test "end-to-end latency" with iphone?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
fisker1

test "end-to-end latency" with iphone?

Post by fisker1 » 21 Feb 2024, 02:25

Hello

I plan to compare a few settings with each other, for example settings xy with value xy
and see whether they have an influence on the “end-to-end latency”.

I read up a bit and...
I realized that the apparently best method was with a 1000fps camera and
With combination with connection with a built-in LED in the mouse, which must be visible on the recording of the 1000fps camera

example: https://youtu.be/7CKnJ5ujL_Q?t=288

I don't have a 1000fps camera yet and I've read that some people also do it with a "modified mouse" (with built-in LED) and their iPhone
Of course, I am aware that the measurement accuracy is not as precise as, for example, with a 1000fps.
and come back to my actual question

I have 4 recording options on my iPhone 13 mini
"slo-mo" HD 240fps
"slo-mo" HD 120fps
"Video" HD 60fps
"Video" 4k 60fps

A side note I will test with a 360hz monitor "benq zowie xl2566k"

Normally more is better but I wonder whether the iPhone uses a certain type of interpolation of the images when recording at "240fps" :?:
I've been googling for a long time and unfortunately I haven't found anything.

Which of the 4 different recording types would be best suited?

Thanks in advance for reading! :D

greenenemy

Re: test "end-to-end latency" with iphone?

Post by greenenemy » 23 Feb 2024, 02:34

If you have doubts about whether the 240fps are legitimate, I suggest conducting a test. You can record a timer from your monitor and examine the video frame by frame to determine if frames are being interpolated. Based on my observations, capable hardware for this has been available in the market for quite some time, leading me to suspect that it is indeed real 240fps.

fisker1

Post by fisker1 » 25 Feb 2024, 11:36

all right i will give it a try thanks for your answer!
and will report back here if it works ;)

Azure828

Post by Azure828 » 03 Mar 2024, 12:34

The best option would be the 240fps of course, also there is an app that makes this process extremely easy, it's called "Is It Snappy?" on the App Store and it's free with no ads, I use it constantly and it has helped me a lot, of course there is a margin of inaccuracy because this is not 1000fps, as such I suggest to do a lot of tests of the same scenario and then calculate an average.

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 03 Mar 2024, 22:30

The same 240fps option you have with osmo action 4 however only US version wont get overheated after some time.