You guys are my last hope for fixing my problem

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
victor910

Re: You guys are my last hope for fixing my problem

Post by victor910 » 08 Jan 2021, 06:33

nuggify wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 03:14
Please for the love of god comment with something on topic to the thread. The OP said all his issues are present while on desktop, and even in BIOS. It has zero to do with anything you are talking about, we are here trying to fix a real problem and you are just rambling about cheaters. This is not related to any specific game. Its not software.
victor910 wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 21:10
are you talking about multiplayer games? yes?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 22:27
Yes, for competitive online multiplayer games on the open Internet.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2021, 00:05

It is forking into multiple related subtopics in multiple directions, and the OP did mention a bunch of online games too. While online games are mentioned, it does not necessarily imply cause of the problem. Sorry about the confusing clarity. Apologies.

(I observe a minor amount of frustration towards the end. Nontheless, the "Be Nice" forum rules still applies. Keep the thread classy, so back to relevant discussion even if there are spinoff/related topics. Appreciated!)

Thanks!

That said:
victor910 wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 03:10
ok, I will try one time.
final decision WHEN your shot will be registered make it by SERVER.
Server operated base on pings and fps on EVERY player who connected to him right now, as well server use another condition but we will be talking about this later.
In short story,
if someone have high ping this YOURS problem.
if someone has fps drop this YOURS problem.

I know this stupid, but question why? please direct to games developers.

Cheaters know about this stupid algorithm and easy to use, generate a FAKE problem with FPS and PING for affected to on opponent input lag.
From my assessment, this is no longer relevant to the OP (Original Poster, post #1 in this thread). So this should be posted in a new thread, however.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nuggify

Post by nuggify » 11 Jan 2021, 19:17

Just for the sake of discussion I figured I would post my friend Ashr's comment he made on another forum relating to this issue. He does not post very much these days about this issue as he is the one and only person that seems to have permanently fixed it (full mitigation of symptoms, we still have no clue what the source is) with chemical grounding. For all those that are curious what his exact symptoms were here is the thread (I was the OP) he posted this comment on:
https://www.overclock.net/threads/the-m ... 96/page-21

It is post #417 near the bottom of the linked page. He has some embedded videos and images that are useful.

Here is the text:

Ashr:
"Just chiming in to say that I've experienced all these issues at length as well. I've also come across other bizarre **** like moving chairs in another room affecting my mouse, and sparks in my displayport when plugging in the cable -
. But first, I should say that I live in India where infrastructure ranges from great to very poor. Many contractors don't bother with stuff like regulations and code, and we have blackouts nearly every other day. There's a massive electrical transformer outside my apartment building which catches fire every other month, and when it does, the electricity department come over and fix it, but only temporarily. The electrical contractor who worked on my apartment building literally ran away with the circuit diagrams after a disagreement with the architect lol so we don't even know how the wires are set up.

Our ISPs are also similar - Network cables are all over the place, with 4 different ISPs hanging their cables in a big cluster on a nearby streetlight - https://i.imgur.com/U16xAvH.png

Coming to my house, I've had water heaters and a UPS fail, a computer PSU going kaput, and the outdoor unit of air conditioner literally catching fire and melting. Sometimes my power strip also lights up even when the switch is turned off - https://i.imgur.com/AntwbOf.png

I've experienced mild shocks from my PC case in the past so I had multiple electricians come over and check the outlets. Most of them just told me everything was fine but over here, they're not exactly the highly trained sort. I've never even seen them carry stuff like a multimeter with them. It eventually stopped happening when I had a separate grounding rod installed that is connected to the single outlet I use for my PC, but this one time, I pulled out all the cables out from my case including the power cable. The only thing that was still connected was Ethernet which ran to my router which was still on. I received a shock again when I touched the case. It never happened again though.

More bizarre **** -

Fan hub touching my PSU shroud producing a loud noise -
(I've tried removing the hub and fans completely too. It doesn't help).

