_DELAY_FLIP_BY_FLIPMETERING = less input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
br00m

_DELAY_FLIP_BY_FLIPMETERING = less input lag?

Post by br00m » 01 Feb 2018, 09:28

Someone claims that setting _DELAY_FLIP_BY_FLIPMETERING in the Nvidia Profile Inspector as frame rate limiter mode reduces input lag. Im doing some testing right now with my 1000fps camera but Im not satisfied with my data because it shows some inconsistencies. Has this been tested before?

Here is the link to the guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1270041177

Someone made a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77VR37F5cf0

And here is the reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensiv ... ag_nvidia/

Sparky

Re: _DELAY_FLIP_BY_FLIPMETERING = less inout lag

Post by Sparky » 01 Feb 2018, 11:34

Generally, any driver settings that improve stutter are going to make input lag worse. In this case though I'm guessing the setting does exactly nothing, because the driver framerate limiter is turned off.

As far as absolute latency goes, the best option is always going to be either uncapped, or an in game framerate cap.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: _DELAY_FLIP_BY_FLIPMETERING = less input lag?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Feb 2018, 15:21

Is this a stutter-reduction setting or a lag-reduction setting?

Software developers that intentionally delay a pageflip can reduce VSYNC ON input lag using the software developer formula that I've written about. But it requires the involvement of the game programmer, and it only helps VSYNC ON input lag.

Is this setting "_DELAY_FLIP_BY_FLIPMETERING" related to this?

I am not 100% sure, but the name of the setting sounds like "flip time interval measurement" followed by intentionally delaying the next input read to be closer to the next render-and-pageflip.

I suppose this would not work on a pre-existing game; but with intentional game developer programming for active pageflip-interval monitoring & intentional input-read-delays (closer to the next VSYNC interval) -- basically you monitor your pageflip interval & your rendertime intervals, and you strategically delay the next input read to reduce VSYNC ON lag by up to 1 frame. This would make stutter worse for major frametime variances, but would greatly reduce input lag when you can achieve consistent frame rates (e.g. reducing lag in emulators).

If lag actually reduces in a game, then that means the game probably was optimized to interact well with this setting, or somehow had an algorithm already in it that this flag benefits. (very game specific)

For measuring lag of changing graphics drivers settings, one can use the modified mouse + high speed video camera technique that Blur Busters invented for the original GSYNC Preview #1 -- now a few websites use this technique.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!