Acer XF250QC Strange Problem

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
fjoecs

Acer XF250QC Strange Problem

Post by fjoecs » 20 Mar 2024, 07:43

Hello,

I am the owner of 240hz Acer XF250QC monitor. I have this monitor for 3 years now. I've been changing my PC parts but I always experienced some strange input lags which I couldn't explain. Recently, after I downloaded Custom Resolution Utility, I found out that my input lags are most likely caused by my monitor as I have fully optimized system. Every time when I launch reset-all.exe and restart64.exe in CRU and set 240hz, my mouse feels different even on desktop.

Does anybody know what could be the reason behind it and how to fix it?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Acer XF250QC Strange Problem

Post by RealNC » 23 Mar 2024, 05:21

fjoecs wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 07:43
Moved to correct forum section.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

timecard

Post by timecard » 23 Mar 2024, 11:04

This is the source code if it helps:
https://github.com/radamar/Custom-Resol ... eset-all.c

It looks like it delete's all monitor registry keys under these paths, this is where windows stores information about the monitor like scaling method, refresh rate, monitor info, EDID values etc. Deleting all of these together likely causes windows to perform reidentification and detection again, and likely reload drivers (basicdisplay, amd, nvidia)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity\*

Stored Device Settings, EDID
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\<device>\<id>\Device Parameters\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\<device>\*

LasseF

Post by LasseF » 23 Mar 2024, 21:06

Do you have 2 monitors? I had a similar problem with weird mouse-feel that showed up after a couple of seconds or when I alt-tab that I think I fixed. I have one Acer xv253q 1920x1080 240hz and one Acer 3440x1440 60hz. Both have GSYNC. I changed both monitors to their default resolutions, but I made my 240hz monitor 60hz on desktop and changed the scaling to "full-screen" and to "perform scaling on display" in NVCP. I also checked override scaling set by games.

On the 3440x1440 monitor I set the scaling to "aspect ratio" and "perform scaling on display", but I do not check the override button.

On the monitors hardware I make sure "wide mode" is "aspect ratio" on both of them.

Then ingame I change the refresh rate back to 240hz. I have a newly installed W11 with basically all settings on default. When I turned on core isolation in W11 my fps and frametimes in OW2 actually improved. Alt-tabbing is sadly slow this way but my game feels incredibly responsive and it feels like the hitreg is better too. I have a 4k hz mouse and it feels incredibly snappy now.

I forgot to add but it's important to choose the ultra-hd resolution setting in NVCP for your monitor(s). So your main is set to ultra-hd 1080p @60hz and your other monitor (if you have one) is set to the native ultra-hd also @60hz. I found it was better to remove the monitor with win+p when I game but if you need a second monitor they have to be the same hz. For some reason Windows resizes my game wrong when I alt-tab or go into settings in OW2 when I have the second monitor on. It screws up the scaling and adds tons of weird mouse smoothing and delay.
Last edited by RealNC on 24 Mar 2024, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts

fjoecs

Post by fjoecs » 24 Mar 2024, 16:29

LasseF wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 21:06
Do you have 2 monitors? I had a similar problem with weird mouse-feel that showed up after a couple of seconds or when I alt-tab that I think I fixed. I have one Acer xv253q 1920x1080 240hz and one Acer 3440x1440 60hz. Both have GSYNC. I changed both monitors to their default resolutions, but I made my 240hz monitor 60hz on desktop and changed the scaling to "full-screen" and to "perform scaling on display" in NVCP. I also checked override scaling set by games.

On the 3440x1440 monitor I set the scaling to "aspect ratio" and "perform scaling on display", but I do not check the override button.

On the monitors hardware I make sure "wide mode" is "aspect ratio" on both of them.

Then ingame I change the refresh rate back to 240hz. I have a newly installed W11 with basically all settings on default. When I turned on core isolation in W11 my fps and frametimes in OW2 actually improved. Alt-tabbing is sadly slow this way but my game feels incredibly responsive and it feels like the hitreg is better too. I have a 4k hz mouse and it feels incredibly snappy now.

I forgot to add but it's important to choose the ultra-hd resolution setting in NVCP for your monitor(s). So your main is set to ultra-hd 1080p @60hz and your other monitor (if you have one) is set to the native ultra-hd also @60hz. I found it was better to remove the monitor with win+p when I game but if you need a second monitor they have to be the same hz. For some reason Windows resizes my game wrong when I alt-tab or go into settings in OW2 when I have the second monitor on. It screws up the scaling and adds tons of weird mouse smoothing and delay.
Thank you for your answer. I don't have 2 monitors, however, I think that I found a FIX for my issue (at least in game). My cheap monitor doesn't support 1280x960 @ 240hz according to it's documentation and I think that it was scaling the game incorrectly. I created a 1280x960 @ 240hz detailed resolution in CRU with the same timings used in 1920x1080 @ 240hz, deleted all the extension blocks and chose "Center" in AMD Scaling Mode settings. Everything is working fine as for now.