And the strangest thing I've ever seen... We've had terrible wifi performance in this house for as long as we've been here. Speeds were always garbage on both 2.4 and 5ghz with Netflix buffering all the time or sites flat out not loading. On a whim, I had an electrician pull out all the old unused phone line cables behind the walls. Guess what? Wifi has been perfect ever since with a stable 40ish mbit on 2.4ghz and 90+ on 5ghz. You can see the speedtest history here for before and after - https://i.imgur.com/1zRRtdQ.png

4k Netflix now streams without any issues and everyone else in the house is very happy.

Anyway, my mouse used to be completely uncontrollable previously, either laggy or extra fast, often rapidly switching within minutes. Stuff like placing my phone on top of my PC case or touching any power cables going to my PC or monitor would affect the way it felt. I was also severely desynced from any games I was playing, with bullets simply passing through people as if they weren't there. I switched my PC out entirely, buying relatively high end hardware, must have tried like 5 different motherboards, 3 GPUs, 3 PSUs and what not, along with multiple versions of Windows. Nothing helped. I picked up a Furman Power Conditioner which made things much better for about 3 weeks, until it just randomly went back to **** for whatever reason. I finally bought an online UPS and it made things far better for me. I could finally play to a certain extent, but it still didn't feel perfect. I too noticed similar things like what Gunit posted a few pages back, where forcing a different frequency output felt better. I'm in a 50hz country, and forcing 60hz output gives me the best result from the UPS, no idea why. When the lag is present, it's not just the mouse, but rather a system wide lag where programs open slowly, webpages load in parts, games both online and offline feel desynced and so on.

However, a few months ago, we had another blackout here and the power guys messed around with some stuff outside. For about 2 months after that, everything was basically perfect for me. No lag whatsoever. But around 2 weeks back after another blackout, and subsequent power department response, my PC doesn't feel perfect again. Unfortunately, I have no way of getting them to fix anything for me because over here, they won't bother with anything more than bringing electricity into the house. Basically, if your lights come on, you're all set. Finally, when I had the grounding rod installed, the electrician told me to keep the spot damp. Not sure why. When I was lagging 2 days back and out of ideas, I went downstairs to check it and the soil looked really hard and dry. I ended up pouring 2 liters of water directly on the spot, and the lag went away for about 3 hours lol. I have no idea why any of this affects anything, nor will I pretend to know stuff about how electricity works, but it does in my case.

Now I have to say that it is very normal to be skeptical about all this, because these things are unheard of. I've had multiple people tell me that it's all in my head. However, I've been actively involved in esports for nearly 2 decades now. I've placed in multiple places across many cities, and even some top level tournaments around the world. I've lived in countries like Canada and took a team to a bootcamp in the US just a few months ago. In the past 2-3 years, I must have played on at least 30 different PCs, and the only ones to have any kind of issues were the ones in my house. I don't have it anywhere else. I also owned a Nintendo Switch which would lag in my house, both docked and handheld, but would be just fine when I took it somewhere else. The hardware I'm currently using was bought from a friend in a different city, and when he had it, he could easily achieve some tight timings with the RAM sticks (Samsung B-die) but in my house, the same settings fail after a few minutes. I have to loosen the timings to be stable. My older Skylake rig which exhibited these issues in my house was sold to another competitive gamer in another city, and he hasn't complained about anything so far."

This post was well before he tried chemical grounding. Now it has completely mitigated the issues for his devices since June (when he installed the chem ground).

Hope this is helpful for anyone out there.

diakou

Post by diakou » 11 Jan 2021, 22:33

nuggify wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 19:17
Just for the sake of discussion I figured I would post my friend Ashr's comment he made on another forum relating to this issue. He does not post very much these days about this issue as he is the one and only person that seems to have permanently fixed it (full mitigation of symptoms, we still have no clue what the source is) with chemical grounding.
How funny, that the only person who seems to have fixed his problems is A) a competitive player and B) a person with an interest of actually getting it fixed as soon as possible so he can get back to gaming

A big, big ass problem I have with the entire EMI/EMF crowd is the fact that not a single person seems to have a motive for getting it fixed.

