What the heck is this weird stutter

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
chriswww

What the heck is this weird stutter

Post by chriswww » 03 Oct 2017, 04:05

I've gone thru various hardware, O/S, settings etc. and nothing ever gets rid of this crazy choppy picture in the game Wolfenstein Enemy Territory when panning. I used to think it was tearing but as can be seen in the vsync enabled recording, it's like several frames partially overlaid at offset amounts dependent on mouse moving speed. Recorded on iphone slo-mo 120fps mode.
Like I said had this problem over many years with lots of different hardware etc. Anyone know what causes this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpiVcU000wQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T43ObzWUMLc

lexlazootin

Re: What the heck is this weird stutter

Post by lexlazootin » 03 Oct 2017, 05:23

V-Sync not working correctly if you're using V-Sync, you can try to maybe enable it in your graphic cards control panel.

What is the game capped at? you can fix a lot of stuttering/tearing issues with a higher fps.

chriswww

Post by chriswww » 03 Oct 2017, 22:16

the vsync and non-vsync recordings do look different and therefore this artefacting looks like something else entirely, possibly maybe even related to directx input in this id tech 3 engine game. i'd like to stay away from immediately trying to grasp at possible solutions and instead concentrate on true identification of the problem, as the former gets me nowhere from experience over many years with this issue. Should i get software/hardware to number the frames or what other method to use to get to root cause rather than clutching at straws?

chriswww

Post by chriswww » 04 Oct 2017, 17:28

com_maxfps is 125. non-vsync shows 125 which sometimes flickers to 124?
vsync shows 120, sometimes flickers to 119
the artefacting displacement distance between the ghosted(?) images seems to be very regular and related to mouse movement speed.
for kicks, last night i changed mouse setting to 125hz polling and it was absolutely horrid, with irregular freezing of mouse movement.

chriswww

Post by chriswww » 04 Oct 2017, 17:32

Over the years i've upgraded my pc several times, whereby ALL components have been replaced. I've had this problem in Win7,8,9,10 and various versions of linux. I've tinkered with drivers, OS settings etc to n-th degree in the past, with no real lasting success ever.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Oct 2017, 17:47

That doesn't look like 125fps!

Even with YouTube mucking up what things looks like, it definitely looks really bad -- a video of 125fps+ looks much smoother

Have you ever tried a true 1000 Hz gaming mouse before? You really want mouse poll rate to be far beyond frame rate, see Blur Busters Mouse Guide for an explanation why. 125Hz mouse polling is not enough to make things smooth, believe me or not. It often solves a lot of these kinds of "125fps looks like 30fps" problems.

EDIT: Just noticed your 2nd youtube mentioning you're already running at 1000Hz. Okay, now I'm stumped.

--> This doesn't happen in other games? All other games are perfectly smooth? This could be a quirk specific only to this game, a game engine limitation, some old games intentionally had low update rates, such as during specific movements such as turning.

--> If this problems happens to all games and even window dragging -- what monitor model are you using? Certain models had frameskipping bugs.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

chriswww

Post by chriswww » 04 Oct 2017, 22:48

Yes, this is id tech 3 engine specific....however there are people out there (much less IT literate than me) who have no such problems and can play much better as a result. Having been in computers since 80s, I'm sure they're not experiencing it and I am. Could be some timer issue or mouse related issue or anything really. I've even studied the source code for clues but I don't know everything. All I need is some fairly surefire way of being able to narrow/diagnose the problem.
This doesnt happen any other games or desktop, which with my latest gpu being a quadro p2000 is glass smooth. I've had other gaming cards etc before from both camps and many monitors both gaming and not. my current is a an AOC 144hz, running at 120hz to better match up with 125fps.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Oct 2017, 13:09

chriswww wrote:Yes, this is id tech 3 engine specific....however there are people out there (much less IT literate than me) who have no such problems and can play much better as a result. Having been in computers since 80s, I'm sure they're not experiencing it and I am. Could be some timer issue or mouse related issue or anything really. I've even studied the source code for clues but I don't know everything. All I need is some fairly surefire way of being able to narrow/diagnose the problem.
This doesnt happen any other games or desktop, which with my latest gpu being a quadro p2000 is glass smooth. I've had other gaming cards etc before from both camps and many monitors both gaming and not. my current is a an AOC 144hz, running at 120hz to better match up with 125fps.
Can you test your AOC with http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping at both 120Hz and 144Hz?

This probably is not it, especially if other things are glass-smooth in idTech 3 (e.g. keyboard strafe left-right) but I only mention this because you mentioned AOC (plenty of anecdotes). AOC confirmed this was fixed in newer firmwares. This was fixed in newer AOC's but early AOC 144Hz (non-GSYNC) firmwares had the frameskipping issue at certain high refresh rates. All the G-SYNC AOC's are running perfect, no problem. This only affects older 144Hz AOC's that was purchased long time ago.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

chriswww

Post by chriswww » 05 Oct 2017, 17:17

Test runs fine. I previously had a vg248qe and was same problem. The problem is somehow related to input. Keyboard strafe also does it but less, due to fixed speed. I’ve had other brands of gaming mice, other motherboards etc. It’s as if the engine gets bogged down internally, regardless of the steady 125 FPS. Playing on own started local server without anyone is just as bad. Unless I have closely matching FPS and monitor refresh, it gets ridiculously hideous. Raising the FPS very high does smooth it out a bit however, can’t play online with 333 or higher FPS, then start getting net lag.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Oct 2017, 22:02

Try turning on/off high precision timers/clocks ("HPET" or "TSC" or similiar feature) in your BIOS.