For non gsync and non freesync users best option

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ljubinko

Re: For non gsync and non freesync users best option

Post by ljubinko » 17 Mar 2018, 04:25

Chief is right, i found in cs go its best to play on vsync off uncapped fps, if i use enhanced sync without cap in amd drivers game badly stutter and lag, also stutter if i use enhanced sync and cap in game, and third best option after vsync off is enhanced sync + rtss fps limit i use 2x refresh rate with fractional limit in rtss 59.872 x 2=119.744 in this case game has low stutter and minimal lag ;)

ljubinko

Post by ljubinko » 18 Mar 2018, 10:29

i tested the frametimes and fps in cs go with the frafs bench viewer and it looks like the chief and the realnc are right, for the 60hz standard monitors i got better results with vsync on ingame + rtss fps limit 59.872 than with the Enhanced sync + rtss fps limit 59.872 + vsync disabled ingame, so i would recommend vsync on + rtss fractional cap as described in low lag vsync article, also game is smoother and less stutter for other 60fps games need's to be tested. Here is my results in frafs, fps is more consistent with vsync on.

Image Image

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Mar 2018, 12:41

ljubinko wrote:i tested the frametimes and fps in cs go with the frafs bench viewer and it looks like the chief and the realnc are right, for the 60hz standard monitors i got better results with vsync on ingame + rtss fps limit 59.872 than with the Enhanced sync + rtss fps limit 59.872 + vsync disabled ingame, so i would recommend vsync on + rtss fractional cap as described in low lag vsync article, also game is smoother and less stutter for other 60fps games need's to be tested. Here is my results in frafs, fps is more consistent with vsync on.
[charts]
Nice, you're doing variants of the Low-Lag VSYNC ON technique.
Thank you for posting!
ljubinko wrote:Chief is right, i found in cs go its best to play on vsync off uncapped fps, if i use enhanced sync without cap in amd drivers game badly stutter and lag, also stutter if i use enhanced sync and cap in game, and third best option after vsync off is enhanced sync + rtss fps limit i use 2x refresh rate with fractional limit in rtss 59.872 x 2=119.744 in this case game has low stutter and minimal lag ;)
Very interesting approach!

With AMD Enhanced Sync and NVIDIA Fast Sync, using the 2x Hz limit (120fps @ 60Hz) also works well to reduce input lag even further, while still achieving the same motion (provided you're continually doing 120fps during 60Hz).

120fps@60Hz Enhanced Sync skips the waiting-for-vsync effect, halving the worst-case lag to half a refresh cycle (average: 1/4th refresh cycle lag). By throwing away half of frames in exchange for getting further reduced input lag in a VSYNC ON situation.

It can probably also work for framerates at 3x or 4x refresh, though minor microstuttering may start showing if it starts to get into the gametime-fluctuation margin, but overkill framerates compenstes for that too. It's a workable option for ultralow-lag VSYNC ON for people who truly despise stutters/tearing but want to competitively play with VSYNC ON.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Mar 2018, 01:50

I would try to see if your monitor can be coaxed into supporting 75Hz at least. Many can. Been using my 60Hz monitor years ago at 77Hz. Makes a good difference both in input lag and motion fluidity/clarity. 15Hz or 17Hz more doesn't sound like a big deal, but it actually makes a difference.

For this to work you need the AMD Pixel Patcher (to allow higher than 64Hz over SL-DVI) and CRU (to add the higher refresh rate mode.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ljubinko

