Disabling Intel C-states fixes all my input and stutter problems, but CPU temps become unreasonable.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Sintek

Disabling Intel C-states fixes all my input and stutter problems, but CPU temps become unreasonable.

Post by Sintek » 20 Apr 2024, 22:32

Even with aggressive undervolting, my 14700K hits 100C in relatively undemanding games with C-states disabled. Enabling it drops max temps by ~50C. Cooling method makes no difference - I even removed the CPU from my custom loop and threw on a chunky air cooler with no change to temperatures.

Is there a middle ground between the two? I love that input lag is unnoticeable and all stuttering is gone, but OCD does not allow me to live with such high temperatures, whether or not they're "in spec."

MSI Z790 Tomahawk
32GB C30 6200 DDR5.
7900XTX
48" LG C2 OLED (game optimizer, PC mode, etc.)
Windows 10 Pro x64 (have dual booted Windows 11 and it's the same there)

MatrixQW

Re: Disabling Intel C-states fixes all my input and stutter problems, but CPU temps become unreasonable.

Post by MatrixQW » 21 Apr 2024, 03:23

You shouldn't undervolt anything, you will only make the PC unstable.
They do increase temps but not by that ammount to leave your cpu unusable.
A good case and cooler (not stock) are enough to keep decent temps.
I have them disabled in bios and also have gpu running at turbo boost speed permanently with no problems.

Use HWinfo64 and check CPU C-State Residency.
If it shows all cores C0 with 100% that is the problem and you disabled in Windows the "Processor idle disable" powerplan setting.
Cores should be in C1 and instantly go to C0 when executing code.

Sintek

Re: Disabling Intel C-states fixes all my input and stutter problems, but CPU temps become unreasonable.

Post by Sintek » 21 Apr 2024, 03:50

MatrixQW wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 03:23
You shouldn't undervolt anything, you will only make the PC unstable.
As long as we're giving unsolicited advice, never use a motherboard's auto voltage settings for vcore or the IMC (vccsa and vccio). The overvoltage leads to excess heat and potential silicon degradation if sustained. Gigabyte is the worst offender when it comes to overvolting - I've seen a Gigabyte board try to cook a 12700 with 1.55v (again, real vcore not vid) which is beyond absurd and why no one should trust everything to auto settings.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 21 Apr 2024, 05:55

Have you tried manually lowering core clock and disabling boost to get on top of temps?

Ragerlis

Post by Ragerlis » 21 Apr 2024, 08:10

Set power limits to intel default.