CSGO feels like 60hz [Internet Latency Issues]

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
n1zoo

Re: CSGO feels like 60hz [Internet Latency Issues]

Post by n1zoo » 05 May 2020, 12:31

this is literally unfixable. suffering from this 5~ years and still can't find fix. cs hitreg is so bad, whole game feels like driving bus car. idk what to do lol.. :|

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 May 2020, 15:30

pwn wrote:
02 May 2020, 07:30
Ping commands use ICMP (protocol, games use UDP, TCP)
Nodes between the target and the parent - may not respond to requests. In general, this is a very dubious way to diagnose an Internet connection.
This is true. It's important to disambiguate the "ping command" with the "ping terminology" (since some people use it interchangeably -- i.e. "TCP ping", "UDP ping" and "ICMP ping"), as a generic word for round-trip latency, as in ping-pong ball parlance. But yes, the long--standard UNIX-like ping command is ICMP based, and can give a wild goose chase.

Sometimes terminologically some people use "ping" as a synonym for "roundtrip latency", but using terminology correctly is important here. Even I am sometimes guilty of terminology/semantics, and gladly will clarify terminology whenever I realize it happens.

Also, it's useful to test loaded versus unloaded latency / jitter, and of a similar protocol (and sustained bandwidth) to what the game is using (lest some network neutrality sheninigians is occuring unbeknownst to knowledge). That is more accurate than using good-old-fashioned ICMP ping.

Loaded latency jitter can be really bad, especially when WiFi and overloaded cable Internet is involved. FTTH is much lower jitter.

Even having just a mere 5ms jitter during loaded latency can screw around noticeably in a competitive game -- 5ms jitter is more than the halftime of a single tick of a 128 tick server. 5ms jitter is more than one 240Hz refresh cycle (4.16ms). 5ms is worse jitter than a LAN game. Unloaded latency jitter (1ms or less) can be low then you try loading the connection (over the same Internet path), and the jitter goes bad, sometimes worse than 10ms. Ouch.

At these small latency scales one may not "feel it" directly but you definitely notice when your scoring advantage appears/disappears because of it -- e.g. imagine everyone having similiar reaction times (e.g. 200ms versus 200ms) and the jittering/latencies start rocking the see-saw of a table into your favour/disfavour, and the latency goes unpredictable where one finds you can't really score well at all, and hitreg going wonky.

Mathematically, think about it -- with high speed moving, say, 2000 pixels/sec, 5ms volatility means a range of 10 pixel-offsets in motion shown on the remote screen versus your screen. Miss instead of a hit when sniping. Netcode in games try to compensate in so many ways, in a continual playing-field-levelling attempt, but there's no universal formula to fairly auto-compensate for jitter, especially asymmetric jitter situations (Where one party has more erratic latency jitter than the other party).

There are points where it is bad enough that one prefers a higher latency but jitterless Internet connection (lower volatility in latency) -- over a lower average latency but very jittery Internet connection (higher volatility in latency). Netcode is better at compensating for latency disadvantage in some games when jitter is low (stable latency).

And that doesn't yet include a huge universe of netcode stuff. Battle(non)sense YouTube channel is full of great content about that.

It's a tough troubleshoot.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 May 2020, 15:35

n1zoo wrote:
05 May 2020, 12:31
this is literally unfixable. suffering from this 5~ years and still can't find fix. cs hitreg is so bad, whole game feels like driving bus car. idk what to do lol.. :|
What about a separate 2nd Internet connection (Business plan, not residential) just for your gaming PC? Sometimes that helps, isolate the network for your competitive gameplay. Costs quite a bit, but that's what some professional gamers do -- a dedicated connection just for the gaming PC, completely separate of the streaming/downloading/WiFi/etc.

At extremes, I've even heard of two FTTH connections, one for the whole house, and one for the gaming PC. It's a brute force solution though even that sometimes fails (bad ISPs, bad Internet infrastructure). Serious competitive gamers that play professionally have often gone this route to business-it (non-residential connection for the gaming PC) + fiber-it (FTTH where possible) + isolate-it (separate 2nd connection) as a brute-force way to get the lowest possible latency AND latency jitter, without moving to a new location.

Even that doesn't always help, and it is a monetary risk for something that may or may not work.