It almost sounds like you all want to constantly be in a state of depression and then latch on your own perceived feelings of another persons problem onto EMF/EMI. I've seen this behavior multiple times at this point in here at BB. And over at overclock.net where the EMI/EMF crowd starts harassing someone else into submission that they're dealing with EMI/EMF and that it's unfixable because you guys have tried everything you can apparently.

I do not understand how when there's a problem that you have apparently completely identified - that you cannot possibly make small steps and strides to eradicating a problem. At a certain point you have to completely re-evaluate everything you know about EMI/EMF and absolutely everything you have tried to see if you missed something. And ultimately - genuinely just accept defeat and move out of the house to a new place, done deal. Or in the worst-case figure out what the normal baseline is and understand that there is a baseline for now, you will not get past the baseline, period.

I do not mean to be this harsh, but it's getting visibly frustrating reading EMI/EMF posts constantly go in the exact same circle loop without anything realistically new to add to the conversation. Seriously, I empathize with anyone that has out of the ordinary problems regarding having a fun gaming experience. But I just simply cannot empathize with people who spend multiple years on a problem that they assumingly know exactly what is, but keep hampering/sobbing on with it instead of scaling up the attempts of fixing it. At a certain point, you're going to lose the entire reason as to why you wanted to fix it in the first place by the time you do, if it keeps going at this pace. Move houses, move multiple times infact. Try to test the new setup in some way or shape.

Or just give up until you can move if you cannot move. If you have tried "everything" and "no one" has seemingly been able to fix it, only "temporarily" you're entering territories where you might cognitively straight up be messing your own brain here. There will come a point where nothing feels normal because you completely lost touch of reality / sense of what "normal" is.

The main reason why I am this frustrated is because your friend Ashr completely proves a part of my suspicions. That the EMI/EMF crowd who has been going on and on about this for years either has;

A) Became cognitively ill specifically in regards to this (nothing else)
B) Coping/Trolling/Gave up or simply wants to latch onto the idea that other people suffer just as bad as them whenever the slightest hint of an EMI related issue occur even though it is beyond far-fetched in majority of cases

I want to point out again, just for the sake of other readers;
1) I believe in the issue, I have seen it myself - the behaviors and problems that can occur are ridiculous.
2) I do not think it is an easy issue to fix or diagnose, it is very problematic and tough.
3) I do not wish to be so harsh, but I feel like getting the point across is beyond impossible at this point.

Where I have a problem with this is the fact that when someone starts boiling it down to EMI/EMF and essentially just actively chooses to completely mess over their own life on a PC for it.

If the only solution seems to be to move houses, then straight up start working / take up an education, save up enough money and move houses. Rent somewhere else, whatever it takes, because at this pace and point, you are going to take longer to fix your "issues" than simply saving up for a few years for a deposit on a house. Seriously.

Ashr - the guy that is a competitive player who has a purpose to get the issue fixed as soon as possible and move on, seemingly is also the ONLY person according to you to fix it ever.

You don't think that rings a bell at all? That at a certain point, maybe some of the EMI/EMF crowd completely lost touch with what they think is normal or why they even wanted to fix the problem in the first place. At a certain point, losing this sense completely misaligns you. Ashr had a hyper-focused approach and had the drive / time pressure to get it fixed as soon as he can. He fixed it. I repeat, you said that he fixed it - and he seemingly is the only person to have had a reasonable approach to the problem in the case of wanting to get it fixed or get it good enough so he can go back to playing and stop posting. There exists a point where there's also a baseline for "good enough" temporarily if it is completely unfixable no matter what you try.

I genuinely say this to most people who go down the path of small-game inconveniences, to bigger problems like varying input lag and extreme inconsistencies at lower latencies, to finally the EMI/EMF crowd with a huge issue. Know your motive and drive as to why you want it fixed and remember that at a certain point, you should feel like there is time ticking. If you cannot re-evaluate this, you have no real purpose and you will struggle to ever find a fix, if there even is anything to fix.

