Buy guide (monitor in my country)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
zigo

Buy guide (monitor in my country)

Post by zigo » 18 Feb 2018, 10:30

hello first thing i would like to say is please helpp and SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH ok???i am still learning NOT ALL PPL SPEAK ENG AIGHT??? ok lets start
i am a very competitive player i want to WIN and if i loose i dont want to blame my monitor cause now i have a shitty 720p monitor and i bairly can see enemies. so what i want is for say in rainbow six siege where peakers advantage is huge i want to see the enemie before they see my and i good monitor with low responce time will give my this advantage.i live in a 3rd world contry and there are t alot of monitors around here but i found 2 shops that sell these monitors
BENQ 2540 and 2730 and 2735
Asus XG258Q it is XG NOT PG i dont know the difference so tell me if you know
so i play rainbow six siege csgo and pubg
i dont care about price.first i thought i should buy the 1440p monitor then i change my mind since there is no point since it wont give me any comp advantage like i said when i peak i want to see my enemie before he see me and i want overall a good experience
so i decided to either buy the 2540 or XG258g i want the one with the lowest response time and input lag between these 2
Thanks and sorry again for bad english T.T

mello

Re: buy guide

Post by mello » 18 Feb 2018, 11:47

There is an ongoing misconception that a monitor can give you huge advantage over other players (or using any other gaming gear for that matter). If you REALLY want to have an advantage over other players (including seeing enemies before they can see you), make sure that your internet connection is solid and is not bottlenecking you, because when people are having problems in FPS games in majority of cases the culprit is internet connection, not the monitor, not the hardware or gaming gear u are using. The problem is how your packets are handled within your ISPs network. And people with various problems related to an inconsistent FPS gaming experience are searching for solutions in the wrong place (aka buying new hardware, monitors and gaming gear).

First thing you need to understand. Internet speed / bandwidth is irrelevant when it comes to FPS games.
So 100Mb connection is not necessarily better than 10Mb connection, at least as far as FPS gaming is concerned.

About your ISP and internet package. Do a research and choose ISP which will give you this:

- business package with packet priority handling in the network and with nrt-VBR
(because packet priority handling is not available for regular customers)
- disabled DLM on your profile that is assigned to your customer account
(because DLM interferes with UDP packets that FPS games are using)
- if DLM can't be disabled, at least ability to choose interleaving depth (use the lowest possible depth)

If you are luckly and it can be done in your country, then you will have a real and tangible advantage over everyone that you playing against (no matter what your monitor or hardware is) or at least you will play on equal terms against players who have perfect internet connections. And it will cost you much less than investing in high end gaming monitor and gaming gear. And after this, and only after this, you might want to start searching for further improvements in monitor/hardware/gaming gear area, that might give you an additional and slight advantage over other players.

zigo

Post by zigo » 18 Feb 2018, 12:38

mello wrote:There is an ongoing misconception that a monitor can give you huge advantage over other players (or using any other gaming gear for that matter). If you REALLY want to have an advantage over other players (including seeing enemies before they can see you), make sure that your internet connection is solid and is not bottlenecking you, because when people are having problems in FPS games in majority of cases the culprit is internet connection, not the monitor, not the hardware or gaming gear u are using. The problem is how your packets are handled within your ISPs network. And people with various problems related to an inconsistent FPS gaming experience are searching for solutions in the wrong place (aka buying new hardware, monitors and gaming gear).

First thing you need to understand. Internet speed / bandwidth is irrelevant when it comes to FPS games.
So 100Mb connection is not necessarily better than 10Mb connection, at least as far as FPS gaming is concerned.

About your ISP and internet package. Do a research and choose ISP which will give you this:

- business package with packet priority handling in the network and with nrt-VBR
(because packet priority handling is not available for regular customers)
- disabled DLM on your profile that is assigned to your customer account
(because DLM interferes with UDP packets that FPS games are using)
- if DLM can't be disabled, at least ability to choose interleaving depth (use the lowest possible depth)

If you are luckly and it can be done in your country, then you will have a real and tangible advantage over everyone that you playing against (no matter what your monitor or hardware is) or at least you will play on equal terms against players who have perfect internet connections. And it will cost you much less than investing in high end gaming monitor and gaming gear. And after this, and only after this, you might want to start searching for further improvements in monitor/hardware/gaming gear area, that might give you an additional and slight advantage over other players.
Sir ty so much but you acly did t answer my question,you seem like to know alot about these stuff so answer me plz and ty again my connection is very solid i get 40 pings in almost all games

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: help plz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2018, 15:38

zigo wrote:i am a very competitive player i want to WIN and if i loose i dont want to blame my monitor cause now i have a shitty 720p monitor and i bairly can see enemies. so what i want is for say in rainbow six siege where peakers advantage is huge i want to see the enemie before they see my and i good monitor with low responce time will give my this advantage.i live in a 3rd world contry and there are t alot of monitors around here but i found 2 shops that sell these monitors
BENQ 2540 and 2730 and 2735
Asus XG258Q it is XG NOT PG i dont know the difference so tell me if you know
so i play rainbow six siege csgo and pubg
i dont care about price.first i thought i should buy the 1440p monitor then i change my mind since there is no point since it wont give me any comp advantage like i said when i peak i want to see my enemie before he see me and i want overall a good experience
so i decided to either buy the 2540 or XG258g i want the one with the lowest response time and input lag between these 2
Thanks and sorry again for bad english T.T
ASUS ROG Strix XG258Q - 24.5" 1920x1080 TN 240Hz FreeSync
ASUS ROG PG258Q - 24.5" 1920x1080 TN 240Hz G-SYNC
BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 - 24.5" 1920x1080 TN 240Hz FreeSync
BenQ ZOWIE XL2730Z - 27" 2560x1440 TN 144Hz FreeSync
BenQ ZOWIE XL2735 - 27" 2560x1440 TN 144Hz with DyAc

