"Let Windows decides what's best for my PC" - Windows GUI personalisation

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Jonnyc55

"Let Windows decides what's best for my PC" - Windows GUI personalisation

Post by Jonnyc55 » 15 Jan 2024, 08:52

You see this setting by windows key + r, typing in: SystemPropertiesAdvanced

Then go to settings under 'Performance'. First tab.

The default is: "Let Windows decides what's best for my computer".

I was thinking, because today we have rampant tech companies giving us nice cosy stories and reasons to take our data, or a reason to monitor it, such as diagnostics even though we had amazing games and software before all that telemetry stuff and have many horrid games and software from big companies today... yeah. Anyway. I feel like this setting is giving Windows a legal reason to monitor GPU/CPU and its threads. This comment jolted me more to this conclusion, from reddit:
I believe this is a relic from the Vista days, where it would test your hardware for render speed and adjust based on that. I remember both Vista and W7 would disable and re-enable glass/aero effects when playing games. You'd see the interface turn solid, the game would open, and when you closed the game, the effects would turn back on.

This is based on both pure speculation and personal experience. I have seen W10 disable start menu transparency when under heavy load.
Yikes, it's possible therefore, with that setting, Windows monitors for gaming activity, whatever that could extend to? We don't know. Also a setting change when under heavy load, so it is constantly monitoring CPU activity.

Not to mention the possibility that 'diagnostics' from this could be compiled for telemetry back to MS servers. More overhead.

I've gone to custom instead, and went like this:
dfdf.png
dfdf.png (19.2 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
I don't recognise most of them features, so I turn them off. I leave the ones I recognise and reminiscent of. I don't care for shadows under my windows. 'Enable Peek' is the little square bottom right of your desktop, which when you hover your cursor over it, reveals the desktop. I think this is a new Windows 10 thing, so I turned that off, since I just don't trust Windows 10's corporate model and don't really need or use peek. Windows key + D, is powerful enough for me as a replacement for peek.

Thoughts? All I can think is that this sounds like a good excuse to let Windows monitor yet more stuff and engage processes that are possibly ill designed to performance, and we won't know just how poorly this is implemented, so if it's not used, no more worries.