I don't want people to be obsessing in a way where they just cannot get out of it anymore. I hope I can get through in any way.

nuggify

Post by nuggify » 12 Jan 2021, 03:34

diakou wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 22:33

How funny, that the only person who seems to have fixed his problems is A) a competitive player and B) a person with an interest of actually getting it fixed as soon as possible so he can get back to gaming
Funny? We are nearly all competitive players but alright. I am glad you can laugh at others misfortune.
diakou wrote:
A big, big ass problem I have with the entire EMI/EMF crowd is the fact that not a single person seems to have a motive for getting it fixed.

It almost sounds like you all want to constantly be in a state of depression and then latch on your own perceived feelings of another persons problem onto EMF/EMI. I've seen this behavior multiple times at this point in here at BB. And over at overclock.net where the EMI/EMF crowd starts harassing someone else into submission that they're dealing with EMI/EMF and that it's unfixable because you guys have tried everything you can apparently.
Harassing? No. We are trying to save people money, that we ourselves spent for nothing because this problem is not solvable with power filtration devices, or new hardware. Just being honest with good intentions, you are free to take it however you like though.
diakou wrote:

I do not understand how when there's a problem that you have apparently completely identified - that you cannot possibly make small steps and strides to eradicating a problem. At a certain point you have to completely re-evaluate everything you know about EMI/EMF and absolutely everything you have tried to see if you missed something. And ultimately - genuinely just accept defeat and move out of the house to a new place, done deal. Or in the worst-case figure out what the normal baseline is and understand that there is a baseline for now, you will not get past the baseline, period.
Thanks but I moved 4 times, in my city and all 4 homes have the problem. That is when I really realized I wanted to know what could cause this, and if possible what could be a solution on our ends. I currently have access to two houses one is a family members and at that house it is even worst. But again thanks for the advice. Get past the baseline? This problem really effects all devices and it is very annoying for someone who enjoys playing games.

We have been making small steps and strides ruling out what the problem is not. There is a lot of things we have tried and tested that we do not write about on these forums. I am sorry you have issue with the fact that I want to understand this problem, and help others skip past the stage where they waste tons of money trying everything we already have.
diakou wrote:
But I just simply cannot empathize with people who spend multiple years on a problem that they assumingly know exactly what is, but keep hampering/sobbing on with it instead of scaling up the attempts of fixing it.

Or just give up until you can move if you cannot move. If you have tried "everything" and "no one" has seemingly been able to fix it, only "temporarily" you're entering territories where you might cognitively straight up be messing your own brain here. There will come a point where nothing feels normal because you completely lost touch of reality / sense of what "normal" is.

The main reason why I am this frustrated is because your friend Ashr completely proves a part of my suspicions. That the EMI/EMF crowd who has been going on and on about this for years either has;

A) Became cognitively ill specifically in regards to this (nothing else)
B) Coping/Trolling/Gave up or simply wants to latch onto the idea that other people suffer just as bad as them whenever the slightest hint of an EMI related issue occur even though it is beyond far-fetched in majority of cases.
Ashr got lucky with chemical grounding. He himself will admit that. It is not a well known thing in the world of electrical. Most standard electricians in the states have never heard of it or would never consider it for a residential home. Also from all of the professionals I have consulted with, every single one says saftey ground should not do anything for these type of interference problems. Ashr suffered this problem for years as well, and tried many many things- just as he mentions in that comment. For those of us that own the home where we have the issue it is not so easy as "just moving". For others they move and run into the same damn problem, and now they have signed a lease for another year. I hope you understand we do not have unlimited resources here.

You talk about all this stuff pertaining to delusions, trolling, coping and what not but you seem to disregard the fact that I have seen my computers and other devices work 100% fine at other locations farther away from here (the 4 homes I have tested at near me are all within 25 miles). Furthermore part of it is some people truly want to understand the phenomenon that is this problem. Is curiosity really such a strange thing to you?
diakou wrote:
I want to point out again, just for the sake of other readers;
1) I believe in the issue, I have seen it myself - the behaviors and problems that can occur are ridiculous.
2) I do not think it is an easy issue to fix or diagnose, it is very problematic and tough.
3) I do not wish to be so harsh, but I feel like getting the point across is beyond impossible at this point.

Where I have a problem with this is the fact that when someone starts boiling it down to EMI/EMF and essentially just actively chooses to completely mess over their own life on a PC for it.

