Input Lag of DSL -- FastPath versus Interleaved, etc.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
lexlazootin

Input Lag of DSL -- FastPath versus Interleaved, etc.

Post by lexlazootin » 20 Oct 2017, 02:14

mello wrote:People complain because head shots or body shots are not being registered despite aiming perfectly on the enemy model
This is so vague and stupid. No gun is CS:GO is 100% accurate and a lot of the time it comes down to the player not understanding the mechanics of the game and not letting the gun cool down before firing or moving before shooting. It's the shit you see in like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoPCF0NyAug

100% Bullshit and he even overlays a awp scope in some of the shots to cover it up, people are just in denial.
mello wrote:or when you are clearly faster than you enemies (you have better reflex, you shoot faster but you still die).
Yea, this happens to me A LOT because of my 90 ping with my shitty ISP. This is how lag compensation works... I was recently playing a game where i got a few shots into the dude (Enough for it to kill him) but then i die. I check the console and he 1 tapped me but because of my ping i didn't know until a few shots later.

This is how it work... it goes back in time on my screen and corrects what happens, and it's supposed to work like that.
mello wrote:What affects hit registration is for example error correction (among few other things) on your line (it is called interleaving), and it may be set at different values (low interleaver depth or high interleaver depth). Someone who has higher interleaver depth will experience hit registration problems, but if he can request a change from his ISP, either to fast path (no interleaving = no error correction) or lowest interleaver depth, the problem can be fixed instantly and the differency will be visible in the first minute you play the game. Hit registration problems may skill cap you so bad, that the game will be unplayable and no longer enjoyable. That is why network performence is the most important thing when fps gaming via internet. Even a best gaming hardware in the world ($20000 for example) will not make you play any better, if you are bottlenecked by your internet connection.
Unless you are dropping so many packets it's unplayable it's bullshit, bullets don't magically not hit the player, we would be seeing a lot more of this but we don't for a good reason.

mello

Re: What monitor for ~$500? Main priority is CSGO

Post by mello » 20 Oct 2017, 10:54

lexlazootin wrote:
mello wrote:People complain because head shots or body shots are not being registered despite aiming perfectly on the enemy model
This is so vague and stupid.
Really ? Then how i should describe bad hit registration problem ? If you have better idea, then go ahead.
This is oversimplification, yes, but essentially, this is how to it looks like most of the time.
lexlazootin wrote: No gun is CS:GO is 100% accurate and a lot of the time it comes down to the player not understanding the mechanics of the game and not letting the gun cool down before firing or moving before shooting.

...people are just in denial.
It looks like you have never seen or experienced bad registration problem before. It has literally nothing to do with players not understanding the mechanics of the game and it has everything to do with network performance fluctuations that are affecting hit registration. This is also why this problem randomly goes away, or is not at severe at a certain times you play a game.

As i said before, if the problem is severe the easy fix in the past was a phone call to your ISP's customer service and requesting one of these changes:

- putting you on fast path (instead of interleaved)
- switching to lower interleaving depth
- resseting DLM and its limitations on your line (temporary fix, lasting few days at best if you have a lot of errors)

...and once they confirm that they have done the thing you needed, after you hang up and launch the game, you can literally feel like you are playing a completely differenty game with perfect or near perfect hit registration. This was a real thing, and you can still do that with some ISP's in some countries.

But of course i do not neglect the existence of situations like you desribed. People crying and whining where obviously they have made a mistake, missed a shot, moved when they shouldn't, or they just don't know hot to handle recoil with certain weapons. But this is a completely different thing than having hit registration problems.
mello wrote:
lexlazootin wrote:or when you are clearly faster than you enemies (you have better reflex, you shoot faster but you still die).
Yea, this happens to me A LOT because of my 90 ping with my shitty ISP. This is how lag compensation works... I was recently playing a game where i got a few shots into the dude (Enough for it to kill him) but then i die. I check the console and he 1 tapped me but because of my ping i didn't know until a few shots later.

