CSGO less threads[cores] less input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Eyalcsgo

CSGO less threads[cores] less input lag?

Post by Eyalcsgo » 17 Jan 2015, 04:40

so i been using the launcher command -threads 4 all this time, yes it gives me around the 280 fps but then i switched to -1threads 1 and it feels like less input lag[maybe placebo] and i get less fps to around 240 but its not really a problem ...
so it is placebo or not? =o

flood

Re: CSGO less threads[cores] less input lag?

Post by flood » 17 Jan 2015, 06:50

maybe, ill figure out soon enough but like most things in life it doesn't really matter

stirner

Post by stirner » 17 Jan 2015, 07:50

I liked that reply. Will keep an eye on your tests.

Anyway, multithreaded rendering must cause frametime variance in order to overcome inherent latency ("This is because multithreaded rendering has to synchronize with the GPU and render thread to avoid latency that can happen when the GPU or driver allows too many frames to be buffered." Jay Stelly, Valve). But according to their own statements, most multithreaded implementations in games are not coded with modern multicore processors in mind (CS:GO uses the more than a decade old Source engine) and are lacking for that reason.
The implementations probably are compromising between allowing certain pre-buffer ranges (latency) in order to achieve more consistent render timings (frametimes) and higher framerates.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 18 Jan 2015, 02:33

I did tests with multicore rendering and the increased FPS from multicore didn't decrease input lag. It didn't really add any input lag though, it pretty much just stayed the same.

Trip

Post by Trip » 18 Jan 2015, 11:49

Are you sure stating the game to use 1 thread in steam options disables multithreading. If it only changes affinity for the program it might still be using multithreading. Why? Well even single core processors can run multiple threads. I thought source games had a specific config option to disable multicore rendering.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Jan 2015, 14:09

Trip wrote:I thought source games had a specific config option to disable multicore rendering.
It does have that option. It's called "multicore rendering" in the video settings :mrgreen: The "-threads" option just controls the amount of threads used IF the "multicore rendering" option is enabled in-game.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flood

Post by flood » 18 Jan 2015, 22:36

honestly imo the source engine and csgo suck (as in technically) and nothing really matters as long as you get >200fps

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 20 Jan 2015, 13:06

flood wrote:honestly imo the source engine and csgo suck (as in technically) and nothing really matters as long as you get >200fps
I'm not sure about that. CSGO and also all previous CS games felt best to me. The controls feels immediate and responsive.

The other FPS games I played, CoD or Battlefield, you name it, feel like a boat. Even with v-sync at 60Hz enabled, CSGO feels great. Battlefield with v-sync... oh my god. I puked.

I don't know what it is they're doing in the CS games, but they are doing it right. Even other games that use the Source engine feel horrible. Like Insurgency or Fistful of frags. They feel sluggish as hell. CS: nope. Responsive like a dream.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flood

Post by flood » 23 Jan 2015, 17:23

idk i think quake and cs1.6 are way smoother than csgo
probably something to do with the fixed framerate

sega4ever

Post by sega4ever » 03 Feb 2015, 02:52

flood wrote:idk i think quake and cs1.6 are way smoother than csgo
probably something to do with the fixed framerate
Can't you just use the fps command to set a max frame rate?