If the only solution seems to be to move houses, then straight up start working / take up an education, save up enough money and move houses. Rent somewhere else, whatever it takes, because at this pace and point, you are going to take longer to fix your "issues" than simply saving up for a few years for a deposit on a house. Seriously.

Ashr - the guy that is a competitive player who has a purpose to get the issue fixed as soon as possible and move on, seemingly is also the ONLY person according to you to fix it ever.
So you have seen the issue yourself. What happened? Did you cope, or did you move? You are still posting in a topic dedicated to this issue so clearly you did not move on entirely with your life. Why is that, could it be that you want to help people that suffer this?

What point is it that you want to get across? That people should just cope with something that makes enjoying gaming near impossible?
That people should just move on with their lives and not try to understand this or fix it? Just sell their PCs because screw it, they were too unlucky. This is a site dedicated to problems and troubleshooting like this for gods sake. Realize where you are. If it annoys you so much to see people making new threads about this problem multiple times a week maybe you should stop coming here and take some of your own advice- move on with your life. There is a reason talk of this is gaining traction and it is not because its getting less common.

I am gonna outline a few key points here if you truly want to understand something about this problem:

A lot of people live in apartments and cannot try solutions like chemical grounding, or even troubleshoot their electrical wiring.

Most of us do not have disposable income.

Many, many of us did move only to find out that the new location we moved to has the same issue- despite confirming our hardware is not damaged (finding a location like a friends or family members where it works properly).
diakou wrote:
I genuinely say this to most people who go down the path of small-game inconveniences, to bigger problems like varying input lag and extreme inconsistencies at lower latencies, to finally the EMI/EMF crowd with a huge issue. Know your motive and drive as to why you want it fixed and remember that at a certain point, you should feel like there is time ticking. If you cannot re-evaluate this, you have no real purpose and you will struggle to ever find a fix, if there even is anything to fix.

I don't want people to be obsessing in a way where they just cannot get out of it anymore. I hope I can get through in any way.
One of us recently bought a monitor with Nvidia Reflex. It was reporting 300-400ms mouse click delays, at times. Do you realize how large that is? It is well beyond any other input lag problem. It is completely debilitating for serious gaming.

You seem to think people enjoy being stuck in this loop. We just want our stuff to work as it is intended, and we know it can but this problem is inexplicable at times and borderlines on black magic. Electricity is complicated.

There have been a good few people that found the solution to be moving and never looked back. One of those is Ayman, the guy that started the 300 page nvidia topic about this problem and the r/buildapc topic that caught a lot of attention. I do not blame these folks in the least for not looking back- the problem already took enough from them. But for some of them it took multiple moves. That is the reason I bring up Ashr. He is the only one that was able to fully mitigate the symptoms at the place where the problem was happening. To my knowledge no one else has done that.

You said you have experienced issues like this or this in particular so maybe you can understand how much it holds you back in the hobby that is gaming. There is also an influx of people posting this stuff, likely because of Covid and tons of people have way more free time on their hands to game.

It is a phenomenon that should be understood and a solution should be found. And we are working towards that. It is plenty easy to say, "just move on" when you do not have to deal with it anymore. But look we don't need your empathy. There is a lot of shit going on in the world and life is not easy but at least people can find hobbies like gaming that they can get away from it for awhile. This problem robs us of that. I do not think our efforts are worthless.

noname

Post by noname » 31 Jan 2021, 05:10

blackmagic wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 20:15
whatever this phenomenon is...the logic behind it is very illogical. :lol:
and i think that is the worst part on this phenomenon...
Electricians will watch you like you are out of mind and you actually can't explain the real problem to them because the lack of knowledge and experience of this absurd problem.
Chemical Grouding with a good earth rods like this (https://www.kingsmillindustries .com/product/copperbond-earth-rods/) should fix the problems, atleast mostly of them.
But still, is it worth it in the end? That's my question, should we move on and just leave the online gaming focusing in something better than this? I love gaming since I was 5(I'm 26 now) but lately this problem became more and more toxic, actually not enjoying anymore playing, not even offline.

f1ndus

Post by f1ndus » 31 Jan 2021, 11:42

hello guys, everyone who have this problem..
Who have problems with AUDIO (noise in speakers, headphones) or waves TV,MONITOR?
Are you really think you are fighting with EMI/RFI?

