Why does a fresh install of Windows is offering the least input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
alcor

Why does a fresh install of Windows is offering the least input lag?

Post by alcor » 04 Mar 2024, 13:44

Long time lurker here, I've read of many many tweaks and optimization for pc gaming but like many people here, the problem comes back. Cursor lag is what Ive been dealing with(not 1 - 1 mouse movement to game). What I've noticed is that after a fresh installation of windows(and a bit of tweaking) is when the mouse seems to be most responsive. The issue worsen day by day and usually after nearly a week I have to reinstall windows again. I tried research but nothing really ever came up about this specifically. I read that there could be a windows update causing it, but thats not true because even after not updating the problem persists. Also I do find someone saying it was some driver update that window did, which I couldnt test for. I'm just here to find the answer to why is it so responsive after each fresh install?
Also to check if its placebo or not I'll try using Deep Freeze for a week to see the outcome, will update later if possible

howcani

Re: Why does a fresh install of Windows is offering the least input lag?

Post by howcani » 12 Mar 2024, 20:41

I have the same problem and many ppl have it, everytime 9 of 10 after reinstall os and just made some basic tweaks the csgo/cs2 runs perfectly smooth top hitreg, spray is ez, u don't get prefired so much u don't get one taped so much etc.. but after like 1-3days, sometimes after just 1 rr pc everything comeback.. actually i tried deep freeze once only, and it didn't help for me, let's see if it helps for u i will try to test it again

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 26 Mar 2024, 09:11

Placebo. Why should windows "degrade" after time? (unless windows update is messing something up) If that would be the case, then what happens after 2 weeks? Constant blue screens and 10fps? This is not how PCs work.
Either your PC is unstable, or something different is going on.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 26 Mar 2024, 09:29

I don't want to toss everything onto one argument or point of reference or reason. PC's are far too complex for that and outside influences.

Though, I do think the bigger or biggest blame could be just bloat overtime with Windows Updates having the biggest effects. I've had an old Win10 21H1 install for a very long time with WU fully disabled and it was stable and consistent. Not recommended anyone to do but interesting testing.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

howcani

Post by howcani » 26 Mar 2024, 09:33

FPSMaster wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 09:11
Placebo. Why should windows "degrade" after time? (unless windows update is messing something up) If that would be the case, then what happens after 2 weeks? Constant blue screens and 10fps? This is not how PCs work.
ye placebo just searched for this for 2minutes and everybody has placebo effect, dont say if u rely only by your experience

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... h&start=20

https://www.google.com/search?q=csgo+fr ... e&ie=UTF-8

howcani

Post by howcani » 26 Mar 2024, 09:35

Kyouki wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 09:29
I don't want to toss everything onto one argument or point of reference or reason. PC's are far too complex for that and outside influences.

Though, I do think the bigger or biggest blame could be just bloat overtime with Windows Updates having the biggest effects. I've had an old Win10 21H1 install for a very long time with WU fully disabled and it was stable and consistent. Not recommended anyone to do but interesting testing.
it doesn't get updated cause i tested xOS,ggOS,AtlasOS and many many stripped OS'es that don't even have windows update at all u just can't even enable them

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 26 Mar 2024, 09:59

howcani wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 09:33
FPSMaster wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 09:11
ye placebo just searched for this for 2minutes and everybody has placebo effect, dont say if u rely only by your experience

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... h&start=20

https://www.google.com/search?q=csgo+fr ... e&ie=UTF-8
Ok so, there are several ways to easily verify this. Do a Benchmark of various things after you freshly installed Windows.
You can test your GPU with 3d Mark Firestrike. CPU with Cinebench R2024. You can test your Storage Drives with Crystal Disk Info. Mouse with Mouse Tester and then you wanna test your Drivers with XPerf (don't use Latencymon, it is unreliable). Of course conduct a Game Benchmark too.
Make a Screenshot of each Results and then you can compare it to a later Date of the Windows Install.

But if you just test stuff by your feels, it can be EASILY placebo. Example:
Not sleeping enough can increase your reaction times by a substantial amount, which can be noticed as "Lag". I mean just the time between you noticing a change on the screen and the time until you actually responding takes at least 100ms-250ms, depending on your reaction times and skills.

So, use all the good benchmark testing tools that get offered to you and try to at least verify your obervations.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 26 Mar 2024, 10:09

howcani wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 09:35
Kyouki wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 09:29

it doesn't get updated cause i tested xOS,ggOS,AtlasOS and many many stripped OS'es that don't even have windows update at all u just can't even enable them
I replied to the title on OP's question.

Placebo? Maybe. Maybe not. That's the power of placebo. Though given the experience example I have given, I do feel like strongly that it is not. The system remained very consistent throughout.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you