Game delay

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Mesziahs

Game delay

Post by Mesziahs » 26 Feb 2024, 10:34

Hello,

I need help badly cause I am all out of ideas. So my old laptop which was an i7 8th gen, 1050ti (I believe) was perfect, games ran smoothly with no delay. But then I decided to switch up to a PC cause they're usually better, but ever since I built it, games seem to have a weird delay, doesn't feel like an internet delay (I use ethernet and average 15-20ms) and it's not frame rate since I get pretty good fps (over 144fps) on games, but there is some response time delay, I am unsure what to call it, but it just feels like even though my setup is good, that I have 0 time to react to anything and I instantly get killed, whereas on my old laptop it was never like this. So the PC I built originallyc was an i7-6700k, 970ti, 16gb ram, 550w psu and this is the first PC that had issues. So, I switched the GPU from a 970 to a 1060, this didn't fix it, so then I once again switched it, but to an rx570 8gb, this also didn't work. Then, I swapped everything out and currently run a Ryzen 5 2600 6c 12th, 16gb ram, 1650 super, and I still had the issue, so I tried using 1 stick of ram instead (going to 8gb) this didn't fix it either, and I've even tried new ram completely multiple times, from using Corsair RGB Pro, to Corsair LPX, and now using G.Skill ripjaws, and I still face the same issue. I've even tried swapping monitors, from my 75hz 1ms Asus, to a 100hz 1ms Lenovo and now I'm using a benq 144hz 1ms and still nothing. I just don't know what else to do.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thank you.

xShino

Re: Game delay

Post by xShino » 26 Feb 2024, 13:09

This won't help you, but this exactly what happened to me - and probably other people too. No hardware change seems to solve the problem, even though, it started with a hardware change.

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 26 Feb 2024, 14:37

Do you still have your laptop to test it, or is it gone?

ApexLeg

Post by ApexLeg » 26 Feb 2024, 16:29

Yeah sounds like your typical desync. I used to have an old PC and never had the issues until I upgraded the whole thing to one with the latest hardware.

But yeah unfortunately I don't know of a permanent fix and I've been looking for years.

d-unknown

Post by d-unknown » 26 Feb 2024, 17:59

this is the so called client side desync , try this and post results :
1st, save your bios settings if you did modifications to it
then shutdown your pc (windows shutdown), remove power cord from psu, remove cmos battery , wait 1 min, put back cmos battery, plug power cord turn on your pc, load your previously saved bios settings (if any)
you should now have few minutes without desync or at least a noticeable improvement

if it doesn't work, try to disable xmp profile of your ram,that will me them running at the default speed (2133mhz) and try again

xPrzybyLx

Post by xPrzybyLx » 26 Feb 2024, 18:18

It's the same for me.

I recently changed my ISP to FTTH and at first it was fairly ok, now I feel like I am behind what is actually going on in the game by 500ms - 1s... I can't kill anyone, despite the fact that I shoot first I die first.

The game is Apex Legends, the ping is 30ms no info about packet loss or any "red icons" suggesting issues with connection, yet there is something with the connection - or my PC? I don't know at this point. Sad state of multiplayer gaming for some of us.

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 26 Feb 2024, 19:11

Some ppl had benefits by changing the pc case

xPrzybyLx

Post by xPrzybyLx » 27 Feb 2024, 11:38

I just want to share one thing that I still can't wrap my head around.

When I was playing at night around 4am on my previous ISP which was coaxial cable (1GB/40MB), so not really that great connection, suddenly all issues went away, I thought I was dreaming, my shots were landing/connecting, no more slowdowns of my character, no more "time rewinds", no more being hit behind the cover.

It's like if anyone has never experience these issues we can sound to them like lunatics - seriously - that night for me was completely different experience!

Again it's sad that some of us just can't enjoy multiplayer games and we have no idea what is going on.

ApexLeg

Post by ApexLeg » 27 Feb 2024, 14:16

xPrzybyLx wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 11:38
I just want to share one thing that I still can't wrap my head around.

When I was playing at night around 4am on my previous ISP which was coaxial cable (1GB/40MB), so not really that great connection, suddenly all issues went away, I thought I was dreaming, my shots were landing/connecting, no more slowdowns of my character, no more "time rewinds", no more being hit behind the cover.

It's like if anyone has never experience these issues we can sound to them like lunatics - seriously - that night for me was completely different experience!

Again it's sad that some of us just can't enjoy multiplayer games and we have no idea what is going on.
I 100% know what you mean. I play with mates on CoD (they're on console and I'm on PC and they don't barely know how to log into a roiter) and they never get desync issues, they just think I'm moaning. They even see things on my screen spectating me before I do! When I spectate them it's like I'm watching a different game.