I tested my inputlag in CSGO and CSS with a 1000fps camera

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
br00m

I tested my inputlag in CSGO and CSS with a 1000fps camera

Post by br00m » 25 Feb 2018, 04:31

CSS always felt more responsive than CSGO to me and I was on a mission to prove it. Surprisingly both games have an average input lag of 9-12ms for me when I tested it with a 1000fps camera as seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j655QH8eP2E

I had several theories why thats the case:

Theory 1: There is more weapon sway in CSGO (cl_wpn_sway_scale 1.6) in contrast to CSS (cl_wpn_sway_scale 1.0) which gives a feeling of sluggishness.
So I went on an offline server in CSGO with sv_cheats 1 and set the sway to 0 but STILL it felt delayed.

Theory 2: CSGO has mouse smoothing like the command m_filter 1 in CSS which you cant turn off
When I turned mouse smooting on in CSS it didnt feel any more delayed. This is the console explanation of m_filter: Mouse filtering (set this to 1 to average the mouse over 2 frames).

Theory 3: it is pure placebo
Definitely possible.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by br00m on 27 Feb 2018, 04:00, edited 2 times in total.

Haste

Re: I tested my inputlag in CSGO and CSGO with a 1000fps cam

Post by Haste » 25 Feb 2018, 10:46

"This video is unavailable."
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

br00m

Post by br00m » 25 Feb 2018, 10:53

should work now!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 25 Feb 2018, 11:48

Expectation bias like everyone else.

I though CS:S felt good as well and tested it with a 1000fps with the same results. People are very stupid and very easily fooled by the dumbest things. (I count myself in this list :lol:) but props to you for actually testing it, it gets very annoying with all these claims but people are not willing to prove anything.

br00m

Post by br00m » 27 Feb 2018, 03:46

interesting! i mean people like flood already proved csgo has low input lag but i always thought that MAYBE my csgo because of settings/hardware doesnt.

what were your input lag measurements for csgo?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: I tested my inputlag in CSGO and CSS with a 1000fps came

Post by RealNC » 27 Feb 2018, 10:13

For what it's worth, it never felt different to me :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Feb 2018, 11:55

I need to look at the videos, but what is your monitor model?

Certain VA monitors (with slow overdrive for dark greys) sometimes have several milliseconds more lag in dark rooms than bright rooms. Playing a darker game can then feel more laggy. Even though the color partially changes in almost same time in a high speed video, dark greys still take longer to become fully bright, it can take longer for a human to react to a slow-ghosting colors.

But yes, it can be placebo.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Feb 2018, 05:33

Here are some results i got with CS:GO, sorry the results are all weird and not labeled extremely well.

This one i was comparing cs:go against HL only to find that the shooting mechanic in CS:GO is tied to your tickrate.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =301471435
64 tick would have a 0-15ms delay and a 128tick would have a 0-7ms delay. I figured this out when i realized the problem was starting to go away when i was achieving 1000fps+ causing the game to speed up. (1.5k fps = 1.5x speed up) i tested with mouse movement instead and found it to be identical to my HL results.

This one was checking the latency with G-Sync
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
I got a bit lazy and didn't really get many results :P i did it more for myself and didn't really expect anyone to see these.

br00m

Post by br00m » 28 Feb 2018, 21:28

my monitor is a benq 2411z

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Mar 2018, 00:35

Yes, the server ticks can define the difference in response feel -- high speed cameras often doesn't easily capture the server ticks behaviours, only the local lag behaviours. It's possible CS:GO servers feel lower lag than CSS because the high-tick-Hz servers are more often with CS:GO.

I'm not sure how netplay affects this "calculus", but this could be a question to ask Battle(non)sense (Who wrote a guest article for Blur Busters) -- maybe send an inquiry (or on Twitter)?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!