Post by ljubinko » 19 Mar 2018, 05:17

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
ljubinko wrote:i tested the frametimes and fps in cs go with the frafs bench viewer and it looks like the chief and the realnc are right, for the 60hz standard monitors i got better results with vsync on ingame + rtss fps limit 59.872 than with the Enhanced sync + rtss fps limit 59.872 + vsync disabled ingame, so i would recommend vsync on + rtss fractional cap as described in low lag vsync article, also game is smoother and less stutter for other 60fps games need's to be tested. Here is my results in frafs, fps is more consistent with vsync on.
[charts]
Nice, you're doing variants of the Low-Lag VSYNC ON technique.
Thank you for posting!
ljubinko wrote:Chief is right, i found in cs go its best to play on vsync off uncapped fps, if i use enhanced sync without cap in amd drivers game badly stutter and lag, also stutter if i use enhanced sync and cap in game, and third best option after vsync off is enhanced sync + rtss fps limit i use 2x refresh rate with fractional limit in rtss 59.872 x 2=119.744 in this case game has low stutter and minimal lag ;)
Very interesting approach!

With AMD Enhanced Sync and NVIDIA Fast Sync, using the 2x Hz limit (120fps @ 60Hz) also works well to reduce input lag even further, while still achieving the same motion (provided you're continually doing 120fps during 60Hz).

120fps@60Hz Enhanced Sync skips the waiting-for-vsync effect, halving the worst-case lag to half a refresh cycle (average: 1/4th refresh cycle lag). By throwing away half of frames in exchange for getting further reduced input lag in a VSYNC ON situation.

It can probably also work for framerates at 3x or 4x refresh, though minor microstuttering may start showing if it starts to get into the gametime-fluctuation margin, but overkill framerates compenstes for that too. It's a workable option for ultralow-lag VSYNC ON for people who truly despise stutters/tearing but want to competitively play with VSYNC ON.
Thanks Chief, i used low lag vsync on method and for me its better than Enhanced sync on 60fps games i used cs go only for test, but this game is best to play with vsync off and uncapped fps
RealNC wrote:I would try to see if your monitor can be coaxed into supporting 75Hz at least. Many can. Been using my 60Hz monitor years ago at 77Hz. Makes a good difference both in input lag and motion fluidity/clarity. 15Hz or 17Hz more doesn't sound like a big deal, but it actually makes a difference.

For this to work you need the AMD Pixel Patcher (to allow higher than 64Hz over SL-DVI) and CRU (to add the higher refresh rate mode.)
RealNC, i have low end gpu asus r7 250 1gb its hard for my gpu to constantly doing even 60fps on old games i play mostly older games, my monitor support 75hz with overclocking but i think there is no point to do that for older games.

ljubinko

Post by ljubinko » 20 Mar 2018, 12:00

RealNC, i overclocked monitor with you'r sugestion to 75hz with cru and measured frametimes with frafs bench viewer, and results it's not bad with some vertical spikes (microstutters) only few large vertical spikes, here is chart

Thanks again.

Timobkg

Post by Timobkg » 29 Mar 2018, 14:46

RealNC wrote:I would try to see if your monitor can be coaxed into supporting 75Hz at least. Many can. Been using my 60Hz monitor years ago at 77Hz. Makes a good difference both in input lag and motion fluidity/clarity. 15Hz or 17Hz more doesn't sound like a big deal, but it actually makes a difference.

I just tried this with CRU bumping my monitors up to 75Hz, and I think it introduced some flickering or something. All I know is that it physically hurt my eyes to look at my monitors until I reset it back to 60Hz.

ljubinko

Post by ljubinko » 29 Mar 2018, 16:22

I tested frame times with afterburner and rtss for cs go to prove how good is low lag vsync on trick. This time i tested vsync off + rtss fps limit 62 + ingame vsync disabled vs rtss fps limit fractional 59.873 + ingame vsync double buffered.

vsync off + rtss fps limit 62 + ingame vsync disabled
rtss fps limit fractional 59.873 + ingame vsync double buffered
Like you see rtss fps limit fractional 59.873 + ingame vsync double buffered has lower spikes around 10ms, highest frame times is 53ms other spikes is lower than 50, that not too bad for 60hz monitor and overall gameplay is smothest with no noticable stutter.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Mar 2018, 16:35

Thanks for the post, and following up with some rather interesting results!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!