Lower-lying apple is subscribe to a gaming VPN and aggressive QoS on a good router to 100% prioritize that VPN traffic. Then the gaming VPN will (hopefully) be lower-jitter the rest of the way to the servers. Even that doesn't always solve latency-jitter problems on a loaded connection.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 06 May 2020, 21:35

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 May 2020, 15:35
n1zoo wrote:
05 May 2020, 12:31
What about a separate 2nd Internet connection (Business plan, not residential) just for your gaming PC? Sometimes that helps, isolate the network for your competitive gameplay. Costs quite a bit, but that's what some professional gamers do -- a dedicated connection just for the gaming PC, completely separate of the streaming/downloading/WiFi/etc.
i would like to add to this make sure if you do end up getting a business plan to look into if you have control over switch/router configurations and ask for lower packet queing aswell as lower/no artificial delays

pwn

Post by pwn » 08 May 2020, 16:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSfUdMgaNyQ

on 1.16 min
cs go launches Ultra HD 1080 1920x1080 mode by default

1.39 min
delete all permissions

After these actions, the monitor should not turn off when the game starts
in the startup parameters, you need to delete the -freq settings

\\\\\

pwn

Post by pwn » 09 May 2020, 04:47

I also have the assumption that this is somehow related to EDID. Windows somehow reads this information incorrectly and for example does not determine how the monitor should be in the device manager.

katis

Post by katis » 03 Jun 2020, 18:18

Interesting topic. I have had these kind of problems @ cs for years. Game feels heavy & delayed, recoil is odd, enemies appear at your screen, following enemy movement while shooting is next to impossible, you lose aim duels to everyone (close combat feels completely impossible) and one taps cant be landed. Most notable is still that deagle is completely useless. It just wont hit.

Background check: played cs since 99 and back then prolevel.

Few weeks ago i made a new account since several different posts i found seemd to point same direction. And boy was it great. Game was fun, easy, smooth. It workd like a dream for better 120h. Both faceit and mm.

And today familiar problems started, just after i played around an hour at brutal csdm.

I deletet and reinstalled cs after that, problems persist.

So my question is this just some strange bad luck or could community servers actually do something like this permanently?

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 03 Jun 2020, 18:50

katis wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 18:18
Interesting topic. I have had these kind of problems @ cs for years. Game feels heavy & delayed, recoil is odd, enemies appear at your screen, following enemy movement while shooting is next to impossible, you lose aim duels to everyone (close combat feels completely impossible) and one taps cant be landed. Most notable is still that deagle is completely useless. It just wont hit.

Background check: played cs since 99 and back then prolevel.

Few weeks ago i made a new account since several different posts i found seemd to point same direction. And boy was it great. Game was fun, easy, smooth. It workd like a dream for better 120h. Both faceit and mm.

And today familiar problems started, just after i played around an hour at brutal csdm.

I deletet and reinstalled cs after that, problems persist.

So my question is this just some strange bad luck or could community servers actually do something like this permanently?
I know that it sounds ridiculous but I had exactly the same feeling. I created new steam account and game was working flawlessly. It may sound absurd, but can we rule out theory, that somebody really want us to think, that our hardware is working like crap? Over the internet you can read so many posts that users are replacing every component just to find out what is causing a problem (including me of course). Corporations are profit-oriented and they use various tricks to manipulate consumers. It may sound like I have a foil hat on my head but maybe there is a grain of truth in it? Who knows...

In 1890 Shelby Electric Company created electric bulb that works until today and how does it look now?

There are evidences that new accounts have more fps even with same cfg. How for god sake is it even possible? Players are complaining on 64 tick but for me 64 works much better than 128 on faceit where I simply can't aim, one tap or quickly peek somebody. CS:GO developers are insane and focusing on profits rather than fixing this game. You have to make a lot of noise on reddit to make them finally listen to the players, just like it was with hitboxes (head model was not matching with the hitbox) or one-shoot-revolver.

PS. that post is interesting, maybe it's trolling, maybe not, yours judgment: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensiv ... _big_help/
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensiv ... _accounts/

schizobeyondpills

Post by schizobeyondpills » 22 Jun 2020, 23:57

Yagami wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 17:21
Taking advantage of this post, I come to talk a little about the similar problem I am having.

Approximately 1 year ago, I started having a very strange problem in games like Battlefield 3 and 4. In the past 6 years, these were the games I played online.

The problem described by the OP started on my old PC and I thought it could be some hardware related problem.

My old PC:

i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition)
GA-Z77X-UD3H
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
1TB Samsung 850 EVO
750W Seasonic Focus+ Gold
ASUS VG258QR 165Hz

After months of formatting, configuring the router, I decided to purchase a new custom PC:

R7 3700X (Corsair H115i RGB Platinum)
ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL14
RX 5700 XT Nitro+
2x 1TB NVMe SSD Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
1200W EVGA P2 SuperNOVA Platinum
ASUS VG259Q 144Hz IPS

Surprisingly, the performance in the games mentioned above were similar, even with 300-500 fps. I can't explain it, because my English is limited. But the feeling I have is that I'm playing on a 60Hz monitor, even though I'm 100% sure that OS and all my games are set to 144Hz. Limiting the fps to 144 made it feel even less responsive. In short: It feels like crap.

I started getting killed behind the walls, horrible aim, accuracy ranging from 13%~17% (before the problem arose my accuracy varied between 22%~28% with assault rifles like AEK-971, ACE-23, M416, M16A4), dying easily by newbies on 1vs1, etc.

