It's fixed? or atleast it's found! This time for real

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
schandras

It's fixed? or atleast it's found! This time for real

Post by schandras » 25 Mar 2024, 09:13

Attention folks!!
I think I finally found what is wrong for majority of the people who complain about input lag,
Floaty aim, heavy swamp mouse, heavy keyboard, blurry pictures etc,
It's not electricity.
It's related to VRR.

For people with gsync/freesync monitors and nvidia cards, I want you to check out something.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/community/demos/
https://us.download.nvidia.com/download ... C_1.13.exe

Download the gsync pendulum demo, makes sure you have setup gsync properly and can enable it in demo.
Open the demo and click the simulate 60fps option. do you find any stuttering?
In my case I had major stuttering even though my frametime graphs were flat.
That means there was something going wrong with the monitor.
So, I did a frequency sweep from below VRR range at 20fps to above VRR range until I found I had no stuttering at 60fps. you can do this with the fps sliders. I think most of the improvement comes from setting the fps as low as possible, maybe some sort of buffer memory is cleared this way.
press Escape to exit.
After this I found the heavy mouse cursor feeling gone and the videos/moving pictures became much clearer, the heavy keyboard is also gone.

I guess what I am doing is sort of re-calibrating the VRR in monitor?
So if the issue returns you can just redo it until engineers find a fix.

There are lot's of people posting here and I understand that they all might not suffer the same problems.
But this should be simple to do for most folks.

About AMD I think the process should be the same but, I don't know if you can get the gsync pendulum demo to run.
My Relevant hardware:
- Monitor -- Gigabyte M27Q (AMD Freesync Premium), Before that I had an Acer B227Q that also had uncertified Adaptive Sync. both had the same issue.
- GPU -- Nvidia 3060Ti connected through Display Port.

If you have VRR capable monitor, you should definitely look into it even if you are not enabling gsync / freesync.

kriegsnake

Re: It's fixed? or atleast it's found! This time for real

Post by kriegsnake » 25 Mar 2024, 10:14

This demos don't run on amd cards.

dermodemon

Post by dermodemon » 25 Mar 2024, 10:53

I did not understand.
What should we do to fix this?
I have Gsync capable monitor and no stuttering in pendulum at all.
Still mouse feels like i am playing on ice (VGN R1 SE+, Orochiv2, fantech aria xd7, xd5, darmoshark m3, mm712. All of them have floaty feeling)

schandras

Post by schandras » 25 Mar 2024, 11:39

Okay basically what I am saying is give the VRR an exercise, monitor you monitor (heh) refresh rate (enable by getting into monitor settings) and confirm that VRR is working, get your frames as low as possible, so that LFC (Low framerate Compensation) kicks in. For AMD cards you can do this by pumping up the resolution and graphics settings inside gpu intensive game. I guess it's just more convenient for Nvidia with this software.

If you don't get any improvement then maybe your issue was not as severe as mine, But I hope it can help others.

dermodemon

Post by dermodemon » 25 Mar 2024, 11:52

gsync is working as intended. i lowered my fps in demo to 20, but it didn't do the trick sadly. but thanks for the tip

eclipse512

Post by eclipse512 » 26 Mar 2024, 00:24

schandras wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 09:13
Attention folks!!
I think I finally found what is wrong for majority of the people who complain about input lag,
It's not electricity.
It's related to VRR.

For people with gsync/freesync monitors and nvidia cards, I want you to check out something.

Download the gsync pendulum demo, makes sure you have setup gsync properly and can enable it in demo.
So, I did a frequency sweep from below VRR range at 20fps to above VRR range until I found I had no stuttering at 60fps. you can do this with the fps sliders. I think most of the improvement comes from setting the fps as low as possible, maybe some sort of buffer memory is cleared this way.
press Escape to exit.
After this I found the heavy mouse cursor feeling gone and the videos/moving pictures became much clearer, the heavy keyboard is also gone.

There are lot's of people posting here and I understand that they all might not suffer the same problems.

About AMD I think the process should be the same but, I don't know if you can get the gsync pendulum demo to run.
My Relevant hardware:
- Monitor -- Gigabyte M27Q (AMD Freesync Premium), Before that I had an Acer B227Q that also had uncertified Adaptive Sync. both had the same issue.

If you have VRR capable monitor, you should definitely look into it even if you are not enabling gsync / freesync.
I don't know what weird thing you just made me do but I do see better visual and inputs on my monitor and pc.
Absolutely not ruling out the placebo factor and I am curious about how long have you gone on for after doing this demo thing and things going back to normal shit again?

Anyways I am going to test this anyway for a prolonged period of time before passing any judgement because this issue has has driven me crazy for years now and it has a habit of coming back from the dead.

Anyways thanks for sharing.

schandras

Post by schandras » 27 Mar 2024, 00:34

eclipse512 wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 00:24
schandras wrote:
Attention folks!!
It's not electricity.
It's related to VRR.

press Escape to exit.

My Relevant hardware:

I don't know what weird thing you just made me do but I do see better visual and inputs on my monitor and pc.
Absolutely not ruling out the placebo factor and I am curious about how long have you gone on for after doing this demo thing and things going back to normal shit again?

Anyways I am going to test this anyway for a prolonged period of time before passing any judgement because this issue has has driven me crazy for years now and it has a habit of coming back from the dead.

Anyways thanks for sharing.
Heres how I can explain why this would work.
In softwares/firmwares the problem of buffer overflow is a very common bug.

I am speculating that due to some funky bug in VRR implementation in some monitors some kind of buffer overflow occurs in freesync monitors, and the buffer is not cleared properly, this means that frames get queued and result in input lag and stutters.

When you drive the framerate low the input rate < output rate. Considering that LFC Low framerate compensation will often double or triple the input rate compared to the Freesync range.

Once this happens you give the buffer a chance to clear itself since the buffer is emptying faster than it's getting filled. And after a while things start to get working as they should.

I understand this is a far stretch but it's definitely not a placebo, It's working for me right now just like the day I fixed it.

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 27 Mar 2024, 09:29

schandras wrote:
Attention folks!!
It's not electricity.
It's related to VRR.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/community/demos/
https://us.download.nvidia.com/download ... C_1.13.exe

press Escape to exit.

My Relevant hardware:

How did you do frequency sweep? I have a benq ex2510s monitor. Also as long as i can check the gsync in the demo it means it works right?

schandras

Post by schandras » 27 Mar 2024, 11:17

Sebichek45 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 09:29
How did you do frequency sweep? I have a benq ex2510s monitor. Also as long as i can check the gsync in the demo it means it works right?
click on the fps sliders option bottom left.
from there you can control the max and min frame rate.
I think most of the benefit comes from getting your frame rate as low as possible.
drag the max frame rate slider to the left and make it 20fps.
run it like this for a while. After that you can drag the min slider right to do a sweep until the max possible fps.
make sure the gsync option is ticked.

for AMD users you can just run a game or anything that activates freesync and use an fps limiter like RTSS to achieve the same in theory.

babooz99

Post by babooz99 » 30 Mar 2024, 19:17

dude wtf are u talking about. Where are the instructions u make no sense what is this bullshit