Your considerations will be:
-- Monitor size 27" versus 25"
-- Higher framerates means less lag (even at framerates above Hz), so you may prefer 1080p over 1440p

From a professional competitive perspective, I'd steer towards the 240Hz monitors on this list. I am currently most familiar with the Zowie XL2540 having had more hands-on with that, so I can trust that one the most. I haven't tried the ASUS models yet (I should be able to by this summer). 1080p gives you the higher framerate (less lag), and you get 240Hz.

One other alternative is finding a 144Hz 1080p monitor, since some eSports players still swear by that refresh rate and resolution because it's more mature (well-tested, tried-proven) and there's talk of some bugs in certain models of 240Hz monitors. However, since you're in a country where your choice is limited -- forced to choose between "1440p 144Hz" versus "1080p 240Hz" -- I'd definitely steer towards the 240Hz models.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mello

Post by mello » 19 Feb 2018, 05:47

zigo wrote: Sir ty so much but you acly did t answer my question,you seem like to know alot about these stuff so answer me plz and ty again my connection is very solid i get 40 pings in almost all games
Ping is also irrelevant when it comes to FPS gaming experience. Internet connection might perform better (as far as FPS gaming is concerned) at ~50 ping than at ~30 ping for example. Most people are not aware of that (actually it might be 99.99% of gamers around the world, so almost everyone, including some experienced and very knowledgeable people on this forums) but what matters the most is how your internet connection is performing, which is not necessarily releated to your bandwidth and ping times. Internet connection is the single most important thing when it comes to FPS gaming performence, not the monitor or hardware that you are using. You might not be aware of that, and you might be trying to blame other things like monitor or hardware for less than optimal gaming performence, especially if you are or want to play competitively.

From what you said:
zigo wrote: i am a very competitive player i want to WIN and if i loose i dont want to blame my monitor cause now i have a shitty 720p monitor and i bairly can see enemies.
If you can't see your enemies, and if you know that your skill is not an issue here, then it is definetly not a monitor problem here... What you describe might and will happen when your ISPs network is getting congested for example or when your line has a lot of errors (despite good ping and bandwidth) which will then turn on something called interleaving depth (error correction, artificial delay for the packets) which will have a negative impact on your FPS gaming performence. This might cause problems such as:

- enemies will see you faster than you can see them (so they will react faster)
- hit registration problems despite perfect aiming and recoil control
zigo wrote: so what i want is for say in rainbow six siege where peakers advantage is huge i want to see the enemie before they see me and a good monitor with low responce time will give my this advantage.
Unfortunately this is wrong assumption, and even if you will buy a best monitor for fps gaming (240hz + GSYNC) you might end up disappointed. You might improve your reflex and reaction time slightly by increasing FPS and HZ but it will not help you when enemies are able to see before you can see them, and especially not when your shots are registering properly.
zigo wrote: ... like i said when i peak i want to see my enemie before they see me and i want overall a good experience
If this is what you really want, then following my advice (first response in this thread) is the way to go, even if you "think" that your internet connection is solid and is working perfectly fine. This is because most people don't really understand how internet connection work and how it directly affects on-line fps games.

And about choosing the right monitor, both 2540 or PG258 are perfectly fine.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Feb 2018, 12:24

Hello zigo! :)

One thread please :)
Duplicate threads are discouraged.
I've merged your two threads into one.

mello's advice is also very good (except for telling you not to replace 720p), I suggest heeding it too.
Also, read my reply too, I suggest 1080p 240Hz instead of 1440p 144Hz, since 1080p gives you better frame rates (less lag), if your priority is professional competitive.

Regardless of Internet connection, a good gaming-league monitor will often perform better than a laggy 720p monitor (I've seen many 720p monitors with 40ms display lag!) -- the lag reductions from a crappy monitor are significant (almost as big as your ping) -- but you should also heed your Internet connection too. Being in a third world country as you've already said, your Internet connection at 40ms ping is probably extremely impressive by any third-world-country standards, and you might not be able to get anything better! (I get 17ms myself, here in Canada, but many here get above 40ms ping!). It probably cost you a fortune, good Internet connections are not cheap in many parts of Africa. Because of that, I imagine you already have a top-of-the-line Internet based on what you've said. But if cost is no object, having two simultaneous Internet connections can be quite handy (a cable and a DSL, or fiber) which allows you to pick-and-choose based on lowest lag to your different favourite server(s)! You should also check ping stability (e.g. how much it jitters around). I don't know of any 720p gaming monitors, which means your 720p monitor is probably also an additional weak link too because I rarely see very-low-lag 720p monitors -- they are often based off televison panels, and they often use older tech which isn't always optimized for low lag. So because you said "720p" (also probably 60Hz!) recommending you to upgrade monitor is a no-brainer, might as well knock-out a potentially hugely major weak link.

Your game is only as good as your weak link -- and you probably have multiple weak links that you need to fix.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!