Fix for input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
petergase

Re: Fix for input lag

Post by petergase » 11 Mar 2024, 14:19

this is fkn awesome, wtf. Why does this work? My mouse is way slower after restart

bleya99

Post by bleya99 » 12 Mar 2024, 04:38

wyrko_o wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 15:54
Go to device manager, under Monitors right click on your monitor and then Disable device. Restart your pc. Don't worry, your monitor will still be working, just windows has no control over it. Enjoy your snappy mouse movement and no recoil feeling in first person shooters.

I can't believe this worked. Initially, when the post was made, I only disabled monitors in device manager, as stated above, and couldn't really feel a difference.

However, today I disabled brightness on my monitor (set it to 0) and I did 1 more thing, which might or might not make an impact, I am not going to change anything and enjoy this while it lasts, hopefully forever.

I enabled reference mode in Nvidia Control Panel, see picture below, I did it for both monitors just to be sure.

Thank you OP!
Attachments
referencemode1.png
referencemode1.png (30.08 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

ccfan

Post by ccfan » 01 Apr 2024, 11:06

Ok so disabling the monitor in device manager really does work for me but it does so very inconsistently however I messed around a lot and figured out a way to get it to consistently feel good (on my system at least ;) ).

Step 1- Disable monitor in device manager
11.PNG
11.PNG (1.66 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
Step 2- Restart PC

FROM HERE ON OUT THESE STEPS NEED TO BE REPEATED ON EVERY BOOT (FOR MY SYSTEM AT LEAST), steps 1 and 2 don't need to be repeated every boot as long as the driver remains disabled

Your monitor driver should still be disabled after the restart however windows re-initiates the driver's folder in the registry every boot. Even though the driver is disabled/unloaded windows re-initiates the monitor's EDID on boot which is what's causing the fix not remaining consistent for me.
1.PNG
1.PNG (48.4 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
This entire DISPLAY folder gets re-initiated on every boot even if you click uninstall in device manager instead of disable (uninstall in device manager deletes this entire display folder but it reappears on pc boot)

Step 3- Delete the EDID entry in the image above. It can get pretty annoying to navigate to this every boot so what you can do instead (this is what i prefer to do) is using Custom Resolution Utility to delete the monitor profile.

22.PNG
22.PNG (35.37 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
After deleting that profile, it should delete the EDID entry in regedit. If you try to reopen CRU after deleting the profile it should display an error which reads "No displays found in the registry"

Step 4 - Now we need to refresh the monitor driver using shift+ctrl+windows key+b OR toggling a setting in the nvidia control panel that leads to the display turning on and off again briefly (i just toggle reference mode colors but scaling and refresh rate should work fine, idk tho). DON'T USE RESTART64.EXE from CRU as this re-initiates the monitor driver and EDID.

So to recap, you need to boot into windows with the monitor driver disabled, delete the EDID via registry or CRU then refresh the gpu driver in such a way that the EDID remains deleted.

This method has been working consistently for me for about 2 weeks now so i figure i'd share it to see if you guys find similar results.

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 01 Apr 2024, 12:53

It's the first time in years that something new has come out and been well received. Curious to test this later.

What mayh justify this? Some background process listening for events to check if something has changed, like brightness or something like that?

Quish

Post by Quish » 01 Apr 2024, 13:46

ccfan wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 11:06
Ok so disabling the monitor in device manager really does work for me but it does so very inconsistently however I messed around a lot and figured out a way to get it to consistently feel good (on my system at least ;) ).

Step 1- Disable monitor in device manager
11.PNG

Step 2- Restart PC

FROM HERE ON OUT THESE STEPS NEED TO BE REPEATED ON EVERY BOOT (FOR MY SYSTEM AT LEAST), steps 1 and 2 don't need to be repeated every boot as long as the driver remains disabled

Your monitor driver should still be disabled after the restart however windows re-initiates the driver's folder in the registry every boot. Even though the driver is disabled/unloaded windows re-initiates the monitor's EDID on boot which is what's causing the fix not remaining consistent for me.

