Creators Update Game Mode reduces input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
lexlazootin

Re: Creators Update Game Mode reduces input lag

Post by lexlazootin » 22 Oct 2017, 22:19

Why don't you do it?

MordecaiW

Post by MordecaiW » 23 Oct 2017, 00:50

lexlazootin wrote:Why don't you do it?
I don't have the tools or know-how to perform such tests, sorry. That's why I'm asking.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 23 Oct 2017, 04:06

MordecaiW wrote:
I don't have the tools or know-how to perform such tests, sorry. That's why I'm asking.
I just don't think many people are willing to reinstall 2 operating systems to just get your results. it's a lot of time and a hassle. All you really need is a fast camera, a Iphone Slow-Mo will do just fine and bump your mouse with something and count the frames until the screen updates. It's not hard, it's just a bit of time.

MordecaiW

Post by MordecaiW » 23 Oct 2017, 19:28

lexlazootin wrote:
MordecaiW wrote:
I just don't think many people are willing to reinstall 2 operating systems to just get your results. it's a lot of time and a hassle. All you really need is a fast camera, a Iphone Slow-Mo will do just fine and bump your mouse with something and count the frames until the screen updates. It's not hard, it's just a bit of time.
Again, I don't own the necessary equipment to do this, and this board has enthusiasts who more likely do have that sort of thing, hence why I asked.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Oct 2017, 10:42

MordecaiW wrote:Again, I don't own the necessary equipment to do this, and this board has enthusiasts who more likely do have that sort of thing, hence why I asked.
Yes,
Some of us, do, but it's a labour-intensive test with little reward. Current priority is obtaining new equipment to continue testing our 240Hz and 480Hz displays.

Lexlazootin,
Sometimes tests are low priority for some of us but some other of us have some great zeal over it. It's a good question to ask, even if BlurBusters might not have time to test this (yet) while we're focussed on several things relating to 240Hz and 480Hz. In the past, we've seen some readers take up the idea of testing subtle things like these. Some readers simply clone a virtual machine onto a real hard disk, to swap between operating systems very quickly, so some readers have their rigs set up for rapid tests. Who knows?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MordecaiW

Post by MordecaiW » 24 Oct 2017, 11:55

It seems like a worthwhile test to me. That potential 4-5ms input lag reduction represents approximately the same benefit that a pc gamer would have by going from a 250hz mouse to a modern 'gaming' mouse that polls at 1000hz. Not huge, but significant.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Oct 2017, 18:20

On a related topic -- we are developing new lag tests that will make input lag testing easier/faster. When this happens, this will definitely fall into the "easy to test" sphere. Keep tuned during 2018.

For now, the easiest way to test this is the modified mouse (LED) + high speed camera (preferably 1000fps+).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 24 Oct 2017, 21:05

I didn't want for him to feel like it was a dumb question, just wanted to make sure that he knew that all he needed was a hi-fps camera that comes with a lot of smartphones nowdays, if none of us got around to it, he could simply do it himself.

It's some times better that way so that he can test the games and scenario that he wants to test.