flood's input lag measurements

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
spacediver

Re: flood's input lag measurements

Post by spacediver » 15 Apr 2015, 10:31

flood wrote: as i make the stripes thicker (by scrolling in my program)...
This is probably irrelevant to your question, but what do you mean by scrolling? Wouldn't you just render two adjacent lines to make the line appear thicker?

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 15 Apr 2015, 10:58

also, what happens if the "line" is as thick as half the vertical height of the monitor?

flood

Post by flood » 15 Apr 2015, 14:10

spacediver wrote: This is probably irrelevant to your question, but what do you mean by scrolling? Wouldn't you just render two adjacent lines to make the line appear thicker?
my program draws a white band on a black background and when i scroll up the band becomes thicker
spacediver wrote:also, what happens if the "line" is as thick as half the vertical height of the monitor?
i think that's still in the intermediate range that is described by the second screenshot (T unstable)

if i increase it further, the phosphors don't decay rapidly enough during the dark interval for the light level to drop below the threshold
Sparky wrote:Vertical blanking interval? What refresh rate are you using?
why would vblank matter?
160hz. same thing happens at any refresh rate. x doesn't get bigger than (T-2500)

stirner

Post by stirner » 15 Apr 2015, 15:06

the phosphors don't decay rapidly enough during the dark interval for the light level to drop below the threshold
That is what I thought but then both measurements wouldn't just become unstable or plateau but completely useless. Like here where prolonged decay time leads ultimately to a transition undiscernible by your diode:

More lines could oversaturate your circuit, but decay should still be well within blank. So yeah, like you said, must be in your circuit components and I doubt anyone here can figure that out.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 15 Apr 2015, 15:31

Nevermind, I didn't see the "white line on black background" bit.

It looks to me like noise+extra phosphors decaying isn't enough to overcome the threshold alone, but it could be letting the PD trigger more quickly after hitting the top of your light bar. There needs to be >75µs of slack between a pure black and pure light transition though, otherwise enough extraneous light to knock T down to 6174 would be enough extraneous light to knock T all the way down to X.

as for why X stops increasing, maybe probe around your circult with a fully illuminated screen.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 22 Apr 2015, 22:32

I love how this thread started with content I could understand, and slowly evolved into me feeling like a retard.

You guys are awesome. Sorry I have nothing constructive to add.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

flood

Post by flood » 29 Apr 2015, 22:47

gunna take another stab at this this weekend... i'll probably go ask in some electronics forum for help
PoWn3d_0704 wrote:I love how this thread started with content I could understand, and slowly evolved into me feeling like a retard.

You guys are awesome. Sorry I have nothing constructive to add.
hm i should a blog explaining everything. and also to address the vast amounts of misinformation and other crap all over the internet

flood

Post by flood » 27 May 2015, 02:27

k just figured out the issue mentioned above. apparently i'm retarded and forgot that printing numbers through usb takes time.
anyway i got a scope and confirmed that the circuit works as expected.

yellow trace is the amplified photodiode signal
blue trace is what the teensy gets from doing a digital read of the signal

zooming in:
from this it looks like the latency related to the limited bandwidth of the amplifier is ~3us.

flood

Post by flood » 27 Nov 2016, 22:19

posting here for reference purposes:
flood wrote:Image
k so i made this circuit deadbug style, but non-inverting input on the first ad8655 is connected to a voltage divider (430kohm/560ohm) instead of ground. otherwise the circuit is unstable in complete darkness, i believe because the inputs aren't truly rail-to-rail

step response:

a lot of overshoot, coming from the first stage.
probably because the wizard didn't take into account the ad8655's input capacitance
adding a gimmick capacitor to the first stage removes the overshoot, for large signals at least. small signals still overshoot.

whatever good enough for now.

4V step response:
2V:
0.5V:
0.2V:

flood

Post by flood » 27 Nov 2016, 22:24

well that's convenient... new post on a new page.

response to a 1 pixel horizontal white line on a black background, on my crt:

top of screen

center of screen

bottom of screen

love2d script/code for drawing the 1 line (in case i delete everything in the future again):
http://pastebin.com/rjBC37Jm