1.PNG

This entire DISPLAY folder gets re-initiated on every boot even if you click uninstall in device manager instead of disable (uninstall in device manager deletes this entire display folder but it reappears on pc boot)

Step 3- Delete the EDID entry in the image above. It can get pretty annoying to navigate to this every boot so what you can do instead (this is what i prefer to do) is using Custom Resolution Utility to delete the monitor profile.

22.PNG

After deleting that profile, it should delete the EDID entry in regedit. If you try to reopen CRU after deleting the profile it should display an error which reads "No displays found in the registry"

Step 4 - Now we need to refresh the monitor driver using shift+ctrl+windows key+b OR toggling a setting in the nvidia control panel that leads to the display turning on and off again briefly (i just toggle reference mode colors but scaling and refresh rate should work fine, idk tho). DON'T USE RESTART64.EXE from CRU as this re-initiates the monitor driver and EDID.

So to recap, you need to boot into windows with the monitor driver disabled, delete the EDID via registry or CRU then refresh the gpu driver in such a way that the EDID remains deleted.

This method has been working consistently for me for about 2 weeks now so i figure i'd share it to see if you guys find similar results.
Couldn't you just disable the permissions in the registry to fix it?

Slender

Post by Slender » 01 Apr 2024, 18:01

andrelip wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 12:53
It's the first time in years that something new has come out and been well received. Curious to test this later.

What mayh justify this? Some background process listening for events to check if something has changed, like brightness or something like that?
that is lock windows monitor settings like ICC-profiles

SeekNDstroy

Post by SeekNDstroy » 02 Apr 2024, 01:31

ccfan wrote:

What if I have made custom resolution via gpu driver control panel?

Assuming, this method will only work if you have to stick with the default preset values.

I didn't notice any significant difference by disabling the monitor driver. Probably because I have made changes in the CRU and kept only one entry for the 1080p resolution in the detailed resolution section.

I had to select the CVT reduced timings for 144hz to downclock the amd memory. I will try to check your steps today.

Lev1n

Post by Lev1n » 02 Apr 2024, 02:06

SeekNDstroy wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 01:31
ccfan wrote:

Assuming, this method will only work if you have to stick with the default preset values.

I didn't notice any significant difference by disabling the monitor driver. Probably because I have made changes in the CRU and kept only one entry for the 1080p resolution in the detailed resolution section.

I had to select the CVT reduced timings for 144hz to downclock the amd memory. I will try to check your steps today.
Im using this tweak like this; i get the timings from cru and put them in to nvidia custom res and disabling my monitor on device manager.

ccfan

Post by ccfan » 02 Apr 2024, 06:05

SeekNDstroy wrote:
ccfan wrote:

Tested this quickly by adding a random custom res of a unique dimensions (1750 x 950) to both CRU and then via nvidia control panel. The CRU one gets deleted every EDID clear obviously but it remains applied if the EDID is deleted after the custom res is applied during the same boot, on restart it re-initiates a new EDID which clears out the custom res.

The same custom res made via nvidia control panel remains even if EDID is deleted or not and the fix still works and feels smooth for me at 1750 x 950. So basically if you want to run a custom res set it via your GPU driver's control panel instead of CRU directly (Just as Lev1n mentions in the previous post). Unless you want to keep applying the same custom res in CRU every delete and boot, requiring you to delete it again :cry:

Lev1n

Post by Lev1n » 02 Apr 2024, 06:15

ccfan wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 06:05
SeekNDstroy wrote:
ccfan wrote:

Tested this quickly by adding a random custom res of a unique dimensions (1750 x 950) to both CRU and then via nvidia control panel. The CRU one gets deleted every EDID clear obviously but it remains applied if the EDID is deleted after the custom res is applied during the same boot, on restart it re-initiates a new EDID which clears out the custom res.

The same custom res made via nvidia control panel remains even if EDID is deleted or not and the fix still works and feels smooth for me at 1750 x 950. So basically if you want to run a custom res set it via your GPU driver's control panel instead of CRU directly (Just as Lev1n mentions in the previous post). Unless you want to keep applying the same custom res in CRU every delete and boot, requiring you to delete it again :cry:
I want to add valorant is not working when you delete or disable anything on cru or device manager. Also pubg is crashing for me didnt found the solution.