Limiting factor in input delay with a monitor

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
BTRY B 529th FA BN

Limiting factor in input delay with a monitor

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 09 Mar 2024, 20:50

What is the limiting factor when it comes to input delay with a monitor? Is it the refresh rate or is it the pixel response time?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Limiting factor in input delay with a monitor

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Mar 2024, 21:32

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:50
What is the limiting factor when it comes to input delay with a monitor? Is it the refresh rate or is it the pixel response time?
Both and beyond.

If your question is "which is the bigger limiting factor", my answer is still "Both and beyond".

I've seen pixel response time contribute more, and I've seen refresh rate contribute more. It depends on various variables and magnitudes.

For OLED, it will definitely almost always be the frame rate and refresh rate and other lags (e.g. tapedelay behavior of display processing, the computer software, etc), as the pixel response speed is just literally microsecond league rounding errors in latency.

Increasing either frame rate OR refresh rate, will generally reduce lag too (if all other variables in the lag chain are equal):
-- 200fps has less lag than 100fps, regardless of whether you have 60Hz or 360Hz. (Useful reading: Are there advantages of frame rates beyond refresh rate? ...)
-- Likewise, for "everything-else-has-same-lag" (e.g. same pixel response speed, same display processing tapedelay-style latency, etc), 100fps at 240Hz has less lag than 100fps at 144Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Re: Limiting factor in input delay with a monitor

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 09 Mar 2024, 22:01

Given all things being equal except for pixel response, e.g. 360 Refreshrate ISP vs OLED minimum fps above 360 except isp pixel is 2.5ms vs 0.1ms OLED, will the oled have lower input lag? I use to think it was refreshrate that limited input to the 1000/refreshrate 1000/360=2.78ms but I'm starting to think it's pixel response time that is the leading metric.