Input lag test: msi mode vs legacy

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
MatrixQW

Re: Input lag test: msi mode vs legacy

Post by MatrixQW » 15 Feb 2019, 15:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:So, in other words, it can have a Rube Goldberg effect in reducing input lag.
Reduced cpu usage doesn't necessarily mean it will give more fps in games. The operating system could actually work more efficiently without that translating into the game fps.
What i'm trying to point out is people confuse performance with input lag.
We are talking about input lag that affects games and these tweaks will do nothing like when we turn vsync on/off.
I just saw a blog with more than 100 tweaks to tune the operating system for gamers.
I take my chances saying that those things overall will not result in lower input lag or even a 2fps increase.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:The days of simpler good old fashioned DOOM and Quake timedemos of the past, and refining a system until those numbers are maxed out. (Those were simpler days in a way!)
Last time i remember a responsive system was with Win98SE, pentium3 and 3dfx voodoo3.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Feb 2019, 16:55

MatrixQW wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:So, in other words, it can have a Rube Goldberg effect in reducing input lag.
Reduced cpu usage doesn't necessarily mean it will give more fps in games. The operating system could actually work more efficiently without that translating into the game fps.
What i'm trying to point out is people confuse performance with input lag.
We are talking about input lag that affects games and these tweaks will do nothing like when we turn vsync on/off.
I just saw a blog with more than 100 tweaks to tune the operating system for gamers.
I take my chances saying that those things overall will not result in lower input lag or even a 2fps increase.
Mostly just semantics at this stage, but the input lag chain is a huge one.

Let's consider button to photons -- the entire lag chain.

Even this diagram is oversimplified:

See, still complex despite being a heavily simplified diagram. Whether it's USB cable latency, or a monitor processing latency or a pixel response latency (very slow GtG adds lag before photons hits human eyeballs). I even omit lots of subtleties such as mouse antibounce filtering latency. Or subtleties like how different games process input reads relative to rendering. Those are complexities beyond scope of this diagram. But the diagram generalizes the fact that latency occurs at many different parts of the "button-to-photons" chain.

Within this, there's also frametime latency. The amount of time it takes to generate 1 frame of graphics (as a co-operation between CPU and GPU).

Frametime latency is one tiny piece of the latency chain.
-- If performance improves, frametime latency can go down. For example, a game runs 110fps instead of 100fps.
-- The higher framerate can often mean frametime latency has gone down since input reads now occur 1/110sec before finishing rendering the new frame, instead of 1/100sec before finishing rendering the new frame, because input reads are often synchronized to frame rendering.
-- So better performance = higher framerate = lower latency = in many games.

It depends on the game and how it executes the input reads from the input devices, and how quickly "button-to-photons" occur.

So.... That's why I call it "Rube Goldberg". The input latency of "button-to-photons" is a complex chain. It's so complex, it's like Rube Goldberg.

Often, better framerate performance = lower latency

Certainly, not always. But it's very commonly the case.

(Exceptions apply, such as SLI, as doubling graphics cards doesn't typically reduce frametime latency, but that's a whole different Pandora Box to explain altogether.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Feb 2019, 17:49

The effect MSI has on applications should be exactly zero. However, if you happen to have a buggy driver, this can have an effect. But this can go either way; some drivers can be buggy in MSI mode, some can be buggy with it off. So you can't say that enabling MSI has benefits. It can be that disabling it might have benefits.

In most cases, you will see no difference at all. I did run benchmarks in the past testing both, and there was no difference whatsoever in performance or DPC latencies. Which, again, might not be true with buggy drivers. The usual suspects seem to be NIC and audio drivers.

(Note that "buggy drivers" might actually mean that the driver is fine, but the hardware isn't working correctly in MSI or legacy mode, which in turn can cause the driver to not perform well.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2019, 04:05

Regardless, framerate changes are reliable indicators of performance changes regardless of tweaks (other than MSI)mode)

So in other words, could be...

...Zero increase in framerate = zero effect on lag.

...Reliable increase in framerate (some bug got fixed) = there can be an effect on lag.

Still quite a rube-goldbergian effect-for-effect chain.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!