HUNTING for the solution for this interesting problem

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
A Solid lad

HUNTING for the solution for this interesting problem

Post by A Solid lad » 03 Nov 2018, 20:31

(Repost... becasuse I got no replies on the alliedmodders forum...alliedMODDERs of all places.
If they didn't reply, what am I hoping for here, right? Well... MY HOPE WILL NEVER DIE TU DU TU TU DU TU DU)

I don't know whether or not you've encountered this phenomenon, but when you have an fps which exceeds 1249 in a source engine game (css in this example), the game will start glitching out on you.
It will start to stutter and will be pretty much unplayable, until your fps drops below 1249.
The fps counter in the net_graph will cap out at 1249, even if you have 2000+ fps, which shadowplay's counter displays without a problem.

This is very inconvenient for me, since I aim much better with an uncapped framerate, but I have an i7 8700k which many times, produces above 1249 fps in CS:S.
Playing counter strike source, I have two options:
1, Setting an fps cap and performing badly ingame.
2, Underclocking my CPU whenever I want to play CS:S to avoid getting too much fps.

I have accepted these facts a long time ago... UP UNTIL RECENTLY!
When I was casually testing sourcemod plugins on my community server and I set fps_max 0 in my (client) console before connecting to it, and BAM.
2000+ fps on dust2, no stutter, butter smooth game, and the fps counter in net_graph displayed the correct fps for the first time ever!

Luckily I've made a video about it, and I'll leave the link below.
I wasn't this hyped about this, or even focused on it at the time of recording, because I thought that I somehow managed to configure my server in a way that permits this behaviour permanently... I was wrong.
No matter what I did the next day with the server files or my own client config, I couldn't replicate the situation.
But it must be replicable...somehow.

I've searched the internet to no avail... there's very few forum posts which even mention the high fps glitching of source, and none (that I could find), talking about how it can be fixed.
Is there a fix which I accidentally did on that day when the net_graph showed the correct fps even above 1249, and the game was perfectly smooth?

Link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP9SSncAOKk
Last edited by A Solid lad on 26 Dec 2018, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

lexlazootin

Re: HUNTING for the solution for this interesting problem

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Nov 2018, 01:08

I don't recall ever having a problem with high fps in any source game above 1000 like that, the only issue was in local servers were the game would speed up if you went past 1000fps.

Are you sure it's not specifically something to do with your PC? Graphics card setting in NVCP? possibly disabling g-sync?, Xbox app, Some other app?

Maybe disabling all startup apps in task manager and/or disabling all non-microsoft apps in msconfig could possibly fix your issue.

Although the latency difference between 1000-2000 fps is at max 0.5ms so capping might just be easier. I won't be able to check for a few days but I'll test 1000fps+ when i get back but i really don't remember having a issue like this.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Nov 2018, 11:10

No idea. But if you're looking to have FPS not be too high, and you're on NVidia, have you tried using SGSSAA? That should produce an FPS drop. I guarantee FPS will tank if you use 8xSGSSAA. So try 4x.

"0x000000C0" should be the default AA bit for this.

(I assume you know how to do this in Inspector. If not, I can guide you through it.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 04 Nov 2018, 11:45

RealNC wrote:No idea. But if you're looking to have FPS not be too high, and you're on NVidia, have you tried using SGSSAA? That should produce an FPS drop. I guarantee FPS will tank if you use 8xSGSSAA. So try 4x.

"0x000000C0" should be the default AA bit for this.

(I assume you know how to do this in Inspector. If not, I can guide you through it.)
Thank you for your suggestion!
However, I want to reproduce exactly what's in the video, that is, 1249+ fps shown in the net_graph! For scienceee! :D

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 04 Nov 2018, 11:51

lexlazootin wrote:I don't recall ever having a problem with high fps in any source game above 1000 like that, the only issue was in local servers were the game would speed up if you went past 1000fps.

Are you sure it's not specifically something to do with your PC? Graphics card setting in NVCP? possibly disabling g-sync?, Xbox app, Some other app?

Maybe disabling all startup apps in task manager and/or disabling all non-microsoft apps in msconfig could possibly fix your issue.

Although the latency difference between 1000-2000 fps is at max 0.5ms so capping might just be easier. I won't be able to check for a few days but I'll test 1000fps+ when i get back but i really don't remember having a issue like this.
I'm not even doing this to gain an advantage at this point... I'm just really curious.
I don't think it's related to my PC or Windows, since I've had this behaviour in CS:S with many different PC configs and Windows installs...BUT one thing was always constant: my user config! (autoexec.cfg)
I'll delete it, and do an -autoconfig right away!

Yes, if you could test if more than 1249 fps is being properly shown in your net_graph, that would be really great, thank you in advance! :mrgreen:

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 04 Nov 2018, 12:57

Tested again, with -autoconfig, on both dxlevel 81 and 9+ and it still happens. FPS meter in net_graph caps out @1249... couldn't reproduce the events of the video.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 10 Nov 2018, 01:19

Yea, looks like you were right. it does cause issues when running 1250+fps on a online server, local server will just speedup the game like in CS:GO and some versions of HL. it happens obviously because they physics to fps or a multiplier that goes out of wack when you reach 1250fps+ causing the server to think you're speedhacking and preventing you from moving to quick.

It's interesting because later versions of HL fixed this issue and only earlier versions will speedup past 1000fps.

Yea, it's interesting to know how you did it. Obviously you tricked it into working 'correctly' somehow but I'm not sure how you did. :P

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 15 Nov 2018, 16:42

lexlazootin wrote:Yea, looks like you were right. it does cause issues when running 1250+fps on a online server, local server will just speedup the game like in CS:GO and some versions of HL. it happens obviously because they physics to fps or a multiplier that goes out of wack when you reach 1250fps+ causing the server to think you're speedhacking and preventing you from moving to quick.

It's interesting because later versions of HL fixed this issue and only earlier versions will speedup past 1000fps.

Yea, it's interesting to know how you did it. Obviously you tricked it into working 'correctly' somehow but I'm not sure how you did. :P
I have no idea how I did it either...

Nemayu

Post by Nemayu » 25 Dec 2018, 15:00

Maybe it's as simple and stupid as use command:
set fps_max 0
in one exact moment while game is loading. Try using this command in similar condition as last time. Maybe some processes need to start at locked FPS and while still loading you force others to be fps unlocked and it works this way.

If you provide legit CS:S installator and step by step instruction I can spend some time setting fps limiters in random moments but does 4690k+gtx1060 provide enough FPS?

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 26 Dec 2018, 06:40

Nemayu wrote:Maybe it's as simple and stupid as use command:
set fps_max 0
in one exact moment while game is loading. Try using this command in similar condition as last time. Maybe some processes need to start at locked FPS and while still loading you force others to be fps unlocked and it works this way.

If you provide legit CS:S installator and step by step instruction I can spend some time setting fps limiters in random moments but does 4690k+gtx1060 provide enough FPS?
First off, thanks for your reply!
That sounds pretty logical!

I had fps_max 300 set in my client config (autoexec.cfg) at the time, loaded up the game, then typed fps_max 0 into the console (coz why not try it) and connected to the server. AND BAM.
I might have joined a server with fps_max 300 in place before doing this... I can't remember for sure, no matter how hard I try.

Idk how to provide u with those, I could buy the game for you on steam if that's sufficient? It's really cheap atm, only 2 eur.
It'd be great if you could try doing that!
I think with the right settings (640x480 res with my cutsom config file) an i7 4790k should be enough to push 1249+ frames on a non-demanding map like aim_deagle_7k or something even simpler.