CSGO feels like 60hz [Internet Latency Issues]

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
MCP

Re: CSGO feels like 60hz [Internet Latency Issues]

Post by MCP » 16 Feb 2020, 12:04

only in csgo ^^

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 04 Apr 2020, 22:01

problem: suppose you hosted a server and 1v1d your friends over your own server the ping would read 0-1 on your end and some number n for your friend/opponents ping.
theory as to why you would have hitreg issues on your own server is that the server you are hosting is still uploading information over the same last mile you play on so even tho you are 1ms to your own server the information your opponent recieves about your player model position would still be out of order/ delayed and thus he would still be given the advantage

Yagami

Post by Yagami » 14 Apr 2020, 17:21

Taking advantage of this post, I come to talk a little about the similar problem I am having.

Approximately 1 year ago, I started having a very strange problem in games like Battlefield 3 and 4. In the past 6 years, these were the games I played online.

The problem described by the OP started on my old PC and I thought it could be some hardware related problem.

My old PC:

i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition)
GA-Z77X-UD3H
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
1TB Samsung 850 EVO
750W Seasonic Focus+ Gold
ASUS VG258QR 165Hz

After months of formatting, configuring the router, I decided to purchase a new custom PC:

R7 3700X (Corsair H115i RGB Platinum)
ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL14
RX 5700 XT Nitro+
2x 1TB NVMe SSD Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
1200W EVGA P2 SuperNOVA Platinum
ASUS VG259Q 144Hz IPS

Surprisingly, the performance in the games mentioned above were similar, even with 300-500 fps. I can't explain it, because my English is limited. But the feeling I have is that I'm playing on a 60Hz monitor, even though I'm 100% sure that OS and all my games are set to 144Hz. Limiting the fps to 144 made it feel even less responsive. In short: It feels like crap.

I started getting killed behind the walls, horrible aim, accuracy ranging from 13%~17% (before the problem arose my accuracy varied between 22%~28% with assault rifles like AEK-971, ACE-23, M416, M16A4), dying easily by newbies on 1vs1, etc.

In addition, the feeling of playing was strange. The game's character seemed heavy, with slow movements. Sometimes when I pressed shift to run I felt a slight delay.

Unfortunately almost a year has been passed and I have not found a solution. I've formatted my new computer more than 20 times, I've switched to several versions of Windows 10 (the current version I'm using is 1903, but I already tried: 1607, 1703, 1803, 1809).

Before the problem arose, I was able to play normally on my old PC, although there were days when the game seemed more responsive.

There was even a time that I probably played the most incredible match in my entire life. I don't know if it has anything to do with my connection or the server, but I started playing from the beginning of the match and it was going incredibly well: my aim was perfect, the game felt very smooth... until that after a few minutes, in the same match, the game gradually worsened and I started to get killed by everyone with no reason.

I also have some games that I play exclusively the single player and all are working well on my new PC:

Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5 and Resident Evil 2 (all of them I can limit the fps to 142 and play with Freesync ON and the game feels extremely responsive).

On the other hand, GTA 5 and Need for Speed Heat the character feels heavier (I'm not sure if it's because they tried to make the games as realistic as possible).

I don't know exactly where this problem comes from. I have (1Gbps download) - (200Mbps upload) fibre connection in bridge mode on my ASUS RT-AC86U and the speeds are always stable. Even using my ISP's router connected directly to my PC the problem remains.

Here I leave some tests I did with PingPlotter application on the Battlefield 4 servers I play (unfortunately I don't know how to analyze if the information obtained can help in any way):

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Apr 2020, 17:46

Yagami wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 17:21
Approximately 1 year ago, I started having a very strange problem in games like Battlefield 3 and 4. In the past 6 years, these were the games I played online.
Question:

1. Are you always on hard-wired Ethernet? Not WiFi?
2. You only have this problem in online games?
3. Have you tried a different high performance gaming router? Gigabit connections overload some cheap routers during the heat of gaming. This data doesn't always show up in WireShark (unless you WireShark in the middle of a game). I see you've tested this router.
4. How many Internet Service Providers (ISP) have you tried? Do the same problem happen with all? FTTH helps, but a reference helps.
5. Have you tried the higher cost business ISP plans? Like the business FTTH plan ?
6. Have you tried temporarily unplugging everything and disabling WiFi (FTTH with only the PC, nothing else, no family, no roommates) -- this is the "no load test".

In some countries, I have heard that paying 5 times more for the same Internet speed sometimes fixes the problem (e.g. someone paying $200/month business plan for home Internet). It doesn't always fix things. Sometimes you are SOL. The problem is packet jitter. Jitter of even just half a refresh cycle usually makes a game feel much worse than the refresh rate. 60Hz = 16.7ms. 120Hz = 8.3ms. 144Hz = 6.9ms. Internet latency jitter is easier to feel at higher refresh rates.

