Im offering 50€ to whoever fixes my input lag in csgo

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
br00m

Im offering 50€ to whoever fixes my input lag in csgo

Post by br00m » 04 Jan 2018, 12:03

Im experiencing a small but noticable input lag in CSGO which I notice after I play some CSS or 1.6 and then get used to after a while. A lot of people told me they dont feel a difference in responsiveness between those games, but I do. I have Vsync disabled, am using rawinput 1 and get a minimum of 200 fps with my 4770k and gtx 970. Feel free to add me on steam if you have an idea:

EDIT: i tested my input lag in csgo and its only about 10ms, so my feeling for input lag is placebo!
Last edited by br00m on 11 May 2018, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

lexlazootin

Re: Im offering 50€ to whoever fixes my input lag in csgo

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Jan 2018, 18:56

Unless you can prove a difference it's very hard to fix it. unless you can do some test with a high speed camera it can be near impossible to figure out what's wrong.

Capping your fps and G-Sync can help sometimes.

Rud

Post by Rud » 03 Feb 2018, 17:03

lexlazootin wrote:Unless you can prove a difference it's very hard to fix it. unless you can do some test with a high speed camera it can be near impossible to figure out what's wrong.

Capping your fps and G-Sync can help sometimes.
phpBB [video]

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Feb 2018, 19:09

Thanks!

Limiting frame rate can add lag.
If you reduce your framerate 300fps down to 60fps, lag definitely happens.

That said, the cap-out input lag (hitting 144fps on a 144Hz FreeSync/GSYNC monitor) is a worse lag than the framecap lag.

So framecap is better than letting framerates slam against a display's max Hz. (Because during those moments, it suddenly gains a lag-increase effect -- VSYNC ON effect).

So frame capping is not universal fix-it-all advice: capping should only be used to avoid a worse problem (e.g. bigger lag).

That's why Blur Busters (and thanks to also our many forum members and contributors) have found the "Cap framerate slightly below your display refresh rate, for G-SYNC and FreeSync" advice. We even acknowledge caps add input lag, but caps can also eliminate a different, worse lag too. You have to use the right tool for the right job.

It also applies to the "Low-Lag VSYNC ON" situations (not applicable for CS:GO though), such as reducing emulator lag or reducing lag of 60fps-capped games (e.g. console ports) or fixing a worse microstutter, etc.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 03 Feb 2018, 21:46

That's completely normal and will look the same on all systems.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Feb 2018, 07:15

The windows mouse cursor (called a "hardware cursor") is completely unbuffered. It has a special render path on the GPU itself. It has its own overlay which is projected on top of the scanout frame buffer immediately, in real-time.

Games are at least double-buffered, so a software mouse cursor is usually 1 frame behind, together with the rest of the game.

So if you see the software cursor lagging 1 frame behind, that's perfect. If you see it lag more than 1 frame behind, then you have a lag issue.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

br00m

Post by br00m » 05 Feb 2018, 04:44

I actually got a 1000fps camera and will make a post soon! Rud regarding the video you posted: You filmed this in fullscreen windowed mode which adds input lag so this is not a proof.

Rud

Post by Rud » 29 Mar 2018, 06:22

br00m wrote:I actually got a 1000fps camera and will make a post soon! Rud regarding the video you posted: You filmed this in fullscreen windowed mode which adds input lag so this is not a proof.
I ran the game in full screen mode (no windowed mode).

open

Post by open » 29 Mar 2018, 10:11

The basic checklist:
Run in exclusive fullscreen mode if the game has it.

If you have to run in windowed then try using game mode in windows 10.

Vsync always off in game and your graphics card driver settings (nvidia control panel).

Using lower graphics settings can help alot especially if your cpu is doing its job faster than your gpu. Sometimes buffering at various points between the cpu sim and the images being completed and displayed can create delays. Its a good idea to get a program like gpuz and monitor your gpu usage in game. For competitive games you dont want the usage to be that close to 100%. 80% or lower is good. Gpu usage will not exactly tell you your rendering time however it can be used as an aproximation. So while the major effect of low usage will be to alieviate buffers overfilling, you will also get a minor effect of a ms or two off your input lag due to the images taking that much less time to render.

Those are the major general ones

Rud

Post by Rud » 30 Mar 2018, 00:33

These are general recommendations that are not relevant to this issue. I have no delay in the game cursor in all games, except for "csgo".
Intel "Core i7-2600", Kingston HyperX FURY Black Series [HX313C9FBK2/16] 16 GB, GTX970, SSD, Benq XL2411Z.

A similar effect is really possible to reproduce in the CSS - m_filter 1.