CSGO feels like 60hz [Internet Latency Issues]

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
4SR

Re: CSGO feels like 60hz [Internet Latency Issues]

Post by 4SR » 11 Feb 2021, 21:38

Its Protocol named TCP. It has been around forever. It knows what its doing. Its super robuts. Its build that way.
Using TCP is like watching youtube, it buffers video ahead of time and double checks everything.

Gaming packets will use protocol UDP. It also been around forever. Its build on priority of fastest delivery. Not any kind of robustness.
Using UDP is like talking on Skype. Real-time delivery. If packet didn't arrive on time it is skipped and u get a framedrop & robo-voice.

Only usefull information you can obtain is under "Destination adress". The one which you see pop up most often when you are in game is your server. It should look something like this 123.123.123.123.

You literally need degree in network engineering to even begin understanding wireshark. And at the end of the day you will only be able to determine if that is what causing your issue. You will not be able to change anything using wireshark.

There is also another solution besides VPNs. If you have a friend that lives near you and experiences no such issues you could set up a private VPN tunnel to his router. This requires some networking knowledge.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 11 Feb 2021, 22:49

4SR wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 20:52

This is almost 100% of time congestion on one of the switches en route to the server.

Thats pretty much whole buisness model of gaming VPNs, they OVERPAY (compared to what ISPs would do) for the shortest and least congested routes between popular datacenters. There is still an issue of routing from your PC through ISP to the point of entry to the gaming VPNs tunnel.

And by gaming VPN i mean something like www.wtfast.com which specializes on games. Not the stuff that comes up when u google "gaming VPN". If VPN puts emphasis on bandwidth in its advertising it is likely not the best one for games.

in my case, the issue has nothing to do with internet, the phenomenon occurs even in offline games / on desktop / BIOS even.

I can instantly tell from how mouse feel on desktop how it will feel in game too, and with network cable unplugged same thing happens, also some nights of the month it will feel like shit no matter what time of the day..

anyway here in Sweden we have great internet infrastructure, vastly overdimensioned for this countries needs as far as I understand, ping/packetloss/speedtest is always flawless as well for me, but like I said the issue happens offline too for me so.. even in BIOS :S

for some people it might be network congestion/network related, but that is so easy to test, just play offline vs bots in the same game or something and compare, if it feels good offline but feels bad online at that moment? = network problem.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 11 Feb 2021, 23:09

nuggify wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 16:09

Thank you. Finally someone who gets it. You have the exact same issue as me from your description, although I know symptoms for some people with this vary, yours sound exactly like mine. Getting better at night etc. And that is very useful about the UDP tester in Fortnite, for the folks that are convinced its related to network. Yes it is electrical for sure, however some things just do not make logical sense. For instance if I make a new account it works fairly well for awhile. This is inexplicable. Hopefully one day someone will figure it out.

its so messed up ! there is nothing worse that can happen to a gamer almost than this issue.. for me i'm pretty sure the problem started after a couple of power outages 2 years back or so, hard to be exact but something like that..

just wanted to show users here the fortnite thing and how epic games came up with a serverside solution to arrange udp packets correctly no matter what order they are sent in from the client/user,

so now at least with fortnite, people can test there to confirm if they have udp issues..

(feels good always in fortnite but bad in other games? then its possible the ISP is not handling udp packets correctly, etc)

but yeah, in my and your case nuggify its not network related, for other users it maybe is, but its sooo easy to rule out network issues, just test offline and then test online and compare, nothing more to it..

4SR

Post by 4SR » 11 Feb 2021, 23:14

alexander1986 wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 23:09

its so messed up ! there is nothing worse that can happen to a gamer almost than this issue.. for me i'm pretty sure the problem started after a couple of power outages 2 years back or so, hard to be exact but something like that..

just wanted to show users here the fortnite thing and how epic games came up with a serverside solution to arrange udp packets correctly no matter what order they are sent in from the client/user,

so now at least with fortnite, people can test there to confirm if they have udp issues..

(feels good always in fortnite but bad in other games? then its possible the ISP is not handling udp packets correctly, etc)

but yeah, in my and your case nuggify its not network related, for other users it maybe is, but its sooo easy to rule out network issues, just test offline and then test online and compare, nothing more to it..
Funny you mentioned power outage. Because the other thing that changes when lots of people are home is voltage drops (more likely in an apartment building). Also more likely in cold weather.

Does it happen with laptop disconnected from the grid? Or desktop connected to uninterruptible power supply and disconnected from the grid?

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 12 Feb 2021, 00:12

4SR wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 23:14

Funny you mentioned power outage. Because the other thing that changes when lots of people are home is voltage drops (more likely in an apartment building). Also more likely in cold weather.

Does it happen with laptop disconnected from the grid? Or desktop connected to uninterruptible power supply and disconnected from the grid?
Well, here comes some more info xd sorry in advance for the long post ! lol

I don't have a laptop only desktop pc, and don't have an UPS either unfortunately, I could test that easily but I don't really need to, because I already did what I could to exclude issue being in the hardware/pc/monitor itself on my side, i'm sure that laptop on battery would feel great, idk about UPS if it would fix the problem,

but yeah all the symptoms and all testing I already done the past 2 years (started with replacing every single hardware component and cable including monitor etc, then have taken the new hardware to other locations/friends to test, there it works flawless and normal as it should with a 100% constant mouse feeling that is identical no matter what time of day it is etc, only talking about offline gaming/desktop mouse feeling now, when it feels bad on desktop it will for sure feel bad in online game too anyway so..)