Also, handicapping algorithms (to re-level LPB with laggy players) can go wildly out of whack with weird ping latency, creating very distorted and asymmetric auto-handicapping behaviours built into netcode in many games. So you get the worst-of-all-worlds effect with certain latency behaviors.

Occasionally, this is a "burn-money-out-of-necessity" endeavour -- install 3 or 4 ISPs -- and test them all. Upgrade some of them temporarily to the business plan. Etc. Sometimes people even keep 2 ISPs as redundancy, and use whatever's lowest-ping-jitter to different servers, since ISP #1 is faster to one gaming server, and ISP #2 is faster to a different gaming server.

Seeing you're already FTTH, do you have access to nearby gaming VPNs only two or three ping hops away? You could attempt to subscribe to that -- and test competitive games. You may observe lower ping jitter than directly connecting to game servers without a local gaming VPN.

I know people who buy two FTTHs -- one just for the gaming computer, and one for the rest of the home (for sharing, WiFi, streaming, etc).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

acreal

Post by acreal » 21 Apr 2020, 07:52

Hi all,
Finally I found the topic that is really going deep into the problem which is hitreg/choppiness/60hz like/desync. I experience it for almost 1 year and I am already losing hope, that it can be fixed. I am playing on XL2546@240hz with high fps and every anomaly can be easily visible. I simply can't do one-taps, I am spraying and praying and I feel like I am shifted back in everything what is happening on server. I've contacted with my ISP many times and they are clueless, because test shows good results and proper network saturation. They will not send any technicans because "we may incur the costs for no reason". It's completely common that ISPs doesn't care about growing community of gamers as long as they can load youtube or amazon.

Between posts I found something about interleaved depth and fastpath. However I don't have DSL connection but ordinary ethernet cable I would like to know if there could be something adequate to these settings that can improve my gaming experience? I know that there is something about UDP packets but I don't know what to ask about my ISP.

Yagami

Post by Yagami » 26 Apr 2020, 18:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 17:46
Yagami wrote:
Question:

3. Have you tried a different high performance gaming router? Gigabit connections overload some cheap routers during the heat of gaming. This data doesn't always show up in WireShark (unless you WireShark in the middle of a game). I see you've tested this router.
4. How many Internet Service Providers (ISP) have you tried? Do the same problem happen with all? FTTH helps, but a reference helps.
5. Have you tried the higher cost business ISP plans? Like the business FTTH plan ?
6. Have you tried temporarily unplugging everything and disabling WiFi (FTTH with only the PC, nothing else, no family, no roommates) -- this is the "no load test".
1. Yes. I only play on wired connection, and I am absolutely sure the cables are in good condition, since I was forced to buy them recently because of this particular problem.

2. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. But I can guarantee that the single player games that I have are running very well.

3. In addition to the ASUS RT-AC86U, I also have an ASUS RT-AC88U that is being used as an AiMesh node to boost Wi-Fi signal. I've also used it as the main router (in bridge) and it doesn't make any difference. Yesterday I just used the ISP's router connected directly to my PC, but it didn't make much difference. I activated UPNP and it made the games a little bit more responsive, but the feeling that something is wrong still exists. In the past, when I didn't have this problem, the games ran perfectly when I used the ISP's router or the ASUS RT-AC88U in bridge.

4. Two of four. In my country there are only four ISPs, and the one that is considered to be the best for gaming I haven't tried yet. This problem is new to me, it never happened in the past.

5. No. Unfortunately I am on a contract with my ISP until the end of 2021, which makes it impossible for me to test a different plan from a different ISP. Incredible as it may seem, in my country they only allow one ISP per home.

6. Yes, I've tried to fully reset the router and play the games that I have been having problems with during the night connected directly to the ISP's router with only UPNP enabled. And as I said earlier: I activated UPNP and it made the games a little bit more responsive, but the feeling that something is wrong still exists. If I use the router with the default settings (only WiFi disabled), the gameplay gets worse.

I just don't know how to explain this to my ISP. As you can see from the PingPlotter graph, I have a massive percentage of packet loss on my router, I just don't know if it's normal. If I am not in error, in the past I did not have these problems.

About the VPN, I have tried WTFast and it does improve my hitreg a little bit, but the gameplay remains heavy, with desync and terrible accuracy. I am basically getting destroyed by newbies.

pwn

Post by pwn » 27 Apr 2020, 09:10

Yagami wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 18:31

I just don't know how to explain this to my ISP. As you can see from the PingPlotter graph, I have a massive percentage of packet loss on my router, I just don't know if it's normal. If I am not in error, in the past I did not have these problems.
Ping commands use ICMP (protocol, games use UDP, TCP)
Nodes between the target and the parent - may not respond to requests. In general, this is a very dubious way to diagnose an Internet connection.

for analysis I can recommend iperf

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 27 Apr 2020, 23:17

Yagami wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 18:31
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 17:46
Yagami wrote:
Question:

1. Yes. I only play on wired connection, and I am absolutely sure the cables are in good condition, since I was forced to buy them recently because of this particular problem.

2. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. But I can guarantee that the single player games that I have are running very well.

3. In addition to the ASUS RT-AC86U, I also have an ASUS RT-AC88U that is being used as an AiMesh node to boost Wi-Fi signal. I've also used it as the main router (in bridge) and it doesn't make any difference. Yesterday I just used the ISP's router connected directly to my PC, but it didn't make much difference. I activated UPNP and it made the games a little bit more responsive, but the feeling that something is wrong still exists. In the past, when I didn't have this problem, the games ran perfectly when I used the ISP's router or the ASUS RT-AC88U in bridge.

4. Two of four. In my country there are only four ISPs, and the one that is considered to be the best for gaming I haven't tried yet. This problem is new to me, it never happened in the past.

5. No. Unfortunately I am on a contract with my ISP until the end of 2021, which makes it impossible for me to test a different plan from a different ISP. Incredible as it may seem, in my country they only allow one ISP per home.

6. Yes, I've tried to fully reset the router and play the games that I have been having problems with during the night connected directly to the ISP's router with only UPNP enabled. And as I said earlier: I activated UPNP and it made the games a little bit more responsive, but the feeling that something is wrong still exists. If I use the router with the default settings (only WiFi disabled), the gameplay gets worse.

About the VPN, I have tried WTFast and it does improve my hitreg a little bit, but the gameplay remains heavy, with desync and terrible accuracy. I am basically getting destroyed by newbies.
can you pay to get out of your contract to try the better isp and also are you sure this is a completely different isp (different type of connection eg. dsl, fiber or cable)

TTT

Post by TTT » 01 May 2020, 19:14

Yagami wrote:
Taking advantage of this post, I come to talk a little about the similar problem I am having.

The problem described by the OP started on my old PC and I thought it could be some hardware related problem.

My old PC:

i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition)
GA-Z77X-UD3H
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
1TB Samsung 850 EVO
750W Seasonic Focus+ Gold
ASUS VG258QR 165Hz

After months of formatting, configuring the router, I decided to purchase a new custom PC:

R7 3700X (Corsair H115i RGB Platinum)
ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL14
RX 5700 XT Nitro+
2x 1TB NVMe SSD Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
1200W EVGA P2 SuperNOVA Platinum
ASUS VG259Q 144Hz IPS

Surprisingly, the performance in the games mentioned above were similar, even with 300-500 fps. I can't explain it, because my English is limited. But the feeling I have is that I'm playing on a 60Hz monitor, even though I'm 100% sure that OS and all my games are set to 144Hz. Limiting the fps to 144 made it feel even less responsive. In short: It feels like crap.

I started getting killed behind the walls, horrible aim, accuracy ranging from 13%~17% (before the problem arose my accuracy varied between 22%~28% with assault rifles like AEK-971, ACE-23, M416, M16A4), dying easily by newbies on 1vs1, etc.

In addition, the feeling of playing was strange. The game's character seemed heavy, with slow movements. Sometimes when I pressed shift to run I felt a slight delay.

Unfortunately almost a year has been passed and I have not found a solution. I've formatted my new computer more than 20 times, I've switched to several versions of Windows 10 (the current version I'm using is 1903, but I already tried: 1607, 1703, 1803, 1809).

Before the problem arose, I was able to play normally on my old PC, although there were days when the game seemed more responsive.

There was even a time that I probably played the most incredible match in my entire life. I don't know if it has anything to do with my connection or the server, but I started playing from the beginning of the match and it was going incredibly well: my aim was perfect, the game felt very smooth... until that after a few minutes, in the same match, the game gradually worsened and I started to get killed by everyone with no reason.

I also have some games that I play exclusively the single player and all are working well on my new PC:

Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5 and Resident Evil 2 (all of them I can limit the fps to 142 and play with Freesync ON and the game feels extremely responsive).

On the other hand, GTA 5 and Need for Speed Heat the character feels heavier (I'm not sure if it's because they tried to make the games as realistic as possible).

I don't know exactly where this problem comes from. I have (1Gbps download) - (200Mbps upload) fibre connection in bridge mode on my ASUS RT-AC86U and the speeds are always stable. Even using my ISP's router connected directly to my PC the problem remains.

Here I leave some tests I did with PingPlotter application on the Battlefield 4 servers I play (unfortunately I don't know how to analyze if the information obtained can help in any way):

That Pingplotter is showing you are getting 50% packetloss to your router (Hop 1) isn't it?

I have also had these problems for a long time and thinking it has to be internet now.

pwn

Post by pwn » 02 May 2020, 07:30

omg
Stop misleading people!
Ping commands use ICMP (protocol, games use UDP, TCP)
Nodes between the target and the parent - may not respond to requests. In general, this is a very dubious way to diagnose an Internet connection.