This is how it work... it goes back in time on my screen and corrects what happens, and it's supposed to work like that.
And again, you are thinking about a completely different scenario. As i said before, this is a complex thing, and what you are describing is not the same thing i was describing. I was describing a situation when you clearly feel like you fire empty bullets and nothing is being registered, a scenario not related to high ping / lags.
mello wrote:
lexlazootin wrote:What affects hit registration is for example error correction (among few other things) on your line (it is called interleaving), and it may be set at different values (low interleaver depth or high interleaver depth). Someone who has higher interleaver depth will experience hit registration problems, but if he can request a change from his ISP, either to fast path (no interleaving = no error correction) or lowest interleaver depth, the problem can be fixed instantly and the differency will be visible in the first minute you play the game. Hit registration problems may skill cap you so bad, that the game will be unplayable and no longer enjoyable. That is why network performence is the most important thing when fps gaming via internet. Even a best gaming hardware in the world ($20000 for example) will not make you play any better, if you are bottlenecked by your internet connection.
Unless you are dropping so many packets it's unplayable it's bullshit, bullets don't magically not hit the player, we would be seeing a lot more of this but we don't for a good reason.
It is not about dropping packets, it is about packets being artificially delayed (interleaving adds an artificial delays on your line) so once the packets reach the server they are already late (server calculates you missed) and once the packets reach you, they are already outdated (players position/action may be outdated). Either of these things happens (or both), and this is causing hit registration problems.

A lot of people are experiencing this problem to a lesser or higher degree.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 20 Oct 2017, 21:05

Ah, so it's mystical quantum packet differences that is only testable based on the FEEL of the player and not some quantifiable results? Because i can't find anywhere any proof of what you're saying.

mello

Post by mello » 21 Oct 2017, 06:06

lexlazootin wrote:Ah, so it's mystical quantum packet differences that is only testable based on the FEEL of the player and not some quantifiable results?
Now thats funny, because you clearly do not understand the issue here and how network performence affects online fps gaming. FEELING is the only thing you have here, and the more variance there is (network performence fluctuations) the more you can feel it. For example:

1-10 variance, meaning 10 is best hit reg possible, 1 is the worst possible. If you have a consistent network performence, for example in these ranges 7-9, 5-7, 8-10, 4-6 then you can't really notice a difference, because there is not enought variance in your network performance. Also, the difference might be minimal and you thought nothing of it because it doesn't bother you enough or alter your in game performance to a significant degree. People in the lower consistent ranges might not be even aware that they have slight hit registration problems, because they have never experienced near perfect hit reg. Also, many people are not tech savvy, and they are just avarage players playing with friends for fun, so they might don't even care or notice the things other people are seeing. It also depends on many other variables, for example how much you play, if you play rarely there is a less chance that you will see and experience that something is off, you will have less experience in this area overall. If you play a lot, you care more, then you have a higher chance of experiencing different scenarios related to network performence. Same thing with refresh rates, not everyone sees the difference and to the same degree, people are differently affected/bothered by blurring, tearing and other display artifacts. Nothing is equal in this area, same with network performence and noticing the changes based on your game performence. Back to hit reg, if your variance is high enough, for example in 2-8 range, then you can actually experience a very good hit registration and you will know exactly how it feels playing the game when you have good network performence. Same goes with opposite, you will notice immediately when something is off and that is how you can identify the problem.