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 31 Jan 2021, 12:40

Me. Actually when i put my headset in my mbo 3.5 audio ports headset becomes broken after 1 week. So I use external usb soundcard

Mentucius

Post by Mentucius » 31 Jan 2021, 13:46

mello wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 06:01
I have good news and bad news for you. Good news is that i know what the problem is, bad news is that you won't be able to fix it.

erobuR wrote: Even though I game via 144hz monitor, it not just feels like 30hz but also everything is lagging so much.

Let's say in CS:GO :
1- I don't have legit sprays. My spray patterns are always too off from the usual ones that should be. Two bullets can be really off because there are micromicrostutters happening. And even though the mouse and table is standing still, it can spray as if i have Parkinson's disease.
2- Peaking is a no no. As the textures are waving it is impossible to see someone and play competitively.
3- Using WASD feels like I'm using a truck. When I watch my replays i act and move like as if my grandma started gaming and she is trying to figure out WASD movement.
4- I cannot see people peaking onto me. I just die the moment i see them with 100mbits VDSL 17mod internet. My competitive ping is around 60ms. Domestic servers in my country feel better by far.

When this issue began
Since 2010. Some days or even hours it is better. Some days it is the worst. It DOES really change a lot.

It gets better for some hours, for some hours not, then again better.
I have 100mbit VDSL connection.

This is something which adds up. You cannot just say "oh it is gone!'' because it comes back like in serial Stranger Things.
All of that clearly points out to internet connection problems. This is mostly known and referred to as having "bad registration" problems, but this also affects many different areas of how the game feels like, basically whole online gaming experience is affected. It is caused by network performence fluctuations, this is why it is not a constant problem (randomly goes away, comes back or is less or more severe), and it is not related to hardware, your system or its settings in any way.

Why the game feels inconsistent, random or sometimes even unplayable ? It is because of 2 things:

1) interleaving (and its depth) and error correction parameters on your line
2) your ISPs network and lines being overloaded

Interleaving and error correction:
Please log into your router and search for network parameters that are reported by your router, interleaver depth, delay (ms), IMP, and all kind of reported errors (both correctable and uncorrectable, this will be a number). Post them here. If your router doesn't show that via admin panel, try to connect to your router via TELNET and get that information. Alternatively, call your ISPs customer service, so they can check that and provide you with this information.

Once you get that information we might do few things from there that *might* improve things for you.

How network overload affects gaming performence and hit registration ?
Simple. Your ISP's network work in a such a way that everything is automatic. Devices and software are constantly monitoring your line parameters and are making changes on the fly to make the connection reliable and stable. The term "gaming traffic", there is no such thing for your ISP and for the devices in the network and the software that is running all of it. It is completely ignored and disregarded, what matter is the whole network stability and reliability. Most people experience "hit registration" problems to a different degrees. Problem also randomly goes away and shows up again. It is because of network performance fluctuations, based on the network usage, meaning how many people are using internet in your area/city at the time you play the game. And your ISP's devices and software is monitoring your line at all times, and it changes various parameters based on what is reported, if you have more errors and more packet loss it increases error correction , interleaving and delays on the line, if the network usage is light, meaning no errors (or small amount of errors) it will remove limitations and decrese interleaving. This is why people randomly experience "good hit registration" (no problems at all) and "bad hit registration". I even suspect that overall high network load and overloaded lines play a big role in "hit registration" problem, even if you take out interleaving (!) out of the equation. Why ? Because if there was only 1 person using internet in your area/city (you) then you would have perfect gaming experience and hit registration regardless of the network parameters that are being applied on your line at that time. How that would be possible ? Because there would be zero interferences on the line (cables), and it would perform to the fullest of its capabilities with no errors, and the only limiting factor would be a ping time.
erobuR wrote: When this issue began
Since 2010. Some days or even hours it is better. Some days it is the worst. It DOES really change a lot.
This is because each year more and more people are being connected to the internet, more people are using internet in general (including kids, older people), on variety of devices, and the overall network usage is higher each and every year. And this eventually creates problems for gamers, problems like you described, this is commonly known as having a "bad hit registration", because your ISPs network and lines are overloaded. And this is precisely why you experience this incosistency in online gaming performence, when the network usage in your area/city is low you feel that everything is better, when network is overloaded you are getting all kind of problems that are affecting your gaming performence.

