How many frames of lag are there with the following

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
[Unlisted]

Re: How many frames of lag are there with the following

Post by [Unlisted] » 12 Oct 2017, 18:54

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain. This is exactly the info I was looking for.

So if I understand the last part correctly - by slightly increasing the monitors refresh rate and keeping the RTSS limiter at exactly 60 FPS, it should ensure that the in-game limiter is in effect most of the time. RTSS only takes over when the target framerate exceeds 60 FPS, due to fluctuations or inaccuracy, thus reducing both microstutters and input delay due to buffer build-up. Is that somewhat correct?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: How many frames of lag are there with the following

Post by RealNC » 12 Oct 2017, 19:48

Yes. Although many 60FPS games are actually capping to 63FPS or 62FPS. This is done to actually make sure the buffers are filled. By default, developers care less about input lag and more about filling all available buffers (to guard against 1-frame or 2-frame render time spikes.) Using RTSS will take care of those games too.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.