Why the feeling is the most important thing here ? Because you can't alter your network performence on your side, it is not display or hardware related, it has nothing to do input lag (although it may seem like it does for some people), system changes and tweaks will not work, same with ingame changes (cfg related), literally nothing you do will work, so you can't really test it the same way you can do test other things in different areas related to displays, hardware and gaming equipment. The only thing you have is going by the feel, and looking objectively how the game performs and what is your in game performence. And you should also know, that hit registration is not the only thing that is affected by poor network performence. It is the most important thing in fps gaming, that is why it is mentioned most of the time, but other areas are also affected:

- reflex and your reactions, when your network performence is on point you will clearly see a boost in reflex and your reaction time in comparison to playing when network performence is poor.
- game will feel more smooth and effortless when everything works fine, and you will see that something is off (game smoothness, player movements, aiming, recoil) and it will bother you, both visually and performence wise.
- peeking corners will feel off, controlling recoil will be harder (it will feel sluggish and somewhat more random) and recoil time will be affected, it will take longer for crosshair to go back to its natural position, both while firing and when receiving damage.

That is also why many people describe this problem differently, because they are affected by all of this differently and to lesser or higher degree. And the more network performence fluctuations there are, the more you can see and feel it.

Chief has talked a few times about input lag variability, and this is very similar to what i am talking about. High input lag variability will affect your performence and how you aim, you might feel that something if off when there is big discrepancy in this area. If input lag will be consistent (low or minimal variability), same thing will go for players performence. I believe that our minds do like consistency in what we see and feel, this is how we can perform and do our tasks to the best of our capabilities, feel comfort doing this, and not be bothered by outside things. But when you introduce a change (even a small one that might not be really noticeable for everyone) your mind will try to adapt to it, creating a non optimal performence, until it fully adapts to the change. High input lag variability basically forces our minds to adapt constantly to the small changes, making your in game performence non optimal. Same with internet lags and ping spikes, it creates a sudden change that your mind doesn't like and it bothers you, and you can no longer play the way you want. And believe it or not, there are some unfortunate people out there that are forced to play with higher ping and lags, and they can't do anything about it. Their minds are also being tweaked in a way so they can perform in a best possibile way in these circumstances (so it doesn't bother them so much, they are getting used to it!). You know what else will happen ? These people will alter their in game decisions, movement and tactics so they can make the best use of what has been given to them. Sometimes lagging players are harder to hit cleanly, and they will use it against you if they know that sometimes high ping/lags might give them an advantage in certain situations. Now, going back to network performence fluctuations and bad hit registration, this is the exact same thing. Apart from being unable to get hits on your enemies, the game performence varies and feels more random... which your mind doesn't like and your overall performence will suffer even more because network performence is constantly changing. Even if someone has non optimal hit registration (variance 4-6) it will feel much better and consistent (easier for your mind to adapt) than for someone that has hit reg variance in the 2-8 range. What really bothers people are huge performence drops and inconsistency of the network game performence, because changes are big, noticable and annoying, and your mind needs to constantly make changes and try to adapt to it. What is even worse, is the fact that someone may know exactly what optimal game performence is (good hit reg - variance 8) but his hit reg is constantly changing and feels random making it impossible to play at your true skill level.
lexlazootin wrote:Because i can't find anywhere any proof of what you're saying.
At one point in time people were saying that you don't need more than xx FPS or more than xx Hz, there were no tests, there were no real studies done, and we were in the dark ages with no real progress for a long time. We have also regressed with LCD tech and for many people 60fps@60Hz was a perfect scenario and nothing better was neeeded.

There are no tests, because most people think that the problem is either game engine, input lag related, problem is their monitor, hardware or gaming equipment. And there are other people like you thinking that this problem is an imaginary problem, it doesn't exists, and people are just crying and whining because they are just not good enough in a xxx game and they don't know how to play it. There is ignorance and misinformation all over the place.

Another important thing is this, this problem can't be "fixed" just by buying new mouse, monitor or better hardware. Or even by making tweaks and changes to your system, increasing fps, reducing input lag bottlenecks. In many cases, this problem randomly goes away and comes back, making it even more frustrating and making people desperate. So there is no real money to be made by anyone here, that is why no one really cares, and especially not the people who have no problems with hit registration.

