as the background doesnt unsharp + whenever i move faster. The slight delay doesnt matter, the game servers are so trashy that even with ULMB2 is the client ahead from server A LOT (counter step at client = still moving at server etc.).

It confirms that cs2 has low input lag and the input lag is not the reason why aim and game itself is feeling so often so much off, the reason is OUTPUT lag which is up to 60ms and you cant affect it by hardware, is server sided (a delay between input and any effect on opponents, not environment - if you shoot an enemy, there is a delay between input and effect (hit animation), so multiple kills are a pain in ass as you waste time with output lag (you cant switch to another ttarget before you see whether you have got the first one or not).

Minimal achieavable input lag in csgo was around 11ms and it wasnt possible to reduce it by any ways as there was a fixed input lag done by obsolete game engine, so input lag in cs2 is up to 3 times lower and maybe with NASA hardware and benq 2586q (540hz new version) we will see even slightly better results. So oldschool csgo players are used to play with 11ms input lag nevertheless, valorant has AFAIK 7ms. So even with vsync on + ULMB its possible to transfer very easy.
Again, with single digit ms input lag, the main issue and bottleneck is the server, sadly cs2 client performance is affected by server (same like it was in csgo). When server variance is high (and its alwayss high, valve only obfuscated this value to hide it from players as they are crooked and fraudulent company), the input lag plays no role, the aim/movement will suck as the server (bad) response and performance behaves like server sided input lag (dont mess it with output lag, its another thing, output lag doesnt have impact on your input, but server variance and performance does have, it simply fu..ks up your movement and aim).

And last, important notice, STABLE input lag added always matters less than any jittery value. With 11ms vs 8ms vs 5ms stable input lag you will adapt during few minutes and get good results at any value (unless its too high, ofc.). However any jitter will cause you headache, sadly this is cs2 case - at valve official servers its unstable server performance (= stuttery response from server) and unstable networking - mostly at valve official servers = > packetloss => some packets are being dropped and re-sent => choppy gameplay. Unfortunatelly, cs2 is heavy on networking and CPU performance generally (not only on client but server side) so even faceit servers are not smooth, with cq_netgraph 1 (try also value 3) you will never see a permanent empty red straight line. Whatever else you will see in netgraph = issues. And i dont remember many servers with permanent red straight line in netgraph, yes they do exist, no they are not common.
I didn't watch much cs2 streamers since summer, but is your point confirmed by their pov streams?

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 25 Dec 2023, 09:29

Which point? IF you mean the 11ms csgo source 1 input lag, then yes, its based on all youtube vids (its slightly above 11ms).
Output lag in cs2 is based on reddit measures (there are many topics with youtube measurements vids).

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 26 Dec 2023, 01:33

25 Dec 2023, 09:29
Which point? IF you mean the 11ms csgo source 1 input lag, then yes, its based on all youtube vids (its slightly above 11ms).
Output lag in cs2 is based on reddit measures (there are many topics with youtube measurements vids).
Nope. Mean these your points
but if you dont spot opponent as soon as it appears on your monitor or the game is feeling like 60hz slideshow any time you move your mouse cursor
the game servers are so trashy that even with
the reason is OUTPUT lag which is up to 60ms and you cant affect it by hardware, is server sided (a delay between input and any effect on opponents, not environment - if you shoot an enemy, there is a delay between input and effect (hit animation), so multiple kills are a pain in ass as you waste time with output lag (you cant switch to another ttarget before you see whether you have got the first one or not).
sadly cs2 client performance is affected by server (same like it was in csgo).the aim/movement will suck as the server (bad)
sadly this is cs2 case - at valve official servers its unstable server performance (= stuttery response from server) and unstable networking - mostly at valve official servers = > packetloss => some packets are being dropped and re-sent => choppy gameplay. Unfortunatelly, cs2 is heavy on networking and CPU performance generally (not only on client but server side) so even faceit servers are not smooth,
I rarely watch pro/non pro twitch streamers and no more than <5mins (only watching cs /dota2 events tournamets, since 1.6 version). But for me I cant remember that they complain about these types if issues often.And they game looks similar each other (like how game behaves on my friend PC, then I play with same amount of "fluidity", "naturalness". This feeling cant be forgotten).These isue that youre describe is very rare for the most of population of player. (same goes for public servers, almost noone complain about this, I played thousand of hours on these servers in different mods). If something not right the whole server feels and complain about issues in voice/text chat.

Tldr
We are just 1% or even 0.5% of players with this sh%t

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 26 Dec 2023, 21:06

Faceit lags are easy to confirm, just download server sided demo and watch, turn the feature to show netgraph error on, they appear radomly almost every round, mostly high sv spikes.
An example, i wondered why my spray was so bad and ignoring any control/hitreg and yeah, it was server sided lag doing my spray dull which appeared middle of spray. The only difference between faceit and valve servers is the way how it lags, faceit = sv red spikes, but no loss and cleaner netgraph (= game runs at least sometimes "fine"), valve = packetloss and dirty netgraph (= the game runs often all the time like a sh...t). And hell yeah, faceit server is also easy to recognize as soon as first round begins, as its also extremelly "bumpy" whenever you run close to your teammates, its like bumpy cars, it ports everyone here and there as they collide with other player models nearby giving random speedboosts or dragging you back like a stunning machine... Maybe 10 times more than valve (tonight experience).

Output lag is better now than before as valve tuned a bit the animations, but still much higher than input lag.

Maybe the difference between my and your point is that for me the game at least SOMETIMES works fine. And i still believe its only server issue as i always find issues even in server sided replays after games i remember being running rly crappy so logically the issues are not on player side.