what you said about voltage dropping and cold weather, is possible, but even on the summer the phenomenon occurs, :S could still perhaps be voltage-drop related or at least maybe it is part of the problem, in combination with some form of RFI/EMI/THD problems coming either from neighbours or power provider equipment in my building or similar, I never measured voltage or talked to electricians about it, I really should have but eh, i'm far less competitive gamer these days and the time I have free to spend to play some games is usually around/after midnight anyway, which in most days of the week will feel acceptable / great for me,

about cold weather, right now for example its -11 celsius outside and 73% humidity and the time is 06:09 CET here, mouse feels perfect at desktop so I know it will feel perfect in games too in my case, but this doesnt really mean anything to me because I can't control these factors anyway like weather/humidity/overall power usage in my area..

also will be moving from here this year and I mentioned earlier also I tested my hardware at friends places on other locations, feels flawless there 24/7 and i'm just talking about offline here not even online gaming, so at this point i'm just accepting the problem until I move the hell out of here xd

also from what I understand a good powersupply can handle voltage drops and even if it did not, the symptoms should not be random input delay I think? more like crashes or freezes ?

I really think its like what the Chief (admin of this site) said in many of the threads about this issue, that it likely is some sort of interference on the power which leads to the numerous error-correcting systems in modern PCs to act strange and delayed, nanoseconds turn into milliseconds of lag etc from the error corrections, I just wonder if this could be logged somehow or analyzed/measured...or if its on such a low hardware level that the operating system is not even aware of whats going on and its just on the motherboard chipsets perhaps? (kind of talking out of my ass here and just speculating lol)

but at least Chief says its not out of the possible reality at all, and has confirmed it himself in some scenarios from what I understand,

"Chief Blur Busters wrote:

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ENGINEERS / Ph.D's
While most of the time, this is a wild goose to red herrings, and EMI is definitely not the cause of most computer lag problems -- there are actual cases of EMI creating human-perceptible latencies because of the large amounts of error-detect-and-retransmit mechanisms inside NEWER computers. Even a modern PCI Express bus and a DisplayPort cable are both packet-data systems nowadays with error-detect and retransmit = LAG instead of CRASH! Death by a million nanoseconds. Please read this engineer post:

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopi ... 100#p57956"

(copied this from the first page/post in this thread -> https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=6498)

its fascinating phenomenon to me anyway, I just hope it will not become a more and more common problem for people in future, and for example when I move out of here, the person that moves in, if that person is a gamer its gonna suck for him/her bigtime, lol... its fucked up !

remember reading here also some user had frametime spikes occuring in exact regular intervals and had tried everything replaced everything etc, and in the end it was his solar panels that was sending some info or status update over his powerlines in the home and everytime they did that, he got massive frametime spikes / freezes in games :D

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 23 Mar 2021, 15:52

Everyone, goo call youre ISP and order a "line reset" soo the DLM System getting resetet and youre are able to play for a few hours without delay. i dont know why but it works. goo check it out, after i did it, my hitreg was on point and i was dominating everything. gooo annoy the shit out of your ISP, goo and call them every day and order its. Its not the solution but atleast a temp solution

djoni

Post by djoni » 24 Mar 2021, 04:45

blackmagic wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 03:28
Unreazz wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:52
Everyone, goo call youre ISP and order a "line reset" soo the DLM System getting resetet and youre are able to play for a few hours without delay. i dont know why but it works. goo check it out, after i did it, my hitreg was on point and i was dominating everything. gooo annoy the shit out of your ISP, goo and call them every day and order its. Its not the solution but atleast a temp solution
i still don't believe that isp and network can cause such desync, weird recoils, sprays and more...

in my case i had fastpath and good stable low latency but this issue that i have just appeared one day and stil exist even when i already try other isp and mobile or lte and even a isp in another apartment...

i somehow have this feel that whatever this shiit is...
it somehow affects the CPU and causes something like speedhack in games...

in cs 1.6 offline i can see that and feel this all better and something really off about how models move and pick on me...i die to them on low level and just can't hit them sometimes per one tap...

everything just feels like someone turned speedhack ON here and even in newer games i can feel same speedhack but it's just some little different and not that hard noticeable like in cs 1.6...

i still can't find answer how that is possible and the causes...i tried notebook, 3 different cpu's and everywhere same weird feeling of speedhack and broken unstable movements...

i know this all sounds like some crazy shiit but that what it is and i observe this already for long time but that 99% what causes bad hitreg and low performance in online...

just need to figure out how this visual speed up/downs are possible and where they come from...

someone know tools how i can test if the games run at normal supposed timers/speed ?
Can you post photos of your launch options, resolution in the game and in your graphics card software?

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 18 May 2021, 15:30

Last edited by Eonds on 15 Sep 2021, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 18 May 2021, 18:13

Eonds wrote:
18 May 2021, 15:30
I'm not a expert in system tweaking but i can tell you disabling any timers in device manger (System Timer, & HPET) made my input feel like it's getting processed faster than normal. It's important to note that i also play on windows 7 with an extremely tweaked OS, i run nothing but the literal bare minimum when playing. Rule of thumb: Less programs/services/driver means your CPU gets interrupted less which = faster inputs. Make sure your keyboard isn't connected to the same usb controller as your mouse. Assign 1 core to each usb controller (if u have a lot of cores). Just be careful when doing tweaking. It's all experimenting and doing benchmarks/general tests. At the end of the day a 360hz monitor will fill that eye to hand to screen delay you're "feeling". That disconnection will be mostly fixed with a 360hz monitor, 8k polling rate mouse with optical switches and a tweaked OS.
Those two ones ? https://i.imgur.com/AuuS2a1.png translated it means Systemtimegive and System CMOS/realtimeclock

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 21 May 2021, 13:43

I'm ready to go back to dial-up for gaming, lol