Testing this will also be difficult, because it is not the same thing as doing tests in different areas related to displays, hardware and gaming equipment, where you can do a reliable test in your home, without any interference of outside sources. Testing a real network performence in relation to fps gaming and hit registration is a completely different thing, as it is directly an "outside source" performence that you would need to test, the thing that you can't really control. It is not even related to how fast your internet is or even to what your ping is, it is directly correlated with things like error correction on your line (number of errors, interleaving depth, impulse noise protection ratio) and the overall network usage in your area/city during the time you play the game.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 21 Oct 2017, 07:43

- reflex and your reactions, when your network performence is on point you will clearly see a boost in reflex and your reaction time in comparison to playing when network performence is poor.
Please tell me how your reaction time is effected by your Internets performance.
- game will feel more smooth and effortless when everything works fine, and you will see that something is off (game smoothness, player movements, aiming, recoil) and it will bother you, both visually and performence wise.
Please tell me how player movements, aiming and recoil are affected, especially because these three things are client side.

I really don't want to hear about how it "feels". You can cure illnesses with placebos and the person will "feel" better, doesn't mean it's evidence for it working or making a difference.

mello

Post by mello » 21 Oct 2017, 09:19

lexlazootin wrote:
Please tell me how your reaction time is effected by your Internets performance.
It just simply is, because you can clearly see and feel that you are shooting faster than your opponents with good network performence (when you have good/great hit registration at the same time), they just simply have less time to react or they even don't have a chance to react if you are much better player then them. But maybe i should use a different wording, the game feels much more responsive to what you are doing when you don't have hit registration problems. And it results in what you are seeing on the screen, and what you see looks like you have a boost in your reaction time (do to game being more responsive) against other players. But what it really means, is that you are no longer handicapped by your network performence, and what happens on the screen is the only right thing that should happen based on your skill.
lexlazootin wrote:
Please tell me how player movements, aiming and recoil are affected, especially because these three things are client side.
Game feels much more responsive, everything looks smooth and feels more natural and fluid. No strange little interruptions (not really interruptions but its hard to describe), no performance variance, no more struggle, no more feeling that something is off. This is the best way i can describe it. As i said before many people refer to this problem differently, thinking that it may be display related (ghosting, tearing, input lag), hardware related (stutter, unknown input lag bottleneck, lack of responsiveness, they search for hardware improvement, system tweaks) but what actually happens in vast majority of cases is just a poor network performance do to fluctuations that are happening constantly on their lines.
lexlazootin wrote: I really don't want to hear about how it "feels". You can cure illnesses with placebos and the person will "feel" better, doesn't mean it's evidence for it working or making a difference.
I don't really care what you think or what you want to hear, i am just trying to explain this phenomenon to you the best way i can. It doesn't really matter if you believe or understand it, and especially when you have never seen or experienced it yourself. And its existence has been proven many times, because there are many people who report hit registration problems / lack of game responiveness in fps games, and they are searching for solutions. Some people know what the problem is and one the easiest solutions always was this:
As i said before, if the problem is severe the easy fix in the past was a phone call to your ISP's customer service and requesting one of these changes:

- putting you on fast path (instead of interleaved)
- switching to lower interleaving depth
- resseting DLM and its limitations on your line (temporary fix, lasting few days at best if you have a lot of errors)

...and once they confirm that they have done the thing you needed, after you hang up and launch the game, you can literally feel like you are playing a completely differenty game with perfect or near perfect hit registration. This was a real thing, and you can still do that with some ISP's in some countries.
People were also searching for alternative solutions using different routers (with different chips, particularly Broadcom chips), or custom router firmware that would allow them to set fast path by themselves (not possible) or alter interleaving depth via snr margin adjustment.

And as with everything, there are always sceptics, and people that are not affected by certain problems, so they neglect their existence or importance. But eventually the world catches up and sooner or later this problem will be studied and presented to the wider audience so they can better understand it.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 22 Oct 2017, 01:42

Sure. A fastpath line with 50ms latency is better than than an interleaved one with 20ms.

Sorry, that's not how it works. Latency is latency. How the packets are buffered doesn't play a role.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.