Resolution/resolution scaling and input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Sausage party

Resolution/resolution scaling and input lag?

Post by Sausage party » 02 Sep 2015, 11:36

hi guys i was just wondering something it may seem stupid but anyway. In the black ops 3 beta that just finished resolution scaling made a huge difference to input lag, but how? at native 1440p there was huge input lag but halving the resolution sorted it pretty much. but wouldnt the native resolution be better then basically scaling down to 720p? was it the lack of optimization? if so then does optimization effect input lag on different resolutions? im just curious. i tired this on Bo2 800x600 vs 1440p capped at 142fps at 144hz and it feeels like there is a slight difference but its negotiable.

So im just wondering whats going on and why resolution scaling is effecting input lag, is it frame latency? the games engine?

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Resolution/resolution scaling and input lag?

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 05 Sep 2015, 08:49

seems like videocard driver scales.
try scale via monitor not videocard driver.

Falkentyne

Re: Resolution/resolution scaling and input lag?

Post by Falkentyne » 06 Sep 2015, 13:28

Sausage party wrote:hi guys i was just wondering something it may seem stupid but anyway. In the black ops 3 beta that just finished resolution scaling made a huge difference to input lag, but how? at native 1440p there was huge input lag but halving the resolution sorted it pretty much. but wouldnt the native resolution be better then basically scaling down to 720p? was it the lack of optimization? if so then does optimization effect input lag on different resolutions? im just curious. i tired this on Bo2 800x600 vs 1440p capped at 142fps at 144hz and it feeels like there is a slight difference but its negotiable.

So im just wondering whats going on and why resolution scaling is effecting input lag, is it frame latency? the games engine?
Are you sure you are getting the same framerates?
Because I'll tell you right now, Black Ops 2 at 1440p and NO Anti aliasing chugs and does NOT run at 144 fps all the time. In fact it often drops down to the 80s in places. And yes it felt more laggy at 2560x1440 because the FPS was significantly lower.

You know the increase in pixel size from just 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 is 77%, right? That's a pretty BIG difference in fillrate required....