CS:GO -- Does 2 milliseconds matter?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
flood

Re: CS:GO -- Does 2 milliseconds matter?

Post by flood » 04 Feb 2015, 14:34

msaa adds 0 input lag unless you're playing on a potato

harrwang38

Post by harrwang38 » 04 Feb 2015, 23:43

flood wrote:msaa adds 0 input lag unless you're playing on a potato
I don't, but I do believe AA adds input lag, no matter which one you use. I think almost every post processing effect adds some sort of input lag. At least this is the case for CS GO. Source engine is very weird. No one has actually bothered to test if AA or any post processing effect(sweetfx) adds input lag. But again I have tested all the settings with hours of playing and I can instantly feel that AA adds input lag whenever I put it on. It might not feel for you as everyone doesn't really pay attention to the smallest detail possible.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 05 Feb 2015, 01:24

Have you found anything that actually creates a significant amount of input latency?

Any basic things people can avoid to increase input latency?

I always hated when people would ask question like that but you seam too actually have the skills to test this sort of stuff :)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Feb 2015, 04:11

harrwang38 wrote:I don't, but I do believe AA adds input lag, no matter which one you use. I think almost every post processing effect adds some sort of input lag.
MSAA is not a post-processing effect ;) The input-lag caused by MSAA follows usual frame rendering time rules. Just like a higher resolution increases input lag due to less frame rate; for example going from 100FPS to 70FPS, input-lag is increased simply because frames need more time to render.

Post-processing AA (like FXAA) has a fixed latency added to the frame. MSAA does not. MSAA follows the normal frame time rules, like any other non-post proc graphical detail setting.

The end effect of that is that, if you enable MSAA and your frame rate doesn't drop, then there is no latency added by MSAA. An actual post-proc AA would add some latency even when the frame rate doesn't change.

In "heavy" games, the frame drop caused by MSAA causes the input lag. In CS:GO, you have so much FPS on good systems, that the frame drop you get from MSAA is negligible.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flood

Post by flood » 05 Feb 2015, 05:15

RealNC wrote: MSAA is not a post-processing effect ;) The input-lag caused by MSAA follows usual frame rendering time rules. Just like a higher resolution increases input lag due to less frame rate; for example going from 100FPS to 70FPS, input-lag is increased simply because frames need more time to render.

Post-processing AA (like FXAA) has a fixed latency added to the frame. MSAA does not. MSAA follows the normal frame time rules, like any other non-post proc graphical detail setting.

The end effect of that is that, if you enable MSAA and your frame rate doesn't drop, then there is no latency added by MSAA. An actual post-proc AA would add some latency even when the frame rate doesn't change.

In "heavy" games, the frame drop caused by MSAA causes the input lag. In CS:GO, you have so much FPS on good systems, that the frame drop you get from MSAA is negligible.
thanks for this post, next time anyone says something about msaa i'll just link this.

kimpaul

Post by kimpaul » 12 Feb 2015, 21:28

Not really

Blackeye

Post by Blackeye » 25 Feb 2015, 10:26

I think if 2 milliseconds really matter, then only in a perfect LAN-Enviroment.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 25 Feb 2015, 12:13

Blackeye wrote:I think if 2 milliseconds really matter, then only in a perfect LAN-Enviroment.
It isn't a question of whether 2 milliseconds matter, it's how often they matter, because latency is cumulative. Any time you have a race, there's a chance the 2ms difference pushes you over the threshold, but it does happen more frequently when the overall latency is low.