In addition, the feeling of playing was strange. The game's character seemed heavy, with slow movements. Sometimes when I pressed shift to run I felt a slight delay.

Unfortunately almost a year has been passed and I have not found a solution. I've formatted my new computer more than 20 times, I've switched to several versions of Windows 10 (the current version I'm using is 1903, but I already tried: 1607, 1703, 1803, 1809).

Before the problem arose, I was able to play normally on my old PC, although there were days when the game seemed more responsive.

There was even a time that I probably played the most incredible match in my entire life. I don't know if it has anything to do with my connection or the server, but I started playing from the beginning of the match and it was going incredibly well: my aim was perfect, the game felt very smooth... until that after a few minutes, in the same match, the game gradually worsened and I started to get killed by everyone with no reason.

I also have some games that I play exclusively the single player and all are working well on my new PC:

Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5 and Resident Evil 2 (all of them I can limit the fps to 142 and play with Freesync ON and the game feels extremely responsive).

On the other hand, GTA 5 and Need for Speed Heat the character feels heavier (I'm not sure if it's because they tried to make the games as realistic as possible).

I don't know exactly where this problem comes from. I have (1Gbps download) - (200Mbps upload) fibre connection in bridge mode on my ASUS RT-AC86U and the speeds are always stable. Even using my ISP's router connected directly to my PC the problem remains.

Here I leave some tests I did with PingPlotter application on the Battlefield 4 servers I play (unfortunately I don't know how to analyze if the information obtained can help in any way):

The problem is most likey due to upgrading from intel CPU which have 2x less latency in core x core as well as 3x or more lower RAM latency into AMD.

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 23 Jun 2020, 15:56

schizobeyondpills wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 23:57
Yagami wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 17:21
Taking advantage of this post, I come to talk a little about the similar problem I am having.

Approximately 1 year ago, I started having a very strange problem in games like Battlefield 3 and 4. In the past 6 years, these were the games I played online.

The problem described by the OP started on my old PC and I thought it could be some hardware related problem.

My old PC:

i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition)
GA-Z77X-UD3H
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
1TB Samsung 850 EVO
750W Seasonic Focus+ Gold
ASUS VG258QR 165Hz

After months of formatting, configuring the router, I decided to purchase a new custom PC:

R7 3700X (Corsair H115i RGB Platinum)
ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL14
RX 5700 XT Nitro+
2x 1TB NVMe SSD Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
1200W EVGA P2 SuperNOVA Platinum
ASUS VG259Q 144Hz IPS

Surprisingly, the performance in the games mentioned above were similar, even with 300-500 fps. I can't explain it, because my English is limited. But the feeling I have is that I'm playing on a 60Hz monitor, even though I'm 100% sure that OS and all my games are set to 144Hz. Limiting the fps to 144 made it feel even less responsive. In short: It feels like crap.

I started getting killed behind the walls, horrible aim, accuracy ranging from 13%~17% (before the problem arose my accuracy varied between 22%~28% with assault rifles like AEK-971, ACE-23, M416, M16A4), dying easily by newbies on 1vs1, etc.

In addition, the feeling of playing was strange. The game's character seemed heavy, with slow movements. Sometimes when I pressed shift to run I felt a slight delay.

Unfortunately almost a year has been passed and I have not found a solution. I've formatted my new computer more than 20 times, I've switched to several versions of Windows 10 (the current version I'm using is 1903, but I already tried: 1607, 1703, 1803, 1809).

Before the problem arose, I was able to play normally on my old PC, although there were days when the game seemed more responsive.

There was even a time that I probably played the most incredible match in my entire life. I don't know if it has anything to do with my connection or the server, but I started playing from the beginning of the match and it was going incredibly well: my aim was perfect, the game felt very smooth... until that after a few minutes, in the same match, the game gradually worsened and I started to get killed by everyone with no reason.

I also have some games that I play exclusively the single player and all are working well on my new PC:

Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5 and Resident Evil 2 (all of them I can limit the fps to 142 and play with Freesync ON and the game feels extremely responsive).

On the other hand, GTA 5 and Need for Speed Heat the character feels heavier (I'm not sure if it's because they tried to make the games as realistic as possible).

I don't know exactly where this problem comes from. I have (1Gbps download) - (200Mbps upload) fibre connection in bridge mode on my ASUS RT-AC86U and the speeds are always stable. Even using my ISP's router connected directly to my PC the problem remains.

Here I leave some tests I did with PingPlotter application on the Battlefield 4 servers I play (unfortunately I don't know how to analyze if the information obtained can help in any way):

The problem is most likey due to upgrading from intel CPU which have 2x less latency in core x core as well as 3x or more lower RAM latency into AMD.
yup the latency of ryzen cpus change when going from multiplayer to single player games did you even bother to read this guys post?? and also ping plotter is no bueno for measuring loss as it often gives false positives especially if youre measuring icmp echos