Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

xl2540 vs other 144hz

Everything about input lag. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.

Re: xl2540 vs other 144hz

Postby lexlazootin » 26 Sep 2017, 05:35

DP had the same latency as DVI. You're probably just fooling yourself.

If you want just put your custom refreshrates in CRU and it will show up in game.
lexlazootin

Postby mello » 26 Sep 2017, 07:31

lexlazootin wrote:DP had the same latency as DVI. You're probably just fooling yourself.

And even if there would be a tiny difference, 1-2ms for example, he still wouldn't be able to tell which performs better. What he is probably feeling is a combination of placebo effect and internet performance fluctuations that affect hit registration and game responsiveness during different times in a day when he plays the game. Doing these kind of tests (DVI vs DP) regarding input lag difference during online fps games is completly pointless, solely because of internet performance fluctuations, i have described it in this thread (pages 3 & 4).
mello

Postby Straifer » 26 Sep 2017, 07:48

without sounding like a lunatic or asif I'm just wanting to argue but I am curious about broad statements like 'I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 1-2ms'. I guess my question would be - With my 2720z BR ON and tweaked with Strobe Utility I've read that I would only notice 1-4ms of input delay with BR ON. I can genuinely feel the difference with BR ON vs OFF. Would that not be in the range of not being able to tell the difference?

I know we're talking about very small margins here but I've just been on my own little mission to test different options to see what feels natural.

Mello, I'm not saying you're wrong just trying to have a open discussion so I can understand better.
Straifer

Postby mello » 26 Sep 2017, 09:29

Straifer wrote:without sounding like a lunatic or asif I'm just wanting to argue but I am curious about broad statements like 'I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 1-2ms'.

The thing is, not even a professional gamer would be able to see the difference in a few ms range.

Straifer wrote:I've read that I would only notice 1-4ms of input delay with BR ON.

This is incorrent. There is 1-2ms (AFAIK) difference, but no one said that you would be able to notice it or tell the difference in input lag between BR on and BR off.

Straifer wrote:I can genuinely feel the difference with BR ON vs OFF. Would that not be in the range of not being able to tell the difference?

You can feel that something is different but it is not the input lag delay that you feel... so no, such low ms differences are not noticable.

Straifer wrote:I know we're talking about very small margins here but I've just been on my own little mission to test different options to see what feels natural.

Mello, I'm not saying you're wrong just trying to have a open discussion so I can understand better.

There are many different things that may affect of how you feel or perceive smoothness or responsiveness. The change in itself, either higher/lower hz or BR on or BR off will affect how you feel... until your eyes will adapt to the change. You can see the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz, and when you switch to 60Hz after some time it will look horrible... for a few days, after that you eyes will adapt and 60Hz will not look as bad as when you switched from 144Hz to 60Hz. Same w G-SYNC, you can see better smoothness and it feels better, but it is not because of lower or higher input lag.

Another thing is internet performance fluctuations during different hours and your ISPs network which may be overloaded during different hours in a day. And i am not talking about ping or packet loss specifically but about general network usage (in your area or city) that may create more errors on your line, which in turn may increase interleaving and error correction and that will directly create an effect (to a different degree depending on the line) of poor hit registration, laggy feel, non smooth aiming or poor responsiveness. Doing tests during online fps gaming is not a good idea for doing any kind of input lag tests... especially by the feel.

And please do not assume that if you feel that something is different (better or worse) that it automatically must be an input lag that you are feeling.
mello

Postby lexlazootin » 26 Sep 2017, 11:48

Na, i think BR usually adds about half a frame. around 3-4ms at 144hz.

But i do agree with mello tho. 'Feeling' a difference is unproductive. If DP had latency we would of known by now, there are tons on monitors that use DP with little to no latency. All of the shit you see online about "reducing latency" based on feel is BS and you shouldn't waste your time on it.
lexlazootin

Previous

Return to Input Lag