It's over.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Vocaleyes

It's over.

Post by Vocaleyes » 27 Mar 2024, 23:22

I give up. It's never going to get fixed. Mouse will forever feel like an emulation and not how it used to in w7, that allowed for the development of muscle memory. I'm done, I'm broken, and hope I don't wake up tomorrow.

Good luck.

n1zoo

Re: It's over.

Post by n1zoo » 28 Mar 2024, 00:16

It's unfixable. I quit playing fps shooters since november. Blow in the wind.

MIETAS

Post by MIETAS » 28 Mar 2024, 03:11

Vocaleyes wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 23:22
I give up. It's never going to get fixed. Mouse will forever feel like an emulation and not how it used to in w7, that allowed for the development of muscle memory. I'm done, I'm broken, and hope I don't wake up tomorrow.

Good luck.
Been there, done that. It's not worth the hassle in the long run, good fella. Chasing goose isn't worth damaging your mental health. You're a gamer by heart, just like I am, but constant struggle is just silly - the sooner you realize that, the better.

I am a filthy casual now, got over it and mentally its the best thing I could help myself with.
Years back I was so focused on getting the old flawless, glorious gaming experience back - lost shitloads of money and time, and got nothing but frustration in return.
Time to move on!

cursed-gamer

Post by cursed-gamer » 28 Mar 2024, 03:38

Vocaleyes wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 23:22

Good luck.
Read about people who can't wear battery watches. This problem is known for experienced watchmakers but there is no good explanation why does it happen. "Muddy" mouse feeling stays with me everywhere I play. Dismantle your mouse and put some steel thin mesh inside and test it.

shebu

Post by shebu » 28 Mar 2024, 05:07

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 28 Mar 2024, 06:57

I have a Latency Tool and I found out, 90% of all the tweaks are placebo. Human mind can actually easily add 50ms of "placebo lag".

Just debloat windows (Uninstall all useless AppxPackages, Apps), disable all power saving features, set interrupt affinities, set devices to msi mode, disable memory compression and never let your GPU reach over 95% Usage.

Hardware is the biggest factor, NOT tweaking your OS. Sadly most people here don't understand this. I saw people complaining about lag, when they were playing on a GT 1030 paired with a old I3 dual core CPU and a 60hz office monitor and thaught tweaking windows would give them god tier responses... there is a clear line, of when it gonna get unplayable based on hardware.

The biggest problem is, that nobody really tested most of the tweaks (except couple of youtubers) and people claim to have fixed things, based on their feels. While in reality, most of these tweaks don't even reduce lag by 1ms. Not even 0.5ms.... that just shows the power of placebo and how it influences human reaction times.

Since I confirmed that tweaking windows maybe improves 5% of the lag in the whole input lag chain, I understood that most of this stuff is placebo.

ApexLeg

Post by ApexLeg » 28 Mar 2024, 10:44

FPSMaster wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 06:57
I have a Latency Tool and I found out, 90% of all the tweaks are placebo. Human mind can actually easily add 50ms of "placebo lag".

Just debloat windows (Uninstall all useless AppxPackages, Apps), disable all power saving features, set interrupt affinities, set devices to msi mode, disable memory compression and never let your GPU reach over 95% Usage.

Hardware is the biggest factor, NOT tweaking your OS. Sadly most people here don't understand this. I saw people complaining about lag, when they were playing on a GT 1030 paired with a old I3 dual core CPU and a 60hz office monitor and thaught tweaking windows would give them god tier responses... there is a clear line, of when it gonna get unplayable based on hardware.

The biggest problem is, that nobody really tested most of the tweaks (except couple of youtubers) and people claim to have fixed things, based on their feels. While in reality, most of these tweaks don't even reduce lag by 1ms. Not even 0.5ms.... that just shows the power of placebo and how it influences human reaction times.

Since I confirmed that tweaking windows maybe improves 5% of the lag in the whole input lag chain, I understood that most of this stuff is placebo.
You say that is hardware, but there are many cases, you'll find on here, where people's old machines perform way better (ie no input lag/desync) than their newer ones. It's really odd.

FPSMaster

Post by FPSMaster » 28 Mar 2024, 11:43

ApexLeg wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 10:44
FPSMaster wrote:

You say that is hardware, but there are many cases, you'll find on here, where people's old machines perform way better (ie no input lag/desync) than their newer ones. It's really odd.
But at the same time, these people NEVER tested their systems.

There is no logical explenation for why this would happen. The only thing could be, that they have some kind of compatibility issue. Maybe they used a incompatible ram kit with their CPU and mobo. Maybe they used a bad power supply. Maybe they used a bad CPU in combination with a high end GPU. Most of the stuff is user skill issue or incompatibility.

Of course there could also be some kind of driver issues, but that also mostly happens due to data corruption or a bad windows install, and not because of the hardware. Out of the box, windows does a pretty good job in finding the best drivers for your hardware.

If I understood you correctly, you're saying old hardware can outperform new hardware, which doesn't seem right at all and if it really does, it is because of the end user and/or incompatibility.

chandler

Post by chandler » 28 Mar 2024, 12:12

FPSMaster wrote:

excuse me but can you help me set gpu/usb interrupt affinity?

also, what is msi mode? will it work if Ive got an asus motherboard ? (card is RTX 4070)

Slender

Post by Slender » 30 Mar 2024, 03:37

FPSMaster wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 11:43
ApexLeg wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 10:44
FPSMaster wrote:

But at the same time, these people NEVER tested their systems.

There is no logical explenation for why this would happen. The only thing could be, that they have some kind of compatibility issue. Maybe they used a incompatible ram kit with their CPU and mobo. Maybe they used a bad power supply. Maybe they used a bad CPU in combination with a high end GPU. Most of the stuff is user skill issue or incompatibility.

Of course there could also be some kind of driver issues, but that also mostly happens due to data corruption or a bad windows install, and not because of the hardware. Out of the box, windows does a pretty good job in finding the best drivers for your hardware.

If I understood you correctly, you're saying old hardware can outperform new hardware, which doesn't seem right at all and if it really does, it is because of the end user and/or incompatibility.
that is true, i have second pc 144hz (8700k 1060 z370) in same room and it gives me better feel of input then my z790 13700k 3070ti 360hz