LG 24GM77 input lag / sluggish Mouse?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ashr

LG 24GM77 input lag / sluggish Mouse?

Post by ashr » 09 Oct 2017, 20:47

Hey guys,

I own an LG24GM77 - http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-24GM77-B and for the longest time, I've always felt like I'd been experiencing a sluggish mouse feeling in games like Overwatch and Quake Live. I go to a lot of LANs where I play on different computers and everything feels great on those 144hz monitors, but at home, it's always felt a little off.

I figured it was the rest of my hardware, so I didn't think too much about the monitor. Eventually, I just gave up and played with it because I couldn't find a fix.

Recently, I won an LG 24MP59G (IPS panel) - http://www.lg.com/in/monitors/lg-24MP59G in a tournament, so I've got a dual monitor set up going. I decided to play Overwatch on it on a whim, even though it's only 75hz, and I was surprised to find that it feels significantly more responsive than the 144hz even though the picture is obviously more choppy at a lower refresh rate.

If I had to describe it, playing on the 24MP59G feels like the mouse is an extension of my hand and all my flick shots are on point, while on the 24GM77, it's like there's a barrier between me and the game, like I'm clearly interacting with a device that then translates my movements as input.

On the other hand, I've tried the Acer XB241H at LAN and that felt very responsive as well, identical to the mouse feeling I'm getting with the 24MP59G. My friend's AOC G2460PQU felt kinda decent too.

My 24GM77 just feels restrictive by comparison. I've tried Displayport, HDMI, the supplied DVI-D but no luck. I've even tried lowering my refresh rate to 60 just to test, but it still feels slow compared to my other monitor. I can't seem to find anything in the tech specs that could indicate why. Menu options are mostly the same on both (DAS mode enabled to reduce input lag).

Am I just out of luck?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LG 24GM77 input lag / sluggish Mouse?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Oct 2017, 21:17

The best least-laggy 60Hz displays have less lag than the worst-laggiest 144Hz displays.

Usually the rule of thumb is that higher Hz is less lag, but sometimes there's overlap in lag quality. The best high-Hz will always be less lag than the best low-Hz of the same panel type, assuming real-time scanout (instant mode operation). However, situations do happen where the worst high-Hz can underperform the best low-Hz.

It's merits mentioning that the LG24GM77 is one of LG's first 144Hz monitors, and it has more flaws than their newer monitors (including large amounts of strobe crosstalk in its MOTION240 mode). The LG24GM79 is reportedly much better, and your LG is better as well.

Currently, we have actually heard enough anecdotes of problems with the early -77 model, that we do recommend a newer LG or a different "Better Than 60Hz" monitor from the Official List of Best Gaming Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

StrobeMaster

Post by StrobeMaster » 14 Oct 2017, 01:18

ashr wrote: My 24GM77 just feels restrictive by comparison. I've tried Displayport, HDMI, the supplied DVI-D but no luck. I've even tried lowering my refresh rate to 60 just to test, but it still feels slow compared to my other monitor. I can't seem to find anything in the tech specs that could indicate why. Menu options are mostly the same on both (DAS mode enabled to reduce input lag).
Have you tried 120Hz? Given that Motion240 works only at 100Hz and 120Hz, 144Hz might work differently with respect to latency and DAS mode. As the Chief said, the firmware is known to be buggy, so I wouldn't be surprised if they screwed up the 144Hz. DAS=on is the correct setting, which implies Motion240=off anyway, irrespective of refresh rate (https://display-corner.epfl.ch/index.ph ... 7#Features). Which version is your 24GM77 running on (How to call up the service menu)? Does the 24MP59G support some sort of motion blur reduction and have you enabled it?

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 22 Dec 2017, 19:36

I tested a LG 24GM79 for some days, and despite it having a really strong contrast and colours for a TN panel (prolly the best I seen on a TN 144hz), its lag is noticeable aswell compared to the competitors. I would say that if you looking for the lowest possible input lag (CS, Quake, etc), stay away. If you´re casual and play other type of games then is one of the best options.