Another reason is that your ISP started offering faster connections to its customers, and you probably have faster connection now, then you had in 2010, 2005, or 2000. Same with people in your area/city, all of them have faster connections now then they had years before. On top of that your ISPs network is much more automatic these days, everything is configured in a way to improve network stability and reliability to all customers and to lower failure rate and network connection problems such as disconnections. In the past this was more user manageable, meaning that your ISPs technicans and people from customer service could alter your connection parameters more freely than it is possible nowadays.
erobuR wrote: Cause/Steps to recreate the issue
I started to strongly believe that this is an electrical problem. I bought an online ups which made the feeling better. The worse is when you plug all the fans into the motherboard so motherboard tries to control fans itself (QFAN). I now run them through Nzxt case module. I even once with my old PC opened a thread like how fans were the cause of big input lag but now I understand something was messing with the sensors. Better feeling is when I disable spread spectrum of all kinds. I do not know why but it helps. Also disabling over voltage monitoring from bios helps.

What have I tried
I tried all the tweaks in this planet, believe me. MSI modes, IRQ prioritize via regedit, pagefile messings, installing windows default drivers instead of realtek drivers, using different soundcards, trying different Hz in mice and many mice, many other keyboards, two different modems, even throwing the Thermaltake Armor VA8000 case from windows after changing all the system and seeing the problem is there. I installed many Windows versions from pro to home to developers.

It gets better for some hours, for some hours not, then again better. I have 100mbit VDSL connection. I tried different monitors too. I called two electricians who were looking at me as if i am some mental, and they could not understand anything at all. My country uses 220V. When i set my UPS to provide me 208V the feeling gets much more better. I have no idea why, the electricians have no idea here too. I doubt they know anything besides cabling.
erobuR wrote: Capped or uncapped, 60hz, 120hz or 144hz(this gives worst feeling) it happens. It is not just about vsync, I get it even on desktop. When the problem is at peak, when I write something like this the input lag is really there. I have two different mechanical keyboards and also chiclets and it is not caused by keyboard, too.

Just to let you know, whenever I use my PC without online-UPS it is worse. So UPS is filtering out something, maybe harmonics, maybe EMI I do not know but I can make you sure that it is something related with power. V-Sync, adaptive, half adaptive, anything, I have been messing up such settings for years and I am a power user and ex-competitive. It is not a setting related to monitor. It is something that either affects the monitor and/or the responsiveness it gives.
Assuming that you don't have other issues (or issues caused by system "fixes" that you tried to apply), the things you are describing might be a placebo. Let me explain. Whenever you apply a "fix" it "might" work temporarly (at least you feel it does), and then you have guides created by people that have 50 different ways to improve game performance and "fix" bad hit registration, laggy feel (and other problems) in games, which none of them really work. Basically, you might experience different level of performance during different hours in a day, all of it depends on how many people are using internet in your area at the same time, and how overloaded your ISP network is.

So in short, when having network connection problems, any fix you apply on your side, related to hardware, software, system, system "fixes and improvements" (from online sources), game settings, outside sources (cables, routers, UPS) will mean literally nothing, and it may fool you into thinking that something has actually worked and improved things, which sadly is not true.

f1ndus

Post by f1ndus » 01 Feb 2021, 04:00

yeah, i think there are 2 different sources of problem. i have same symptoms like you in game, my game feels slowly, choppy, delayed with high FPS, when my game need render more objects fps are stable but its very unsmooth.. i think half people with this problem have problem with electricity like bad power, unstable and dirty voltage from outlet and half people have bad power and dirty power +EMI.
I didnt had any problems with sound in PC speakers or heaphones or monitor waves.