2018 and no answers??

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
zigo

2018 and no answers??

Post by zigo » 02 Mar 2018, 08:50

i thought this site was the best but it seems like no one even on this site know T.T
shopping for a new monitor i am very competitive i want the best monitor price does t rly matter but it gotta be with in this list
i mainly play csgo r6 and pubg
monitors are benq 2540 2730 2735
asus xg258 not pg but xg
plz help me i want to best one

Sparky

Re: 2018 and no answers??

Post by Sparky » 02 Mar 2018, 09:33

Well, I don't think anyone here owns more than one of those specific monitors, and it's usually impractical to compare latency results from two different test setups, so there's not much of a direct comparison we can make unless you find a site that measures the latency of more than one of those monitors.

Also, g-sync should only be considered in combination with an Nvidia graphics card, and freesync should only be considered in combination with an AMD graphics card. There are literally hundreds of monitors that span the feature set of the monitors you've listed. It's not practical for us to research all of them, and frankly you haven't provided any motivation for us to do your research for you.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Mar 2018, 10:23

Blur Busters has "big answers" coming later in several new areas in 2018. Just keep tuned.

There are so many great Blur Busters projects actively in the pipeline.
Working 10x as much as I used to, on major Blur Busters projects that I have not revealed yet!

However, it is true: Practically nobody can afford the house mortgage that it would take to buy up every single monitor in all of the monitor lists -- and the large staff needed to test each one fully (at 1 full-time workweek per monitor) -- there are now almost ~200 known monitors capable of triple-digit refresh rates (either directly or via overclock). Lots of moola! Sites like RTings are bigger and more mainstream than the niche/elite corner of BlurBusters so they can buy up a lot more than we do -- however, lots of work is under way to ramp up tests!

If one can't wait for test results: Just look for the UFO! Several sites use our testing inventions. At the moment, it is mainly other sites that uses several of our test inventions (pursuit camera, TestUFO, etc) to test monitors. Many allies like TFTCentral which uses BlurBusters testing techniques, also publish quite useful results. Anytime you see our UFO, that mean they're adopted BlurBusters testing techniques.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 04 Mar 2018, 03:03

tftcentral ftw
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

KindOldRaven

Post by KindOldRaven » 07 Apr 2018, 07:16

No such thing as the 'best'. It depends on what you want. Perfect monitors don't exist and it's perfectly possible to buy 5 of the exact same type and only have 1 or 2 that perform adequately due to the panel lottery effect. That's what everyone here does know ;p If there clearly was a 'best' between those, then a simple google search would've resulted in hundreds of people saying the same thing, with reviews to back them up ;)

And don't worry, despite all the measuring: not one person on these forums (including you) is sensitive or ''good'' enough to actually perform better or worse on any of those panels. 99% will still be practise, practise, practise, practise, genetics (or 'talent') and more practice. The average pro at whatever game you're going to main will destroy any and all of us using a simple 60hz or first gen 120hz monitor even if we're playing on 240hz CRT panels with perfect everything.

mello

Post by mello » 07 Apr 2018, 10:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Blur Busters has "big answers" coming later in several new areas in 2018. Just keep tuned.

There are so many great Blur Busters projects actively in the pipeline.
Working 10x as much as I used to, on major Blur Busters projects that I have not revealed yet!
Not sure if anyone has thought about it but here is a little request. It would be nice to see a input lag comparison between exactly the same monitor, for example 3 or 5 of the same units. I want to know if there is or if there might be a difference between different units from the same manufacturer or how bad panel lottery can affect input lag tests. Basically, we need to know if there is a significant difference or if there is not, and all panels are calibrated properly and their performance is pretty much identical.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 07 Apr 2018, 11:13

I can answer that without testing. That would be like saying one CPU would have more latency then another of the same CPU. It doesn't really work like that.

mello

Post by mello » 07 Apr 2018, 11:34

You haven't really answered my question. I know that there are differences between units, what i want to know is how bad it can get (performance / input lag wise), depending on the unit tested. If the difference is marginal / statistically insignificant, then its fine, but if there is a big discrepancy in performance / input lag between different monitor units then:

- the answer to question "which monitor is best" (cs go / fps games, where ppl care about input lag) would always be: it doesn't matter
- input lag tests and graphs where different monitors are compared between one another would be useless (for example input lag tests from tftcentral)

That is why i think this is important. Of course it would require buying 3-5 units of the same monitor for comparison and testing purpose.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 07 Apr 2018, 15:18

As long as the monitors are working to spec, have same firmware version, and same settings, they'll have the same latency. If they're not working to spec you might get frameskipping. Per unit variance(silicon lottery) might change how high you can overclock a monitor, but it's not going to change anything at stock settings.

It's like having two engines of the same model rated for 7k RPM. You might be able to push one to 8.2k rpm and the other to 8.5k rpm before they fail, but you're not expected to run them like that, and they'll output the same power at the same RPM.

mello

Post by mello » 08 Apr 2018, 02:20

Sparky wrote:As long as the monitors are working to spec, have same firmware version, and same settings, they'll have the same latency. If they're not working to spec you might get frameskipping. Per unit variance(silicon lottery) might change how high you can overclock a monitor, but it's not going to change anything at stock settings.
Has it been proven ? AFAIK, no. Sorry, but i can't take your word for it, just because of panel lottery, and i don't mean overclocking capabilities. There are known problems such as backlight bleed, rtc overshoot / overdrive issues, checkerboard pattern / inversion artifacts, that will vary between exactly the same monitor models. This is why people are exchanging their units, when certain problems are apparent. I have even seen problems such as room temperature / humidity (cold / low temperature) affecting panel refresh rate that caused blurry text / flashing horizontal lines. So at this point it is hard to believe that latency / pixel response time is exactly the same for all monitor units (same model & manufacturer) and is not affected by certain problems and situations that i have just described above. It simply wouldn't make any sense, unless of course Chief can enlighten me once again =)